Help me choose a concert in Venice

Old Nov 17th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me choose a concert in Venice

On an old thread I got a great link, www.turismovenezia.it, which has listings of events in December 2006. We'll be in Venice Friday and Saturday nights, 15 & 16 December. I was planning to look into a concert at Querini Stampalia. On both nights the Interpreti Venezia will be playing at the San Vidal Church which is on or near Campo San Stefano, where there will also be a Christmas Market open till 7:30 p.m.

However, I found on the turismo site that there will be a classical concert Saturday night by Orchestra del Teatro La Fenice. I saw a picture of the theatre and it looks gorgeous. Is that an opportunity we shouldn't pass up?

I'd say we could do two classical concerts, one Friday and one Saturday, but I think my brother-in-law will want to go to a jazz club. Know anything about Bacaro Jazz? We could do the jazz club on Friday. Or perhaps after the classical concert?
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM

Don't miss La Fenice. It is one of the grandest opera houses in Europe. Giuseppe Verdi premiered Rigoletto and La Traviata in that opera house.

It has recently been restored, because of its recent fire. Many tourist visit the opera house outside of the opera season.

I would purchase the tickets if I were you. I know that the opera sells out quickly.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

This is a concert by the orchestra del Teatro La Fenice, not an opera. But I suspect we should jump on the opportunity to see this opera house.
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Just a footnote about La Fenice. John Berendt wrote a book called "The City of Fallen Angels". It is about the investigation and rebuilding of La Fenice. You might find it an interesting read before you travel to Venice. John Berendt also wrote "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil".
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:24 AM

I was at La Fenice in September-it is exquisitely beautiful, and any sort of performance there should be a must-go event-do not dress down either! I have said a number of times on this site that one of the must-dos in Venice is a tour of La Fenice-is is VERY well done, very well worth the 7-8 euro admission, and then, come to the opera house for a performance in the evening, take a spritz in the bar/intermission area with its lovely and unfinished frescos (remaining from the fire) of Dante's La Divina Commedia on the walls. Exquisite pale pink and green color schme in the public areas, but oh, the ceiling of La Fenice - FAB!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:49 AM

Dear Judy

We too will be in Venice over the weekend of 15/16 December. I would love to go to La Fenice and so was excited at the information that there is a concert on Saturday 16th. However La Fenice web site says that there is is no concert that night. Where did you get your infromation from? I hope that yours is correct and that their web site is wrong!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 04:00 AM

Have seen Interpreti Venezia perform Four Seasons and enjoyed it very much. Also saw a performance at La Fenice and enjoyed that as well. If I had to choose between the two, though, I would probably choose La Fenice...the interior is stunning and at least as entertaining as the performance. The lights in La Fenice are dimmed - not turned off - during the performance so that you can continue to enjoy the beauty of the theater.

I have also had many drinks at Bacaro Jazz - we usually go before dinner but have only sat in the front room where the bar is. It seems to be popular and packed, but I don't recall there ever being live jazz while we were there. They usually just play jazz cds or dvds...and their website indicates live music "when we find good muicians in Venice."

www.bacarojazz.com

Another good place for drinks and lounge-y music (not necessarily jazz) is Centrale Lounge.

www.centrale-lounge.com
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 08:44 AM

bookmarking
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Look at my first post. There's the link for the site where I saw the concert info. I'm hoping that in December La Fenice will update their concert info.

I saw in a current guidebook that Bacaro has live jazz on Wednesdays, so we will miss it.

Gotta run but will check back later. Thanks, all!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Judy
After I posted my reply I did the sensible thing and used the link in your first email. Lots of useful stuff so many thanks for posting it. However no mention of the concert at La Fenice.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Street: click on Winter in Venice. The La Fenice schedule starts on pg. 14.
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we went to a concert in La fenice a few weeks ago. It is very beautiful and the orchestra was excellent. I'm sure you would enjoy this experience, if you enjoy music at all.
apart from the stalls, it is all boxes, so try to make sure that you get front row seats as there is no rake in the boxes.
I'd looked at the querini Stampini, but we ran out of time. THe building alone looks very interesting.
Can't help with the jazz, but i'm sure you'll enjoy the experience of anything you see there.
Good luck!
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

In case you didn't find it, SteelCityWoman, pasted below is the program. Sounds good to me! Let's check the La Fenice website again at the end of the week. Maybe it will be updated. Maybe I'll see you there!

sabato 16 dicembre 2006, ore 20.00 / Saturday 16 December 2006, 8pm
GIOACHINO ROSSINI
L’italiana in Algeri: Sinfonia / Italian Girl in Algiers: orchestral
SAVERIO MERCADANTE
Concerto per flauto e archi in mi minore op. 57 / Concerto for flute and strings in Eminor
op. 57
FRANZ SCHUBERT
Sinfonia n. 3 in re maggiore D 200f / Symphony No. 3 in D, D 200f
flauto / flute Angelo Moretti
Direttore / Conducted by Giampaolo Bisanti
Orchestra del Teatro La Fenice
Old Nov 26th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Judy-Bacaro Jazz does have live jazz on certain days, but it is mostly recorded music-everytime I pass that place (as I usually take apts. located within a 5 minute walk or so from there) it has been well-populated.

Beanweb mentioned Centrale Lounge-I've recommended this late night lounge/cool space venue a few times on this board-I really like it-I've been there for dinner, which was good (not great) but it's a real meeting place for the young professional Venetian crowd, few tourists, has a very cool bar, friendly atmosphere, and stays open until 2am. It is no more than two minutes from La Fenice directly down the calle opposite of La Fenice-everyone goes here for a post-theater bite or cocktail after a performance.

As for La Fenice, it rarely has operas performed here during the season-mostly concerts and ballets. You can get cheap 15 Euro tickets on the top balcony the day of the performance.
Old Nov 27th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Girlspytravel, thanks for the tips about the Centrale Lounge and cheap tix at La Fenice. I'll be interested to see when/if the concert is listed on the La Fenice website and what the ticket prices are.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

SteelCityWoman, I was just browsing classictic.com and found the following in Venice our weekend:

La Boheme at the Scuola Grande di San Giovanni Evangelista in San Polo, Sat., 12/16; 9 p.m., 40 Euros.

Virtuosi Di Venezia: Vivaldi and Opera
San Marco Chamber Orchestra doing a program of opera: Vivaldi, Mozart, Rossini, Puccini, et al.
At Ateneo di San Basso, Piazza San Marco, 12/16, 8:30 p.m., 25 Euros.

I'd happily go to the concert at Querini Stampalia Saturday night if the La Fenice concert isn't happening, as it's close to our hotel.

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:40 PM

One thing, Judy DO NOT let those those little girls who sell tickets at La Fenice (helloVenezia personnel) try to tell you that those 15 Euro tickets are not available. They DO that, you know, so you will buy the 100 or 75 Euro tickets, which you absolutely do not need for a concert-the acoustics are superb, so it really doesn't matter WHERE you sit in La Fenice-so you might as well get the best deal and pay the cheapest price.

On the other hand, for an opera, which are staged rarely there, you WOULD want a better, therefore, more costly seat, so that you could see all the action and set design.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, GirlSpyTravel. Should I phone in advance, go to the box office in advance, or just show up at showtime to request reduced tickets?
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:53 PM

Just show up about an hour or so before showtime-they INSISTED in the afternoon that there would be no 15 Euro tickets, or rather, one of them did. Then, when I showed up around 7:15, the other one said, "we have 100 Euro tickets available," and then I said, "what about the 15 Euro tickets on the top balcony?" "oh, we have some left at that price too" she said reluctantly.

I could have let them have it over this deception-but it was a magical night, so I let it go.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Better to just laugh that stuff off, I think, and be grateful you got your bargain. Thank you for your great advice!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information