Help, I'm Eating Alone

Search

Help, I'm Eating Alone

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, I'm Eating Alone

Due to some upcoming knee surgery, my wife will not be able to go on our planned trip to Switzerland and Rome in late March and early April. I've wanted to be in Rome during Easter Week for many years so my loving wife has given me her blessing to fulfill my dream. That being the case, are there any suggestions/tips on eating alone in Rome restaurants. Can you still order that highly suggested antipasto dishes at restaurants like Orso 80? Are there certain items that you can't or shouldn't order? Thanks, Mike
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:55 AM

I've done the solo route several times. Eating alone in restaurants is the hardest part of going alone. I found that writing in a journal at a restaurant helps alot - or take a book to read. Ask to join someone else if you are brave. I also noticed that some snooty restaurants are hesitant to seat you if you are alone.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:23 AM
JonJon

Any restaurant in Rome or any other city which is "hesitant to seat you because you are alone" (and who knows...could it possibly have been hesitation because the way thse poster LOOKED???) doesn't deserve your time or money.
What would be on the menu that you couldn't order because you are alone?

Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 08:42 AM

I don't think you will find very many things on the menu that are for 2 people only (all I can think of off hand is rack of lamb and that's not so common in Italy). And any restaurant should welcome you - alone or not - as long as you're dressed appropriately. I have done this frequently since I travel on businees a lot and add 1/2 vacation days to each trip when I can. I don't recall any restaurant ever being unwelcoming to a single woman - and in fact many are extra solicitious.

I just be sure to bring a book with me - or postcards to write. The diary idea is also a good one if you do this on your travels.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM

No offense Mike, but haven't you eaten alone in a nice restaurant here in the USA? Try it before you go, to get used to it, I'm not kidding.

You order what you will eat like in any other country, you might have to order a smaller bottle of wine, but maybe not.

Don't think of yourself as half of an absent duo, think of yourself as a whole person and you will have more fun and less stress.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
good advice from nocinonut. When my husband was a journalist and had to work holidays, I often ate out alone, so when I travelled by myself alone in France, it was not a problem at ANY restaurant.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

After reading the last two messages, I thought I'd better reply. I guess my primary reason for the post did not come acroos CLEARLY. It WASN'T merely eating alone, but eating alone in Rome. Is it any different from the FEW times that I've eaten alone in the USA? Do ROME restaurants act DOWN on solo patrons ect.. Thanks, Mike
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:05 AM

Only problem I had with eating alone was that I couldn't enjoy a whole bottle of wine! My wine choices were limited to the house wine or any that could be served by the glass. That being said, the wines in Italy were still great.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:09 AM

Mike, Rome is an international city, there are businessmen (Romans and others) eating alone there every day of the year. You'll be fine, don't worry.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:10 AM

At my former job I flew all over the world and ate alone at hundreds of restaurants. That's business and most business travelers are used to it. (I usually bring my laptop/journal with me.) In today's world, most people will assume you are a business traveler.

If you are not confident enough to eat by yourself, try a sushi bar. Casual outdoor cafes in Trastavere are also less intimidating because so many people are milling about on the street you will just become part of the background.

I would order whatever pleased me.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:21 AM

I find eating solo a much more enjoyable , comfortable experience in Europe than in the USA . Here in NYC - singles (which there are a lot of us) tend to be marginalized - bad table, indifferent serivce, etc. And then there are the looks: What's wrong with him/her?Doesn't he/she have any friends? I prefer dining alone than dining with someone who annoys me. Take a book, write in your journal, catch up on postcards - or be real daring, and just sit there and learn to be comfortable not doing anything. My sense is that in Europe, solitude isn't look upon as weird. You're a paying customer.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:23 AM

Remember, too, that if you go to dinner much before 9 in Rome, you might really be literally alone in the restaurant!
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:27 AM

I have traveled alone many times, and only once was I refused a dinner reservation because I would be dining alone. That was in Rome, restaurant is Vecchia Roma. They're unlikely to get my business in the future.

When solo I usually write in my journal as mentioned above. Doesn't have to be a lot of writing, just notes for future reference on what I did, where I ate, what it cost, etc. I have often found it easy to strike up conversations with neighboring diners, especially if I hear English spoken. Sometimes it is they who speak to me first.

Also, maybe some Fodorites are going to Rome at the same time, you could post a new heading here and see if anyone wants to join you for a meal or a drink.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 10:29 AM

I meant to add, that contrary to the JonJon posting above, Vecchia Roma refused to reserve a table for solo me sight unseen, I'd asked my hotel to arrange it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Elaine, thanks for your usual insight to travel "situations", especially the one on the separate post for a Roman Fodorite "get together". I will do just that as the departure date gets closer. I'm leaving for Switzerland on March 24th so I'll plan on my post toward the end of February. If anyone else has any additional ideas, I'd love to hear from you. Mike
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:00 PM

I generally travel alone and have run into the problem getting a table in a restaurant by myself a couple of times in many trips.

My "take" on this is that, if the restaurant does not want my business, I will go elsewhere.

I often write in my journal, peruse my itinerary for the next day or read a book while I wait for my food.

Solo travel has a lot of advantages (no negotiating about what to see and when to keep a group happy) but eating in restaurants is not one of them.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:12 PM

I also will bring a book or magazine or if possible sit at a place on a patio or with a view so I can people watch...I'm sorry your wife cannot go, but I hope you have a wonderful time !
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 02:26 PM

I notice that it is two of the women posters who were refused tables, I think that has to do with stereotypes of women more than solo diners.

Mike, I don't think you will have any trouble at all dining alone, as was mentioned before, there are many businessmen dining alone in Rome at the better restaurants, just make reservations, too.

BTW, I will be in Rome on the 28th of March, we could start a Fodorite dinner party, if you are there those dates.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 03:29 PM
AC

Mike:
I'll be in Rome with my Mom March 29, 30 and 31. So if you would like dinner companions let us know!

I have never had a problem eating in restaurants solo. I travel for business occassionally and don't like eating in my room. I have never had an unpleasant experience in restaurants and find people will chat with you because you are solo! I have met some very interesting folks and email a few to this day. Good luck!!
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:05 PM

Mike, The menu will tell you if an item requires two people to order it. There are a couple items the restaurant prefers to prepare for two (or more) people and I've never been anyplace that didn't print that on the menu. Fondue in Switzerland comes to mind. If you tell them you are on a special trip and are just dying for it, they may serve you anyway but I've never tried that.

Enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -