Help....first trip to Italy....Oct. 2007

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking at going in October 2007 for a 10 year Anniversary. We're looking at 3 weeks between Venice, Florence, Umbria, Tuscany and possibly Portofino. We've just begun the research phase....one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Please help us with:

1) How early should we book?

2) What are the above regions like in Mid- Late October?

3) We're looking for a mix of the full experience: Tuscan Farmhouses, places off the beaten path, plus a romantic luxurious stay here or there, open air markets, cooking classes, etc. Any insider tips that fit the bill above...please share.

Grazie!

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 12:21 PM

We have been to italy several times in october. All of Italy is fine in October, with the possible exception of the far north where temperatures may start to get cold, but not cold enough for skiing, but I don't think you are interested in skiing.

As for booking, it's a personal preference. I usually book everything in advance (weeks to months) as we like to stay in one place for several days and it's important to us to find nice places worth staying in for a few days. It's essential to reserve as far in advance as you feel comfortable, particularly in the big cities. However, be sure to ask specifically what the hotel/B&B cancellation policy is. October 2007 is still pretty far away. It also depends a lot on your budgetary preferances and what kind of places you are interested in. B&B's and agritourismos often ask for a deposit, but hotels generally do not and you can cancel pretty close to the scheduled arrival.

Do a search here for the places you are interested in and you will find hundreds if not thousands of threads.

You can also check out my website which includes several trips to italy.
http://www.travel.stv77.com/

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 10:46 AM

For something special you may want to check out Castello di Velona just outside Montalcino in Tuscany. We stayed 5 nights here in Oct 2005. It was beautiful. We got it at an auction through Luxurylink.com for 1/3 the going rate.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:21 AM

For Venice, you must book now, and I mean it: not tomorrow. Today. The best places could already be booked for your preferred dates. October is still part of the high season.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:07 PM

No, do not book today, it's waaaay oo early for October 2007 - no one will take reservations 18 monthes in advance. I think franco thought you were going this year. I would expect to start making reservations towards the end of the year.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Excuse me - I seem to go blind prematurely! Yes, you've written it clearly enough: 2007. And yet I've read 2006... of course, there's no need to book now for 2007. Obviously, everyone reads what he wants to read... again, sorry.