Reload this Page >

Help Early flight out of Malpanesa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:36 PM
Kate

Hi all,<BR>I have a 8am flight out of Malpanesa airport in Milan. I only reach Milan at 11pm the previous night from Florence. Woudl it work for me to stay at a hotel near the Central station and take the 5:15am train to malpanesa?<BR>Any suggestions are mch appreciated.<BR>Thanks,<BR>Kate

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:38 PM
Rex

My short answer would be yes - - you can find several similar threads on this exact subject recently - - but you will need to know the correct speeling of MXP airport: Malpensa.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 01:38 PM
Rex

Yikes - - how funny! - - the correct speLLing!<BR>

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 02:34 PM
GAC

Be aware that you will be taking the early morning BUS from Milano Stazione Centrale to Milano Malpensa Airport, NOT the train!!!!!!!!! (the airport trains leave from Milano Cadorna Station, which is far away from the Centrale Station).

Old Aug 21st, 2002, 05:08 PM
Leo

This past July I took the 6 am (first train) from Cardona station and made my 8am flight with plenty of time to spare. It was hassle free all the way. In my opinion the train beats the bus to Malpensa every time. There are plenty of hotels on Via Dante in Milan which is a 15 minute walk (with luggage) to the station.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 05:09 AM
up

up<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:10 AM
Tess

I've taken both the bus & the train (Malpensa Express) to get to/from MXP Airport. I do agree with Leo that the train (departs from Cardorna Nord station) is easy --- however you do have to schlep your luggage down a flight of stairs --- Cardorna is on the subway line. However as you'll be arriving into Milan's Centrale station late (& hopefully the train will be on time), then it doesn't seem worth the extra minutes for you to then get over to a hotel closer to the Cardona station. If I were you, I'd stay in one of the hotels immediately by the Centrale station --- then take the early shuttle bus out to MXP. The MXP website should have information on bus schedules.<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:14 AM
Tess

FYI, Kate, I checked on site for 'Malpensa Shuttle' and the buses start running at 5:00 am with departures every 20 minutes. To confuse matters further, I believe there's two companies that run a shuttle bus service to MXP -- the aforementioned shuttle and another, which is also called the Malpensa Express (same name as train).<BR><BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:12 AM
Kate_m

Thanks so much. I think we will stay at a hotel close to Central Station and the 5am shuttle.<BR>Any ideas for a budget hotel close to the station? <BR>Thanks again,

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:28 AM
Rex

While this not intended to be a substitute for a personal recommendation, let me point out that the search engine seems to be working in a much improved fashion. (How long has this improvement been working like this?) - - in any event, search "via Dante" as suggseted above - - here on this forum, and you will get EIGHT threads with suggestions that are right on target.<BR><BR>This is in sharp contrast to the 48 hits you get from "via and dante" - - or the thousands you get from "via or dante".<BR><BR>This is search engine news in fodors forum history, isn't it?<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:10 PM
GAC

I can personally recommend the three-star Hotel Florida on Via Lepitit 33, round the corner from the square from where the buses depart. Two minutes on foot. Quiet side street. Drab building (built 1949), but clean, modernized rooms with private baths, a/c, and a miserly continental breakfast. Nothing to do or see around the Central Train Station. Buses to Malpensa are: Malpensa Express and Malpensa Shuttle (your choice), both taking 60 minutes, and leaving every 20 minutes from the south(west) side of the Central Train STation. Tickets as you board.

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 12:11 PM
GAC

The breakfast begins at 7:00 a.m., so it would not apply in your case!

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 06:40 PM
Kate_m

Thanks a ton for the valuable info. Hotel Florida it is!<BR>kate