Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Milan one night- stay by train station or by airport?

May 9th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Sister and BIL are staying in Milan one night before a flight out. Is it best for them to stay close to the train station, to catch the bus to the airport, or is it better to find a hotel close to the airport? If they stay in the city, is the bus the best answer or a cab?

Thanks!!
May 9th, 2009, 11:47 AM

We recently flew out of Milan, and had an early morning flight. We stayed at the Villa Malpensa, near the airport, which is nothing like any airport hotel I have ever seen. It was a beautiful villa. I would recommend it.

We took the train from Bologna to Milan, and right outside the station, there was a bus to the airport. It was easy to find, and only cost 7 euros a person. The airport was very far away. I think a cab would have been astronomical.
May 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Sandi there is also a train from Milano centrale station to Malpensa.
May 9th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Hey EK!! OK, here's the deal...they will have one evening on Milan with an 11:15am flight the next morning. They want to see a little of the city, dinner etc so is it best to stay in the city and deal with a bus or train to the airport or do whatever in the city and catch a train or bus to the outskirts (like the Villa Malpensa) and stay the night?
May 9th, 2009, 12:32 PM

Ekscrunchy is in error. There is NO train from the Centrale station. There is only a bus and it takes an hour or a bit more depending on time of day.

There is a train from the Cordorna station on the west side. The train is closer to 30 mins and is connect via metro to the Centrale station but it is far easier and just as quick to take the shuttle bus if you are staying near the Centrale station.

The decision to stay at the airport is really dependent on the flight time departure. If it is early morning flight (prior 9 AM), then staying at the airport is smarter.
May 9th, 2009, 12:36 PM

Stay in the city within a couple blocks of Centrale. Lots of nice hotels in the area and catch a 7AM bus and they will be in good shape.

Also, could be nice hotels around Cordorna but I am not familiar with that area. That would save a little time and be more convenient.
May 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM

eks - I have only taken the bus to Malpensa, but I believe the train is from Milan Cardona, not Milan Centrale.
http://www.malpensaexpress.it/en/il_...o/servizio.php
May 9th, 2009, 01:49 PM

It's Cadorna station, actually, and the area around Cadorna is nice and well-located for a bit of sight seeing if your family will get into Milan early enough to take advantage of their stay there. If that's the case then I'd recommend a hotel near Cadorna (I can help you find one if you're interested) and the Malpensa Express train to the airport the next day. The train is very quick and very easy.

If they're getting to Milan too late for anything more than dinner or if their flight is very early than a hotel near Malpensa is probably easier.

A hotel near Centrale and the shuttle bus to Malpensa would be my last choice, as Centrale isn't as convenient to the sights and the area's a bit seedier, plus the bus ride is longer than the train ride. I'd only recommend this option IF your family was arriving in Milan via train (specifically a train on the state railway system, FS, not Ferrovia del Nord, which they could be if they're coming from some areas in northern Italy).
May 9th, 2009, 01:55 PM

Hi Sandy,

I've done the night before the flight out of Malpensa dozens of times. If your sister and BIN want to spend the evening in Milano, I strongly suggest they pick a simple hotel near the Stazione Cadorna which is a great location near everything. This way they can walk to the station in the morning and hop on the Malpensa Express train to the airport. The trip takes about 40 mins and is very easy. Two hotels that I recently have been using are Hotel King and Hotel Star. Both of them are fine for one night and most importantly, you can walk to the Duomo, Galleria, Castello etc. as well as Cadorna station the next morning.
May 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

LaContessa, thanks for your reply. I think that's a sound one too because they will have some daylight hours (depending on which train they take from Venice) and a bit of sightseeing would be good. Since I have never stayed in Milan, hotel recommendations in the Cadorna area would be nice. Their budget is 250-300 euro per night for 2 people.
May 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Sandi, Hotel King should be in their budget. It is a great location only a couple of blocks to Cadorna. You can also easily walk to the Duomo, La Scala, etc. They recently updated the rooms and they are clean and comfortable. I don't think they will be disappointed.
May 11th, 2009, 08:19 PM

Hello Sandi, the train from Venice will deliver them to the Central (Centrale) Train Station in Milan so they will need to get themselves to the area of the Cadorna Train Station which if it was me with luggage I would use a taxi.
May 12th, 2009, 11:02 AM

Interested also--- Bookmarking
May 12th, 2009, 11:45 AM

I can also recommend the Hotel Star, but I checked the website for the King Hotel mentioned by LaContessaM. When I plugged in a random date in October (when I usually travel), the rate quoted by the King was amazingly reasonable. The Star only quoted a slight discount from its usual rate for the same date. The Star is closer to the Duomo, but the King is closer to the Cadorna station.

FWIW, I always choose the Malpensa Express Train over the Malpensa Shuttle Bus. IMO the timing is more reliable and the ride is more comfortable.