Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! I'm suddenly traveling alone in less than 2 weeks.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:31 PM
kathleen

My travel companions cancelled and I am left to rearrage my three week trip to Venice, Como, Florence and Cinque Terra. (Oct. 10 - 31) My accommodations have to be rearrange to meet my new (cheap) budget. Any recommendations.... Does anyone have a similar itinerary?

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:36 PM
JOdy

No specific help for you , but just a word of encouragment... YOU GO GIRL, Good for you!

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:39 PM
Deb

Kathleen, I wish I could go with you, all my favorite places! In Cinque Terra I would recommend Hotel Villa Steno or Hotel Pasquale. I stayed at Villa Steno and it was around $60 per night for a single with a balcony. In Florence I stayed at La Residenza which was around $100 for a single. It was very nice and centrally located but I am sure you could find something less expensive there.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:56 PM
john g

I don't know if you want to go up to Lake Como now, it is the rainy season. My mother just got back and said it was cold and poured every day.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 09:04 PM
Helen Donegan

I agree with John - Como can be depressing at this time of the year - 5Terre will probably still be ok but it will depend on the weather - maybe you shouldn't book anything there, you will find rooms available if you decide to stay. <BR>The centre and south of Italy would be better bets and you could make more use of the tourist information offices to find accommodation when you are here - or have some addresses with you of places you have learnt about on fodors.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 03:54 AM
Sue

Hi Kathleen. On ricksteves.com, there is a section entitled "Travel Partners Wanted." I'm sure that you are not the only one to find yourself in this situation. <BR> <BR>I wish you and your former travel companions the best, it's a difficult time.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 03:59 AM
nancy

kathleen, <BR>what is your budget anyway? <BR>might be easier to recommend. <BR> <BR>also, have you thought of apartment rentals? <BR>There may be some great studios/1 bdrms in your price range. <BR> <BR>Keep us posted.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 05:20 AM
Vita

My Let's Go Guide recommended Istituto Gould in the Oltrarno in Florence. I haven't stayed there but it sounds nice. I don't think it's technically a hostel but it's as cheap as one. They have single rooms with bath but they might not be available on such short notice. Good luck! I'm traveling alone too and I can't wait!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Heather

Kathleen, perhaps, at least one of the following three can help: <BR> <BR>Venice, Hotel Galleria (http://www.hotelgalleria.it/indexbri.htm) has a VERY small single room (bathroom down the hall) for a great price and a Grand Canal view with breakfast served in the room. The hotel is often recommended here, so may be booked. <BR>Cinque Terre - Monterosso - stayed 3 nights at the Hotel Pasquale (http://www.pasini.com/ - they own 2 properties) last year in a double, which was around US$90-100 with breakfast and a large, clean room. <BR>CT - Riomaggiore - stayed one night here b/c Pasquale was full the first night of our visit. Used Edi Apartments (http://www.wel.it/Welcome/Liguria/Ci.../index.uk.html) with bad luck but others here have posted much better comments ... and the price is dirt cheap. <BR>Florence - stayed in an awful noisy place my first trip in '97 (too near the train station) so won't recommend it. But, next year, am staying at P. Soggiorno Battistero(http://www.soggiornobattistero.it/) based on friends' (and posters) recommendations and it is very reasonable. Was booked at La Scaletta (http://www.venere.it/firenze/lascaletta/) for a cancelled trip last Dec., which is very cheap, but received some mixed comments in the last 10-12 months. <BR> <BR>Hope some of this helps a bit. I think it's great that you're going on with your plans. My first solo European vacation was this Summer and it was the trip of a lifetime. I hope that you have a wonderful vacation!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 07:04 AM
bb

Perhaps we overlap...let me know via this board and I'll email you directly. I'm a female solo traveler too but always by choice--- I'm so long in the museums and churches that my companions always get too bored! I'll be in Venice October 8-14 (The Biennale is still going on if you're into Modern art) and at Bellagio on Lake Como from the 14-17 (I got a room at Hotel dulac for $100/night---don't know if that is too much for you...) You're gonna have a wonderful time!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 07:53 AM
Heather

I'm sorry for the funky width on my prior message. I forgot to mention the hotel in Bellagio that was great for a reasonable price: Albergo Silvio (http://www.bellagiosilvio.com/home_en.html), which has tremendous food. It is a 4- or 5-minute walk outside of the actual town. Very reasonable with smal balconies overlooking the lake.

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 08:01 AM
Helen Donegan

Hi Kathleen <BR>I am really getting excited about your holiday - looks as if you are already going to have company and you have a lot of hotels to choose from etc. <BR>If you need any help or just a chat while you are here you can email me and I will send you my number - I hope you won't need to but it might be good for you to know there is someone here in Italy who cares - and with a name like Kathleen we must have a lot in common!!

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Howard

Just to balance the weather reports from Lake Como. We were there last year at this time, and the weather was beautiful!

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 12:01 PM
kathleen

Thank you all so much. You have helped to ease my anzieties with your emotional support and concrete recommendations. I'm following up on the info provide. Heather - a special thanks for the email addresses, very helpful. BB - the Biennale sounds fabulous, I had planned to be in Venice 16.10 - 20.10, when does the exhibit end? Helen, wow! I have been trying to obtain names and numbers of people in Italy...just in case. Yes, please contact me. My first time using Fodors forum and can't say enough positive things about the site and the people.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 08:15 PM
john g

Im almost positive that the Biennale is over on November 4.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 01:00 AM
axio

i was travelling alone for 3 plus weeks in europe and was staying in of cos hostels cos i m such a cheapskate. <BR> <BR>I have very good impression of Archi Rossi a hostel just 2 streets from the train station and within walking distance to the city area..it is reasonably price and they sells some snacks and drinks at prices you can't find outside to the hostelites. also the place is clean and artistic places with drawings on the walls and sculptures in the hostel. Toilets can be found in the room too. However it is always full very early in the day and your only hope of getting a place is if you reach there probably before 9 am. They don't take reservations by any other means <BR> <BR>have fun <BR> <BR>btw italy is damn hot, i got sun burn, other than my eyes area where i was wearing my sunglasses, the rest is so tan now...spain and italy would be the only 2 places now in europe you can wonder around in just bermudas and t-shirt

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 07:59 AM
advice

Just go and not worry.

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 08:07 AM
bb

Katheleen, here's the web site for the biennale...if you do go, don't miss the exhibits at Arsenal...always some VERY interesting art and installations. <BR> <BR>http://www.labiennaledivenezia.net/ <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, the dance and music performances attached to the festival are over for the year but when you're in Venice, all you need for a great evening is a glass of vino and a view! Have fun!