Help getting from Split, Croatia to Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please help. We want to take bus and/or trains from Split to Venice in October. No ferries due to sea-sickness,weather,time of year. Can we get a bus from Split and if so how far does the bus go on this link, where would be a good stop between Split and Venice, where do we get the first train, and how long of an adventure will this be? Any help appreciated!
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM

From Split you can take a bus to Rijeka or Zagreb. You can also take a train from Split to Zagreb. There are several trains a day on this route.

From Zagreb there are direct trains to Venice. I don't know exact timetable, but I believe there is at least one train a day. Zagreb could be a good place to spend a day or two in October.

If you decide to take a bus to Rijeka from there you can catch a bus to Trieste in Italy and from there either a bus or train to Venice. I think from Rijeka there should be direct bus lines to Venice as well, but I'm not sure. If not there are for certain buses to Trieste and from Trieste there are numerous buses or trains to Venice. I wouldn't spend much time in Rijeka. But a day or two in near Opatija would be nice. Opatija should be no more than 15-20 minutes by bus from Rijeka.

You can also catch a direct bus Split-Pula, spend a couple of days there or in near Rovinj and then catch a direct bus from Pula to either Trieste or Venezia.
Brioni - Pula based bus company:
http://www.brioni.hr/brioni.asp?m=linije
It's only in Croatian but easy to understand. Please take a note that Trst is Trieste in Croatian. At the top of the page you will see Pula-Split timetable. "Prometuje svakodnevno" means "Runs every day".
At the bottom of the page you will see Pula-Trst-Padova (via Venezia ? Venice) schedule.
1,3,4,6 - runs every day except Sunday
2,6 - runs every day

See this site for good information about travelling from Croatia to Italy:
http://www.visit-croatia.co.uk/trave...ound/italy.htm
Train timetables for trains across Europe:
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Train timetables for trains across Europe

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Jonas,
You gave me exactly what I needed! I had even contacted the Croatian Travel Bureau and they gave me minimal information with links only in Croation!
You are a great help! Again, thank you for your time!!!! Any hotel advise for Zagreb or Rijeka (Opatija)?
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:15 AM

Hi bugdoc, I am glad when I can help, so np at all.
I live in Zagreb so can't really give you advice about hotels because I never used any of them. If you want a good location then hotels Dubrovnik, Palace, Opera, Esplanade, Sheraton, Ilica are all fine. Esplanade is located right next to the train station, but it is very expensive. Palace is not far either (walking distance) and it is cheaper than Esplanade. Other I have mentioned are just a few tram stops or a short taxi drive from the train station. Ilica is the cheapest but got bad reviews on this board.
http://www.zagreb-touristinfo.hr/index.php.en

Opatija has many hotels, but again I can't give you a personal advice. You can choose from mid range to luxury. Mid range hotels with great location are Admiral and Kvarner, but Opatija is small so almost any hotel has a good location. Kvarner is one of the oldest hotels on the Adriiatic where kings and queens used to stay.
http://www.opatija-tourism.hr
Pdf file with prices for hotels on the above site is only in German and Italian - prices are for one person in a double room, half-board (breakfast and dinner included).

I hope someone else can help you more with the accommodation.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 06:19 AM

Jonas, You are such a valuable addition to our little (growing) Croatia fan club!
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:00 AM

The most comfortable way is to take an overnight ship to Ancona then a train, or the coastal ship to Rijeka, then a bus and train. The Adriatic is very rarely rough and the coastal journey is well sheltered by the islands.
If you want to go by bus or train, look at a map. Neither Zagreb nor Pula is on a direct route from Split to Venezia. There is no railway along the Croatian coast, but there are buses about every hour via Zadar to Rijeka; from there, take a bus to Trieste, then a train to Venezia. There are through buses but they are likely to go overnight.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:21 AM

bugdoc,

Geoff has it nailed.

The Jad overnight ferry from Split to Ancona is the way to go. The Adriatic is like a lake, and this "ferry" is almost cruise-ship size.

The Ancona train station is about a mile north of the ferry terminal. An afternoon stop in Padua outside Venice is well worth it (there is a convenient baggage-check counter in both Padua and Venice). Plus, the train is a nice way to arrive in Venice.

Having said and done all that: My next trip to Croatia will include a visit to Pula and a few days to explore the hill towns on the Istrian peninsula above the sea.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:09 AM

Geoff and metlc are right. I never mentioned ferry because bugdoc specifically asked not to.
Waves on the Adriatic can not be compared to those on oceans. But it has to be said that in winter (or in October for that matter) it is not unusual ferry lines (even local ones) being cancelled or bridges and highways along the coast being completely closed for all traffic due the strong winds. This usually doesn't last long, half a day, 24 hours, rarely longer than that.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 08:21 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry for piling on with an ever-so-slightly OT post...

Jonas, we have a friend working in Pristina and we're thinking about heading out this autumn to the Croatian coast for a few days, (don't know precisely where just yet) then travel to Pristina to spend a few days with him.

Do you have any ideas on how we could manage this? There wouldn't be a problem returning from Pristina - plenty of daily flights to London etc. But the overland (or short flight? From where?) portion of the "open jaw" has me stumped.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:01 AM

Gardyloo, sorry but I don't have a clue. I have never been in Kosovo or that area.
Probably the easiest way would be to take a flight from Skopje in Macedonia via Zagreb to somewhere on the coast (Dubrovnik, Split). See Croatia Airlines web site www.croatiaairlines.hr

You could also go by bus via Montenegro but I assume this would be a long trip including several bus changes. Most likely there are direct bus lines between Pristina and Podgorica in Montenegro and also between Podgorica and Dubrovnik, but I know at the Montenegro-Croatia border you have to switch buses and walk over the border to catch a bus on the Croatian side waiting for the passangers from Montenegro. Ridiculous, I know.

Try posting your question on Lonely Planet message board:
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com
I'm sure somebody there has done it before.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Grasshopper, thank you.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 09:21 AM

Never been to Croatia..But after reading all these nice reports about the beauty of the countryside, I am getting very curious to visit this country.
I am planning to fly to Venice next year,and from there take the trains to different locations in Italy..

I was planning to visit the Gorgeous Amalfi Coast...But now I started to wonder, that because Cratia is not too far from Venice, to perhaps go there also.

I imagine the cost of life is still quite economical ..

Anyway, thanks for all these useful informations, I am going to save them ,just in case..
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM

kismetchimera,

You CAN have your cake and eat it too. We did it. We left Ravello at 9:30 AM, plenty of time to bus down to Salerno for the train over to Bari in time for the evening overnight ferry to Dubrovnik. Gotta watch the scheduling, as it changes after September (we caught the last summer departure).

Ravello/Amalfi is nice. Croatia is more diverse and half as expensive.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 10:39 AM

I am afraid that costs in Croatia and Slovenia are much the same as those in southern Italy. The reference library of a city near you may have the Thomas Cvook Europoean Timetable. This shows services thus.

To 30 September Split 1954, short night with 1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers, Zagreb 0453 to 0546, Ljubljana 0505 to 0600, Sezana 0752, taxi 30 minutes and 15 euros to Trieste about 0830, leave 0833, restaurant car train, Venice SL 1017. At Sezana you should leave the station, go forward and look to your left for a café and hotel. You should pay them to phone for a taxi for you. If you do not catch the 0833 from Trieste you can try for the 0847 or the 1047, without catering. 15 hours.

Split 2143, 1, 2 and 3 berth sleepers, Zagreb 0630 to 0755, Ljubljana 1005 to 1025, buffet car train, Venice SL 1425. 17 hours

Split 0900, no catering, Zagreb 1610 to 1810, restaurant car to Jesenice at 2125, Ljubljana 2031 to 2035 (from 30 August not Sats nor Suns), Sezana 2226, taxi 30 minutes and 15 euros to Trieste about 2300, unpleasant night, leave 0430, Venice SL 0635. 21 hours

Split 0900, Zagreb 1610 to 2117, restaurant car train, Ljubljana unpleasant night 2328 to 0250, sleepers and couchettes, Venice SL 0925. 25 hours

[email protected]
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Just when you think you cant't get your trip planned, Fodorites step up to help! Thank you all for your assistance. We will continue to work out the details and can't wait to go! Any advise on must sees/eats/buying, etc. since we will see a lot of the coast line from Cavtat to Venice (with stops)..Again, THANKS TO ALL!
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 12:43 PM

Thanks again for all the informations..
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 05:56 AM

We are arriving by private yacht to Umag on 15th/16th October and will need to get to Venice for our flight home. Please can you advise if there are any ferries that operate at that time of year and/or if there are any buses from Umag to Trieste & onwards to Venice? Any help in your research would be most helpful!