Search

Help - Honeymoon trip to Greece

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - Honeymoon trip to Greece

Hey everyone,

I'm a new member here. I'm hoping that some of you can help me plan our honeymoon trip to Greece! My wife and I will be going on Sept. 11th for 11 days. We've asked around and read quite a bit, so have some idea as to what we want to do. At the same time, the info out there is overwhelming and contradictory. It'd be great if you can offer some insight into transportation, itinerary, restaurants and site-seeing activities!

Here's what we're thinking...

Sept 11-13th morning - Athens
13th-20th evening - Santorini (Day trips to Corfu and Naxos)
20th-21st - Crete
21st night - Athens
22nd morning - back to the grind

We're thinking about flying from Athens-Santorini-Athens. Is that a good idea?
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 08:06 PM

sgshah --

We all wish that you had posted before you made arrangements. I am quite sure that you already have booked a nonrefundable hotel accommodation on Santorini for 7 of your 11 days. So we cannot advise you to divide your oh so short honeymoon holiday differently.

The insight we can offer is:
(1) you cannot do a day trip to Corfu -- have you looked at a map?? It will take you 15-18 hours even to REACH corfu.
(2)You cannot really even do a day trp to Naxos. The first ferry going there would not get you thre until after noon. ANd the last ferry back would leave around 4:30. So you would not even get far from the harborside.

(3)Crete is an island 125 miles long -- it is a COUNTRY. You can get there in 3 hours or so...but what can you see in 1 day? And then u would go BACK to Santorini? I don't get it.

The reason info seems contradictory to you is that you are trying to plan moving around to Greece sites as if Greece is all one piece of flat land you can drive on, at will. It is not. It is mainly little bits of land sticking up out of water...getting around is tricky. THat's why people do well to figure out transportation FIRST before booking hotels.

I think you're better off just enjoying your Santorini hotel for the whole time -- unless u can cut a couple of days off the stay, and ferry to Naxos for 2 days then fly to Athens.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:14 AM

Travelerjan is absolutely right. You have way too many days on Santorini. It's lovely, but not for that long. Perhaps a few days on Mykonos or another island that isn't too far away.

Do you fly into Athens in the morning of the 11th? I can't work out what happens to those two days.

How about Athens, Mykonos, Santorini Athens? Catch the ferry to Mykonos or Naxos, ferry to Santorini and fly back to Athens.

Yes, I would fly to Santorini, the ferry trip takes at least 4 hours and to be honest, it's fairly boring. The flight is about 30 minutes plus check-in time etc.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

Already some great advice! I appreciate it. To answer your question travelerjan, I have booked accommodations but they are REFUNDABLE
So, I'm very flexible when it comes to rearranging my itinerary. Cathies, I get into Athens at 10:30 a.m. I have read about Mykonos and Naxos. I was not as intrigued by Mykonos (not looking for a noisy party hot spot during my honeymoon) as I was about Naxos. I can forget about Corfu (i had seen the map but added Corfu last minute without looking at it). I read a few threads on this board and found out that a day trip to Crete is do-able from Santorini, though not ideal. I'd appreciate your input as to whether that's a good idea.
How do airfare (Athens-Santorini) compare with the price of traveling through a ferry? Also, is it better to go to Naxos first and then to Santorini or the other way around?
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 02:55 AM

Ordinarily it wouldn't make much difference whether you go to Naxos or Santorini first. In your case, though, I would recommend flying directly to Santorini upon arrival in Athens. You arrive in Athens at 10:30am, and there are Aegean Airlines flights to Santorini at 1:00pm and 5:45pm. Save Athens for the end of your trip.

From Santorini you can take a ferry to Naxos or whatever other island you choose for a second destination. You won't have time for a day trip to Crete - ferry timetables are against you. Also remember that travel by sea is a slow process - even the fastest ferries (catamarans) can only reach speeds of about 40 knots (46 mph).
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 07:01 AM

You really don't need more than a day or two in Athens, so yes, visit on the back end of your trip.

I think you need to figure out what you're looking for before you decide on a second island destination. I haven't visited Naxos yet, so I can't help you with suggestions, but we loved Crete, and found plenty to do there ( sightseeing, (museums, ruins), hiking, beaches, great food!) for several days.

If you decide to visit Crete, you can connect straight through from Athens. The flight is less than an hour. Either base in Chania, a gorgeous old harbor city that blends Venetian, Turkish, and Greek culture, or at one of the beach resorts, if you're looking to relax and unwind honeymoon style.

From Chania, you'd have to take a bus or car to the city of Heraklion. Then the Fast Cat or regular ferry ( about 2.5 hours) to Santorini.

I don't think you need more than a couple of days in Santorini. I'd recommend basing in Oia, a beautiful town perched on the edge of the caldera. It's a lovely town to wander in,( great restaurants, shopping, AMAZING views!) and very close to Amoudi Bay, which is home to several amazing seafood restaurants all right on the water.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Sq, Weadles has given you a very good sequence if you want to go to Crete. I can do similar if you want to go to Naxos. But YOU have to decide which -- we can't make up your mind for you.

Here wonderful slide shows of both Crete and Naxos by that fabulous Fodorite expert, Stanbr:
NAXOS http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT
WEST/SOUTHWEST CRETE -
http://travel.webshots.com/slideshow...IfhIZX6W_oSgrr

Crete is much Bigger, and you need to rent a car and devote 4 days to it, but if you really have "read quite a bit" you will know of its charms. I advise Western Crete, not east of Heraklion (a long strip of concrete hotels for Brit package-tours).

CRETE OPTION --As soon as u land in Athens you can fly Aegean air to Chania..spend 2-3 days around there, take another day to drive leisurely to Heraklion; next a.m.,get fast-ferry (daily 9:45 am) to Santorini, arrive by noon. Do 3 or 4 nights in santorini, find an Aegean air flite to Athens.

NAXOS OPTION-- On arrival fly Aegean or Olympic domest to Santorini, spend 3-4 nights, take Blue Star ferry to Naxos for 3-4 nights. YOU can do with out a car, tho u may wish to rent for one day to zip around the whole isle. Either fly back to Athens, or take 6 pm Blue Star ferry (arrive 11:30pm or so) taxi to Plaka-area hotel. 2 days of Athens' famous sites, then off you go!

IMPORTANTine up your transportation FIRST!!! Only then notify Santorini hotel of your booking changes. After that, get your Naxos or Crete hotels -- no problem at all in Sept. Email me for some ideas.

Either sequence will give you a nice contrast, and not be too rushed -- and you'll enjoy it a whole lot more than trying to do Day-trips. Enjoy!

PS: Just checked on Sept 12 (that IS your arrival date, right? and there are Aegean Flights to both places about 2.5 or 3 hrs after you land. -- for Santorini, an Olympic flite also, but not enuff time for u to make the connection.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Original Poster

So after having looked at both Crete and Naxos, I think Naxos will be better suited for what we're looking to do.

My updated itinerary...
9/12 - arrive in athens at 10:30a.m.; fly to Santorini
9/13-15 - Santorini....My wife booked (cancelable) at Studios Marios. Are there any better places that we should consider? (Budget: $150 U.S. per night)
9/16 - Santorini to Naxos (Blue Star ferry)
9/17-18 - Naxos (recommendations for hotels?)
9/19 - Naxos to Athens (TBD either fly or ferry)
9/20-21 - Two full days in Athens (Lodging: Holiday Inn...we're getting a discounted rate of $40 per night at Holiday Inn a few miles from the airport. Is transportation convenient from where we're planning to stay or should we consider spending more and staying at a more central location?
I'm a graduate student, so the idea of saving a few bucks appeals to me, but if it's going to be a hassle then I'd rather just spend the extra money.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

A slight error in my previous post. Our arrival time in Athens is 9:25 a.m. (not 10:30 a.m.)on 9/12
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 01:00 AM

Even better! That gives you extra time to catch the 1:00pm flight to Santorini.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 01:12 AM

That sounds much better. I think you should try to stay closer in to the city, the airport is a fair way out and you will waste time getting to and from the hotel, plus if you want a break at some point during the day it becomes difficult. Check out the "Fresh Hotel" - a very funky hotel. Right in the centre of the city, offering 170 euros per night incl breakfast. The hotel has a roof top pool and very funky bar with views of the acropolis. It would be a delightful way to finish your honeymoon. We stayed there in 2006 and loved it.
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 03:21 AM

I agree with the advice above. The airport is about 40 minutes from the center of the city. It will be a hassle going back and forth, and limit your nightlife.
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Hey everyone,

We tried to make a ferry reservation from Crete to Santorini, but it turns out that they charge a 30 euro fee to ship it to US or a 10 euro fee to ship anywhere within Greece.
Is it necessary to pay this fee and if not, what are my options?
Old Aug 16th, 2008, 05:14 PM

If you book the HS FlyingCat 4 using the Hellenic Seaways website's booking function, you can opt to pick up your tickets in Heraklion in their office at the port. There's no need to spend more money to have them delivered to you. I recommend that you book now and don't take the chance on the ferry being booked later on when you need tickets.

If you use the Amphitrion Holidays website you can pick them up at their travel desk in the Main Hall of the Athens Airport. They're open 24/7.

http://amphitrion.forth-crs.gr/english/npgres.exe?pm=BB