Reload this Page >

HELP: Florence, Venice & Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:53 AM
Michael

I'm leaving in 6 weeks for my honeymoon in Italy - 3 days in each city (Venice, Florence & Rome). <BR> <BR>My initial thoughts are to take a 1/2 day tour in each city and then "wing-it" the rest of the time. But, I want to make sure not to miss any must-see sights. <BR> <BR>Any suggestions for museums, tours, restaurants, etc. that we just CAN'T MISS? <BR> <BR>Thanks for the feedback...

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:09 AM
Booboo

Hi. <BR> <BR>Rome: St. Peter's <BR>Florence: David <BR>Venice: Forget the tour. Just walk...and walk. And hold hands. And ride a gondola. <BR> <BR>Best wishes.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 08:12 AM
Teresa

Congratulations!! The cities you chose are simply beautiful and very romantic!! I suppose the city tour will be enough to get a picture of the most important things to see. <BR>In Rome you should have dinner in Trastevere once, because it's very typical. <BR>And in Venice just walk around and get lost in those thin little streets and don't forget to take a gondola!! Day or night is always beatiful. <BR>In Florence I remember a typical market near Ponte Vecchia - don't miss it. <BR>Have a wonderful time!!

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:13 AM
Carol

Your instincts are correct. We recently took a 1/2 day tour and a 2 hour tour in Rome. We learned so much about the history, art, artists, etc. which made the experience really come alive. <BR> <BR>There are excellent tour groups which run tours in Florence and Rome. If you want the info, let me know. <BR> <BR>Suggestions: <BR>* Gelato is a must--every day! <BR>* Mozzarella di Bufalo <BR>* Wine, wine and more wine <BR>* Michelangelo's David <BR>* Botticelli's at the Uffizi <BR>* St. Peter's in Rome <BR>* The Pantheon in Rome <BR>* Santa Croce in Florence <BR>* The spine chilling sound of the bells on Sunday morning in Rome <BR>* The view of Florence from Piazzale Michelangelo is outstanding...but just turn around and you can see Tuscan hills. Or the view from the Boboli Gardens. <BR> <BR>Have a great time.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:43 AM
Book Chick

Michael, <BR>Congratulations to you & your future spouse! This is a great way to see some areas of interest in a short time & then relax & not stress. (And who knows? You may decide to return & see a bit more on anniversaries or birthdays in the future!) <BR> <BR>Suggestions for Venice include the Campanile of the Basilica San Marco, the Scuola San Rocco, the Accademia gallery or a tour of the Jewish Ghetto. Walk about, take a gondola ride, enjoy a drink in Cafe Florian in Piazza San Marco. A restaurant called Sole e Luna is really good. <BR> <BR>In Florence, see the David, enjoy the Boboli Gardens, eat gelato (Vivoli is the tops!), have a romantic dinner at Da Noi (located at 46 r via Fiesolana, it's very small & intimate, so you might need to reserve ahead), there are still carriage rides (catch them near the Duomo), take a bus ride (very short & inexpensive) up to Fiesole to enjoy the view. Also, go to the church, San Miniotto & enjoy the view. Il Cavallino at 4 r via Farine is also a nice restaurant, a bit more casual. If time allows, do the Pitti Palace. Walk, walk, walk, it's a great city for that! <BR>Buon Viaggio, <BR>BC

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 03:37 PM
Surlok

Michael, <BR> <BR>In Venice, have lunch at the Hotel Danieli's roof top restaurant. You'll get a magnificent view of the basin and Santa Maria della Salute, you'll eat very well, and the service is wonderful. It is very romantic and classy setting, and still affordable. <BR> <BR>Cross Rialto Bridge and go to Ca Foscari, where there are lots of stores selling masks, and window shop there. <BR> <BR>Allow yourselves to get lost in Venice. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip and honeymoon, <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 09:46 AM
Janda

Venice is so romantic. Do yourself a favor and get up real early in the morning and go away from all the tourist areas to the little back canals. This is what dreams are made of. You will remember this your entire life. It is pure magic.