Search

Help in Greece

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 02:33 PM
David

Help in Greece

This is probably an oft asked question but I would like some help from some of you who have traveled in Greece. <BR>My fiance and I are planning on going in June and would like a little advice on visiting the islands. We would like a good mixture of culture as well as some relaxation on the beach and nightlife. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>David.

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 02:42 PM
fiona

quite a difficult question. i suggest that you do a subject search on Greece and see what you think you might like and then ask this site for more specific information. However, I'll start the ball rolling and suggest Crete and Rhodes. crete has everything you mentioned and more. Rhodes town ( the old part) is fascinating and has the added bonus of being able to also do a day trip to Turkey!!!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 02:48 PM
fiona

try scrolling down to the 27th October and you will find a post about peoples' favourite places in Greece. That's a good starting point!!!

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 03:02 PM
Thyra

Hi David, <BR> <BR>www.greektravel.com has a great alphabetical listing of all the islands and what they offer in terms of entertainment sights, atmosphere etc. Matt Barret knows Greece very well and will respond to questions personally. <BR>One Caution: We used the Rental car company mentioned on his web site and had a negative experience, so I would not recommend them. But the hotels he mentioned that we stayed at were great. <BR>

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:03 PM
Felicia

I would be more than happy to answer any specific questions you have about Greece if you want to email me. I just returned (well, in late Sept.) I was in Athens, took a day trip from there to Mycenae, Epidaurus, etc. <BR>Then I went to Santorini, Crete & Rhodes. So please feel free to email me w/ ?s. <BR>I will tell you that I loved Santorini and wasn't crazy about Crete, but only because in Crete I stayed only in Heraklion. I understand the rest of the island is wonderful, so the next time I go, I will definitely visit other areas. Heraklion is just like a mini-Athens, IMO. <BR>I've heard wonderful things about Mykonos re: nightlife, but I didn't go. Rhodes is beautiful. <BR>The people in Greece are absolutely fabulous and helpful and very very honest. <BR>If you want more info, please email me. <BR>Oh & about Matt Barrett's site, I would also like to add that the costs to use the travel agency he recommends is higher than just booking the hotels yourself thru greecehotels.com. And if you want a cell phone, wait till you get there, where they are a lot cheaper than using the one on his site. Lastly, if you want a transfer set up, George the Famous Taxi Driver is also a lot higher than if you use Keytours.com. Otherwise, Matt's site is extremely informative and helpful and fun to read. <BR>Felicia

Old Oct 31st, 2001, 05:48 PM
monica

Tony and I enjoyed our trip to Greece this year. Please see my travel page at http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html At the bottom is the link for our trip to Greece! Enjoy!!!

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 12:56 AM
Jenny

Hi, <BR> <BR>My boyfriend and I have spent 3 summer trips in Greece, and I'm happy to answer any questions you have about Crete, Zakynthos, Kefalonia, Athens, Aegina, Agistri, Hydra or Poros. If I know the answer, I'll let you know! <BR> <BR>We stayed mainly in apartments on the islands, and hired them for a week or 2 week stay, then took side trips to other islands. The apartments were cheap enough that it didn't really matter if you paid to stay a night in a hotel elsewhere, whilst still paying for the apartment. <BR> <BR>It really depends on what sort of holiday you are looking for, where I'd make a recommendation on where to go ... scenery, histroy, beaches??? Let us know, and we'll see if we can help! <BR> <BR>Jenny

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 01:00 AM
Jenny

Oops... jsut looked again - you said what you were looking for.... <BR> <BR>Hmm.. I'd maybe suggest Crete (eastern side of the island) or the Ionian islands. <BR> <BR>Crete - we stayed in a little place called Elounda, near Aghios Nikolaos. It has a lovely beach, and is close to many other places, without being too busy. You can take the ferry to Spinalonga Island - a former fortress and leper colony, go to the archaological sites at Knossos and Malia, and also tkae trips to the Samarian Gorge, for stunning scenery and walking. <BR> <BR>Alternatively, the Ionian islands of Zakynthos and Kefalonia are also interesting - Kefalonia for the scenery and history of the WWII occupation, etc., and Zakynthos for stunning scenery, beaches and wildlife. <BR> <BR>Any other questions, let me know, and I'll rack my brians! <BR> <BR>Jenny

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 03:00 AM
Tina

Thyra <BR>Would you please give us more details about your car rental experiences in Greece. We are going there in April and are thinking about using the same company. <BR>What work and what did not work? <BR>Thanks

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 05:44 AM
Karen

My husband and I honeymooned on the Greek Islands just this past May-June for 3 weeks. We had an absolutely amazing time. My husband took care of all the details, so we didn't use any travel agencies or tour groups. We visited Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Santorini and Crete. <BR>Santorini was our absolute favorite. We stayed in a traditional cave hotel in the town of Oia. It was called Esperas Hotel, and the view from all the rooms was phenomenal. I could have spent the whole honeymoon there. There are tonnes of restaurants and shops. In the town of Fira you will find lots of nightlife. <BR>Mykonos was gorgeous too. We stayed at a hotel called Cavo Tagoo. It was just outside the main town. The beaches on Mykonos are not that great, but there is a huge amount of nightlife, shops and restaurants. <BR>If you go to Crete, skip Heraklio all together. It's really dirty and not too interesting. We only stayed a couple of days to see the museum and go to Knossos Palace...I have to say that Knossos Palace was a huge dissappointment. If you want to see ruins, go to the island of Delos off of Mykonos. It's truly fantastic. <BR>I could go on and on. My husband kept a journal, so if you are interested in knowing more about the trip and how he planned it, just drop me an email. <BR>Karen

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 05:47 AM

topping

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:37 AM
topper

Topping to push all those ridiculous "Which Country" threads down.