Help! Flatotel International Paris

Jun 27th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Help! Flatotel International Paris

I urgently need help and advice on the Flatotel International, rue du Theatre, in the 15th arrondissement. I am leaving for Paris in a week, and have made a 6-night reservation at this hotel, because I used to know the neighbourhood, and the photos on the web seemed quite nice. I just read some HORRENDOUS reviews on this hotel (boarded up windows, elevators that are not working, dirty rooms, facade falling down, etc...). I am horrified, and need some input from anyone who would have seen this hotel or has stayed in it. If it is truly as horrible as that, I need to make cancellations very quickly and find another place to stay. I only found 4 reviews on this hotel (one of them actually good!), still I am now in a total state of panic. Should I really believe it to be that bad? Any advice/opinion would be appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Jun 28th, 2003, 07:24 AM

On the "positive" side:
La réception est excellente, les appartements spacieux et bien équipés. L'hotel est sans bruit. bref un séjour excellent !
Pierre Hazard de France le 4 avril 2003
http://www.cybevasion.fr/hotels/fran...mentaires.html

According to one Web description, "The hotel underwent a renovation in 2000, bringing its facilities to modern standards of comfort."

On the "negative" side:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...de_France.html
- user review states that several rooms were broken into and hotel was not particularly responsive. User cancelled remaining nights' stay at no cancellation cost.

The other comments you have referred to must have been the ones on Travelocity. All in all, it doesn't sound like an appealing choice, and I sure hope a Fodorite can give some personal feedback very quickly to you. There must be available alternates at the price you were quoted for this establishment. Tell us your 'requirements' as many folks will have suggestions for you.
Jun 28th, 2003, 07:48 AM

I'm back... just trying to help..
How about Novotel Tour Eiffel (formerly Hotel Nikko) at 61 quai de Grenelle if you are looking for a 'business class' hotel in the same area? This site offers a double including buffet breakfast for 191 euro.
http://www.abouthotel.com/hotel/checkallot.php?stylex=y
Even better, the Novotel website has an Internet rate of 175 euro or a Last-Minute promo rate of 130 euro for a standard room with 1 queensize bed. The 20 euro (!) breakfast is included in the Internet rate, but not in the Last-minute rate. http://www.novotel.com/novotel/index.html

We stayed here in 1998 as a Paris stopover on a Trafalgar tour of France. It was a very large, business-style hotel with possibly the largest room I've seen in Europe thus far. Nicely appointed, had a view over the Seine. A little "off site" to us at the time, but would be no issue for you since you're familiar with the local area.
There are lots of smaller properties at lower rates, but not sure what you're looking for. Hope it all works out for you..
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your answers. What I am looking for, since I am staying in Paris from Sunday to Saturday is an apartment hotel. I used to live on the Front de Seine and am very familiar with the area, that is one reason I chose that particular hotel. I need a place with a kitchen and basically the convenience of a hotel (i.e. I don't really want to rent a private apartment because of the problems of picking up the keys and returning them). I know the ex-Nikko, excellent location, but ... no kitchen! I have heard of the Citadines (several locations in Paris), but they those hotels are quite a bit more expensive. As well, according to Expedia web site, there is teh "Residence Hoteliere du Champs de Mars". Any thoughts on that one? Should I stick with the Flatotel at least to try it?
Jun 28th, 2003, 09:40 AM

Back again... I don't know a thing about the Res Champ de Mars. There isn't much on the web either, I think I looked for it in the past.
Back to the Citadines apt, did you look at the rates on the website? A studio w/ kitchenette and double/twin goes for 98-130 euro ( I plunked in July4-11 for an idea).
I do recall some favorable comments on Citadines in Paris on Fodors.
Well, maybe someone else will chime in...Best wishes...
Jun 28th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Dear Travelnut,

Thanks for your help. Back to one of your earlier replies, yes I read those horror stories about the Flatotel on the Travelocity website. Anyway, the Citadines I looked for were a bit more expensive than what you are quoting (of course I am being picky and want to stick to a more central location, I don't want to be at Austerlitz or Tolbiac, too much traveling time to go to the center of Paris). So I guess I will take my lumps and try the Flatotel for one night. I will most definitely post a review on this site, to warn against or recommend that hotel when I am back. Thanks again.
Jun 28th, 2003, 01:14 PM

The Citadines location I found was the one at 132 Blvd de Grenelle in the 15th ("Tour Eiffel"). It was on the hotel website, http://www.citadines.com/uhot/uwres_ltpms71.htm - the price for a studio / twin was 130 euro from July 4-11.
The la Motte-Picquet-Grenelle metro is a 'correspondence' station, so very convenient.
OK, I will stop here - don't want you to think I am browbeating you into this apt, b/c I've never stayed there and can't comment on the quality.
Enjoy Paris!