Search

help deciding on destination with pregnant wife

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help deciding on destination with pregnant wife

Hello everyone!

I'm going to be a daddy for the first time! we are so happy and we still are thinking of going on vacay to Europe this year before it gets too late for my wife to travel. Our doctor has told us that she can not travel after Aug. 20th. With that in mind, I've been thinking of going to Portugal (the algarve) or possibly Croatia end of July - beginning of August. We are flying from NYC area. Does anyone have any other similary experiences (ie. pregnant spouse)? traveling abroad and if so, do you have any recommended destinations that was perfect?

We thought of the algarve because it has beautiful beaches, sand! unlike Croatia which also has beautiful beaches but they are all rocky beaches.

Any comments or feedback will be appreciated.

C
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Are you sure this is wise? It will be peak season in Europe, so beach resorts will be crowded and often noisy. The Algarve will be heaving.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 05:45 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming arrival! What about Malta?

I traveled to Seville, Madrid & Lisbon while pg with my first child, and to London while pg with my 2nd. It was not an issue either time, although I did find I tired more quickly with my 2n pregnancy and could not do as many walking-type activities as I would have liked. Just plan accordingly and you'll be fine.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:15 AM

One thing to consider, just in case, is the availability of hospitals that you would feel comfortable going to, if there was a problem.

I travelled to Italy when I was 12-14 weeks pregnant (or so; can't remember exactly). While in the Cinque Terre, I developed some minor problems. After consultation with my midwife in the U.S., she felt that one day of bedrest and limiting activities thereafter would be sufficient. Everything turned out ok, and I now have a lively and healthy 9yo. But we did have some anxious moments trying to figure out how quickly we could get to a hospital from the middle of the Cinque Terre.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:29 AM

I don't know about Portugal, but Croatia will be HOT. Do not go to any place in Croatia that you have ever heard of (in order to escape crowds). Believe me, it will still be beautiful. The pebble beaches are quite nice. Check out the croatia-beaches website to find them.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 06:30 AM

I am expecting my first child in the beginning of July.
Hubby and I took a 5-day "babymoon" to St. John in March (I was about 5 months pregnant) and it was wonderful!!! I Highly recommend getting away together to "prepare" for a changed life ahead!

The only advice I would give is that you might consider going earlier rather than later if possible. Im a pretty active person and have had a relatively problem-free pregnancy. At 5 months I was able to do all activities comfortably....I walked, swam, snorkeled, climbed stairs with ease.

Now that I am 7 months pregnant however, I am starting to slow down. I feel a bit winded when walking, am more tired than usual, have some hip pain, and am just generally more uncomfortable walking, sitting, bending over, and sleeping. If you do go somewhere at this late stage of pregnancy I would factor in more "down-time" than you might at a normal vacation. But keep in mind that the earlier you go in the pregnancy the more energy and stamina your wife will have.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:00 AM

With a really pregnant wife, I hope your plan is a completely relaxing vacation. It wouldn't be wise to have her walking a lot. You might also do a lot more than the normal research on health care in the areas you are considering. Which country would you like your wife to have an emergency delivery in? It sounds pessimistic, but health care and your insurance coverage in another country isn't guaranteed to be the same quality you are used to.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:05 AM

I think both will be too hot !!! And probably Algarve beaches would be as crowded as the spanish beaches are at that time of the year. I don't know really what tolerance to hot weather will your pregnant wife have. I've never been pregnant but I don't think on going south in summer (and I live in Spain). I always think on the UK, Netherlands, Ireland, Scandinavian countries...
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to everyone's input.

We were thinking about Cinqueterre, but we discarded it because of too many steps and what not. Although, we love Croatia, we thought the pebble beaches was going to be uncomfortable for her.

When thinking of the Algarve, I was thinking of going to Salema and the surroundings. We've been to this little village twice already and we felt in love with it, but I'm also nervous about if "worse" case scenario she needs to go to the hospital.

I'm not sure whether to do the 2 weeks vacay or just one week.

Normally, I plan this vacations with no worries, but now that we have a baby on the way, I'm more nervous on her health and what if something happens, but at the same time I want to make sure she enjoys a nice getaway somewhere fun and relaxing.....again, thank you for your input, and I can always welcome more

She doesn't tolerate heat very well, at least not as much as I do, and that's also one thing that i'm considering. Even if we go somewhere here in the States, it will be HOT or humid. If we go to the caribbean, then it will be just HOTT and on top of that is hurricane season.

I'm even thinking on going to Peru (that's where I'm originally from) but then if she needs to go to the hospital, the healthcare is not the greatest, and it will be winter time down there. Or even going to Poland (that's where she is from) but she doesn't want to go there either....aughggggh!
C
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:33 AM

AS Kenderina suggests consider northern Europe. Plenty of nice sandy beaches and interesting places to visit. I'm not sure how pregnant she will be when you want to travel but I would go as early as you can, so she is more comfortable, and things will be less crowded. The Algarve will not only be hot but also busy in July/August - it is peak holiday time for most of Europe!
Check on the airline you want to use too - some have very early limits on pregnant women flying.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:39 AM

If you REALLY want to do this....you should do it NOW. As in before, say, May 15. I can't IMAGINE how difficult it could be for your wife (and, therefore, you) Aug. 1. It's going to be JAMMED with tourists, WAY more expensive and Unbearably HOT. (I don't do very well above 80° anymore.) Put another way, let's say you knew a couple in the same circumstances, from...say...PERU. Would you recommend they go to New York City on Aug 1 when she was 8 1/2 months pregnant???
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks again to everyone's feedback. She is on her 3 month right now, so by middle-end of july she will be on her 6th month.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Carlos,

two suggestions - the beaches of northern germany would not be too hot and would be relaxing but with sightseeing avaiable if you wanted it. and the medical system is very efficient and up to date.

or an italian lake - we went to maggiore when I was 5 months pregnant [21 years ago, amazingly] -and it was a great mix of activity and relaxation, especially with the boats.

congrats and good luck,

regards, ann

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Carlos,

A couple of things...

Every pregnancy is different, but without being too blunt...if you can do this at 5 months you will likely have a romantic and lovely time which I think is important as you end the couplehood phase of your family life and move into parenthood. By 6 or 7 months it may be a bit of a project for your wife and she may not be too interested in <i>you</i> anymore...or in travel. She may be tired, nervous, and thinking about decorating a nursery.

My husband and I traveled to California from NYC at 5 months and had a lovely and romantic time. Not long after that (unrelated to our travel) I was put on bed rest and grounded until the baby came...

If you have to wait until later in the pregnancy, why not stay more local?

Wherever you go, keep your wife very hydrated. Even a little dehydration can lead to premature labor.

Enjoy each other!

gruezi
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:34 AM

You should just be aware that your doctor is ont the only decisionmaker. Some airlines won't allow women to fly if they look &quot;too prenant&quot; - which can obviously vary a lot based on how she is carrying the baby. So - just be sure she's well within their rules as well.

(A friend of mine was turned away from a flight in her 5th month - although from looking at her you would think she was further along. The pilot didn't want to take the chance of having to make an emergency landing if she went into labor.)
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

thank you all! We might have to stay local after all. This could definitely open up a whole can of worms sort of speak, and I definitely wouldn't want my wife to go thru any inconveniences. I'll definitely check the airline restrictions in regards to pregnant women, etc etc.

Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:03 AM

And another caution - my husband is an ob/gyn and he has had phone calls from patients who have gone on vacation, and gone into labor in their destination city. Didn't happen often, but it did happen.

We were not on vacation, but our first made his appearance 6 weeks early, all was well; I'm really glad we were at home when that happened.

So have that vacation, but do think about having it earlier rather than later.

And congratulations.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:05 AM

If you're thinking locally, or close by anyway, consider Montreal for the Jazz Festival, around July 1.
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Montreal..ummm that could actually be a lot of fun. Maybe stop somewhere in Maine and stay in a B&amp;B....food for thought!
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 11:19 AM

Most women will tell you that as the pregnancy progresses they become less and less tolerant of warm/hot weather and need to visit the rest room more and more frequently. And, ankles, etc., tend to swell with too much walking. Since this is you wife's first time, everything will be a surprise.

Even Montreal gets very hot in the summer.

The Coast of Maine is nice for the ocean breezes. Or, how about Nova Scotia?

If it were me, I'd want a scenic destination where you could mostly just relax (and maybe shop for the baby).

I cannot imagine a long plane ride while pregnant, and wouldn't do it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -