Reload this Page >

Help in Portugal!

Search

Help in Portugal!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:16 AM
david

Help in Portugal!

Couple in early 50's, unable to enjoy hiking and climbing due to some physical restrictions. Staying 7 days beginning 6/19 and need advice. Planning 4 days in Lisbon at the Metropole with day trip to Sintra and ? Also like to spend three days at the beach in beautiful area for easy walking with great food and shops. Is Cascais or Lagos better for delightful beach town experience? and where to stay if money not an issue for hotel with access to above. Thanks for your help.<BR>Kim

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:04 PM
msa

I do not know about Lagos, but we stayed in Cascais and loved it. The hotel we stayed at (Aug'99) was the Hotel Cidadela, which I believe is a Best Western. The rooms were great and the staff extremely helpful. It was within walking distance of everything...only a couple short blocks from the water. We never needed a taxi, and we had two children with us. Just a wonderful town and we would love to return!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:45 PM
Julie

I, too, enjoyed Cascais. There is an area of old elegant homes, some needing repair, that speak to an era of greater wealth than at present. Makes for an interesting walk. We tried but were not at the right place at the right time to see their wholesale fish market. Buyers sit stadium style and bid on large fish as the catch comes in. Again, an interesting experience if you can observe it.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Kristen

Also really enjoy Cascais...beautiful little city!<BR><BR>Recommendation: If you must stay 4 days in Lisbon, please consider staying the remaining 3 in Sintra. Sintra is absolutely gorgeous - very small, quaint town with amazing castles. Sintra is extremely accessible to Cascais via car and rail (and Sintra itself is a short drive out of Lisbon). There are many things to see on the "outskirts" of Sintra high in the hills - the Convento dos Capuchos (sp? Translation is Convent of the Corks) is a treat to see.<BR><BR>Have been to Portugal twice, and Sintra remains one of my all time favorite cities in Europe. You won't be disappointed!<BR><BR>In Sintra, we stayed at Casa Miradouro (www.casa-miradouro.com)and loved it. You may also want to check in to alternative lodgings if you can afford the best!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Marilyn

I'd be curious to know how your visit goes as next year that is our destination. Please let us know. M.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:33 AM
www.tourist-in-portugal.web.pt

Hello. Cascais is in fact a good place to walk around, though I personally like Lagos very much. The best thing in Cascais, is that is near from Lisbon, which means that you can stay there, and easily come to Lisbon, everyday (you have a train that starts -or ends- in Cascais, that comes to Lisbon every 10 minutes or so)Also Sintra is near Cascais (there are bus connections) and it's all very near.<BR>Have a great time.