HELP!!!! Lost Rail Europe Tickets

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up all of the documents, tickets, and vouchers for our August 8 trip to Croatia on Thursday. On Friday, I went and made colored photcopies of everything and made sure everything was organized. That is what I thought until today...when my son asked to see the documents. It was then that I realized I didn't have the original European train tickets and reservation for 4 people. I only have 2 colored photocopies.
No where on the Rail Europe tickets are there names...only that we paid for 4 tickets each from Split to Zagreb and Zagreb to Ljubljana. They only gave us a reservation for the Zagreb to Ljubljana portion. It also doesn't have our names, only seating assignments.
I can't get in touch with the travel agent until Monday, and I'm getting more nervous and sick by the minute. Does anyone know if I will have to repay to get new tickets, or can they void my photocopies and reissue me new tickets without paying? I'm praying that it is the latter, or I'm out around $600.
I'm not going to sleep very well until I know the answer. I'm so mad at myself because I'm usually so careful and organized with these things. I can't imagine what happened. I have checked and rechecked to find the originals.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM

Yave you checked the copy machine where you copied the tickets? I can''t think how often I've thought I lost something, only to find I've forgotten it in the copier.

When we bought our railpasses, we paid a small amount for ticket insurance. Maybe your travel agent included it as well?
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

I knew it wasn't the last thing I photocopied. I did, however, go back to Staples and we all looked everywhere and could not find it. As for the ticket insurance, I don't know if she got it.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Is there a travel agent out there who could possibly answer my question?
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 05:02 PM

Just call RailEurope, I've always found them to be exceedingly helpful. You may have to fax them copies of the tickets. I actually prefer to call them to make reservations rather than doing it online.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 05:27 PM
J62

Even if you've lost the tickets you can just go to the train station in Split and buy new ones.

According the Crotia train website http://www.hznet.hr/ENG/index.htm the price for the 5hr journey from Split to Zagreb is 147kn, which at 5:1 exchange rate to USD, that's less than $30. Since the Zagreb - Ljubljana crosses a frontier the website doesn't show a price. It's a 2hr journey, with trains leaving every hour. Since that is a freguently travelled route I can't see why a seat reservation would be required, just a ticket.

Train tickets do not have any names on them, nor do seat reservations.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

J62..I'm not familiar with the rail in Europe..this is my first encounter. However, I think we purchased 1st Class tickets because they were 94.00 USD each for the Split to Zagreb train, and 39.00 USD each for the Zagreb to Ljubljana train. Since I had the tickets for the 4 of us, and lost them, I feel responsible to pay for new ones if needed.
That is why I'm hoping there is a better way to do this or I'm out another $532. I would like to be able to use that as more spending money.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 06:19 PM

My understanding has always been that the "pass protection" plans (mentioned by other posters) from RE are only for passes, not point-to-point tickets.

You may be out of luck unless some other form of insurance was purchased but I would call them anyway.

Buying tickets in Europe is often cheaper than buying them through an agency for a couple of reasons:

there is often a mark-up over the original price

RE charges a shipping and handling fee that would have been tacked on

RE charges MUCH for for seat reservations than you pay for the same seat reservations in Europe.

I hope things work out for you.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Hasn't this ever happened to anyone before me that could offer some advice?
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM

I really am sorry about your problem. But I feel people here have given you alot of advice, but they won't know the answer. Perhaps you should take the advice about calling Rail Europe since you purchased the tickets from them. And they are better able to advise you anyway.
Old Jul 29th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Agreed...but I am going to have my Travel Agent call on Monday. She is very well informed on most aspects of traveling. I was just hoping to get an answer from someone who had the same problem so that I could sleep a little better until Monday.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 07:39 AM
ira

Hi LS,

Good thing that you made copies of the tickets.

Turn this over to your TA. That's one of the things that you are paying her for.

Sleep well.

Old Jul 30th, 2006, 08:08 AM

OK....the one time I lost a point-to-point rail ticket in the past I had to pay to get a replacement.

The insurance plans only cover passes and only if the passes are stolen or lost IN Europe.

I personally don;t think having copies of the tickets is going to do you an ounce of good but I honestly HOPE I am wrong AND that you'll tell us what happens.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry for your predicament. Hopefully your Travel Agent will be able to advise you on the best course of action on Monday.

I have no personal experience to share because I always simply purchase a point-to-point ticket at the train station right before I take the train.
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

I personally thank everyone for your suggestions and compassion. However, at 5:15 PM today Staples called to tell me that they found my original tickets!
I am ecstatic!!!! Now I can get really excited about my trip next week!!!!
Old Jul 30th, 2006, 07:16 PM

That's great Isscancun! Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:50 AM
ira

Good for you, ls.

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:59 AM

Glad to hear the good news - now have fun getting ready to go!