HELP!!! How do I get around ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In about 6 weeks I am going to London, Paris, over to Scotland, then to Dublin, and back to London before going home. I am really watching my expenses, but I have no clue what would be the easiest ways(low cost too) to get around. I don't want to drive -or my vacation would be wasted on me being lost- which I do all the time here at home.
If any one has any suggestions- I would greatly appriciate it!
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:17 PM

Do you mean, how to get around within the cities? Or how to travel between your destinations?

London to Paris- best bet is to take the Eurostar. You can and should book your ticket online asap.

From Paris to Scotland, you should look into the budget airlines. Flybe and Ryan Air fly from Paris to various cities in Scotland. http://www.whichbudget.com/

To and from Dublin I don't know, flying again might be the best option. You should also book your flights asap because they only get more expensive as the departure date gets nearer.

You definitely don't want a car in any of the big cities.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM

First off, have you bought your plane tickets already? Flying open-jaw could very well save you some money, since you wouldn't have to pay to get back to a city you've already into.

I think flying is your best bet to/from Dublin. Ferries take a long time, and you have to add in the cost to get to and from the ferry ports. (The ferry doesn't go directly from London to Dublin, for example - you have to get to Holyhead, in Wales, first.) London-Paris - I agree with the Eurostar. You might could find a budget air ticket for less money than a Eurostar ticket, but you need to consider the cost of getting to and from each airport. Plus you'll save time on the train.

If you mean getting around within cities: For London, the Tube and buses are not very expensive at all. If you're really, really on a budget, you can just use the buses, but I think the Tube is easier if it's your first visit. All you need is an Oyster card; the ticket agents at the tube stations are very helpful in figuring out the specifics, in my experience. Dublin also has buses. Where are you going in Scotland? Edinburgh has a bus system, but honestly I spent a couple of days in the historic centre a couple years ago and just walked everywhere. Walking is always cheapest!
Old Apr 3rd, 2010, 06:21 AM

Bus is the cheapest means of public transport, and there are those who will tell you it's the best way to meet people, too.
Old Apr 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

I was looking more from city to city... We plan to do a lot of walking, and busses inside the city.
In Scotland I am going to Stirling.
I don't know really what there is to do outside of the Castle nearby- but this really isn't about hitting tourist spots, it's more about just immersing in the local culture and enjoying a rest.
Thanks for all the help so far.