Help:First time to germany.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:54 PM
kin

Help:First time to germany.

hey,
this is the first time i'll be going to germany. i'll be staying in north germany for about ten days and then in south germany for about two months. i am a student (will be doing internship in some company there) and so i have a limited budget. so i ned advice on what places i should go to (in the north and in the south).
kin

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:02 PM
Thyra

You can do a search on this website under Germany, but I think you'd be better off going out and getting a copy of Let's Go Europe 2001 (I think they even have a let's go Germany) that is targeted to students and backpackers. Also check out Lonelyplanet website which, though kind of troll filled, can give some great advice for students and back packers. Be sure you get a student ID and plan to stay in hostels, which are a great source of information in and of themselves, by way of the people you'll meet.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:40 PM
kin

thanks thyra,
i'll try to get a copy of lets go europe or germany 2001... whatever...
so you think i should stay in hostels . .i was thinking about that myself but i dont have any idea about the charges... moreover is it necessary to have a students ID???
kin

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:53 PM
Thyra

To get into official hostels I believe you need a Youth Hostel ID, but the reason you need a student ID is for all the wonderful discounts you get when going to see sights, castles museums and such.
You don't have to be a "student" to stay in an hostel, but some have age limits (some don't)and curfews.
They are typical dormatory style rooms, but if you want to know, for example, where the clubs are or the local music pub scene these places are invaluable. All the technical stuff, about hostelling etc. is in Let's Go.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:55 PM
Thyra

Ops forgot, prices... it's been a few years since I stayed at a youth hostel : ) but price info will also be in Let's go or Lonely Planet, they are usually pretty inexpensive, (under $50.00 I suspect) and geared for backpackers on a tight TIGHT budget.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Cindy

In response to your e-mail on where to go in Southern Germany:

You absolutely must see Neuschwanstein near Fuessen, plan a 1/4 to 1/2 day - walk up and around for the views. Actually, you can have a horse and carriage take you up, but you're young. If you're down there, continue on to Garmisch-Partenkirchen for a look at an Alpine ski village, plan on hiking here. At the top of (I forget the mountain's name) you can see 4 Alpine countries. - 1/2 to 1 day and on to Munich - worth 1 day unless you need a day to recover from the Hofbrauhaus. Avoid Oktoberfest like the plague unless you have seat reservations or are seated, you will NOT get served. Not to mention, as the night progresses, you need to select your neighbor well i.e. can this person hold their liquor? Bathrooms - if you're a guy, you're o'k., a girl, better go at the first sign of pressure, you get to stand in line to buy a ticket, then stand in line again to go.

You can also stop over at Lake Constance a.k.a. Bodensee, it has a really nice garden. In warm weather you can boat, etc. Actually, you could go over the border to Innsbruck... Forget Oberammergau (it's filled with tourbuses, old folks, and really, you can see all that it's about in a travel magazine, not to mention you've missed the Passion Play). Of course, there's the spectacular Black Forest (Freiburg vicinity). Another really neat car trip is the Romantic Road, Rothenburg is the main town here.

Depending on how in depth you like to see a city, you can do all the towns I mentioned above in 4 days if you have a car.

In Munich, eat Weisswurst with sweet mustard and beer for breakfast. If you're in the Frankfurt (Hessen) area, try Aeppelwei (this I probably spelled incorrectly) it's apple wine that is only available in this area of Germany.

Northern Germany, I studied in Bonn which is a very nice town, Duesseldorf has good shopping, Koeln has it's cathedral, a River cruise on the Rhine is enjoyable. I recommend renting a car, rather than training it everywhere and just start driving, stay in hotels and rooms outside of major towns (they are cheap,clean, and safe) and to avoid parking travesties, take the local train in from the smaller town.

Have a good time.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:01 PM
Art

I mostly agree with Cindy except I would not miss Oberammergau. I think that it's a charming city and with the passion play over, there should not be the crowds. Since you'll be there two months, take your time and enjoy the bavarian towns. If you have a chance visit Salzberg. Its a charming city. The name of the mountain by Garmish is the Zugspitcha(sp). Have a great time.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:36 AM
tushkool

hi kin,
peculiar name!!!
just one suggestion...you must visit this great town called emmendingen near freiberg...lots of friendly people there!!!!

tush.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 01:49 AM
Stephanie

Forget the car....BIKE!! Especially in all those "university" towns in the north. The cities are so bike friendlt, with rules of the road everyone actually follows!! There are bike lanes and bike street lights, plenty of bike parking and the gas is much cheapetr!! True, you don't cover the ground you might by car but the flavor you get is better. We love Munster and everyone does everything by bike. You will find many town have cheap bikes to rent by the day, week etc. In general you'll find the Germans very earth anmd environment conscious. And besides, after a couple yummy beers, who wants to drive (Germans are also very conscious about drinking & driving). Koln is supposed to be a fabulous town as well. We're going next month for Karnival. Good Luck!!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 04:41 PM
kin

guys...
i'll keep in mind what you just told me...
thanx for all the suggestions...
kin

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 06:36 PM
kin

hi tushar,
so you find my name peculiar?? actually this is not my real name. my real name is Khatarnak. is that peculiar too?? hope you respont to this message. i am curious to hear from you.
kin