help choose between these two apartment hotels in Granada

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are a family of four, going to Spain this August.

I have a choice of accomodations in Granada:
Apartementos Muralla Ziri (Executive, 1 bedroom), or
Suites Gran Via 44 (Superior Suite).

This will be for 3 nights. Both have a kitchen of sorts, and my teenage daughters will end up sleeping on the sofa beds. Both have AC, both apartments are located in the Albayzin area. Both will end up around the same price.
One major advantage of the Muralla Ziri Aptmt. will be a balcony with Alhambra view. Should that alone be the tipping point.

Both seem to be well reviewed.
Please help me decide!
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 01:52 PM

Both places look good to me. You may find two schools of thought on location. Many people prefer to be in the Albycin or up near the Alhambra. I fall in the other camp in that I like to be down the hill for easy access to restaurants, shops, people etc. Up the hill or down the hill? Either will work.

Gran Via 44 doesn't appear to be right in the Albaicin - maybe in an area called Realejo, not sure. Personally, I would opt for that location but the other doesn't appear to be far up the hill into the Albaicin so may not involve too much climbing. Bottom line : I bet you will be happy either place.
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Original Poster

According to the websites, the Muralla Ziri is "in the heart of the Albaizin, next to the Plaza Nueva."
The Suites Gran Via is located 100 meters from the Granada Cathedral and the Capilla Real. According to the website, the Superior Suites are 45 meters square.
I hope someone knows the area and can advise me. Which location would be more central, which is quieter, which is more convenient for tapas/restaurants/markets?
Old Jul 16th, 2010, 10:10 PM

For markets, the Gran Via place would be better as the main outdoor fruit/veg market is on plaza de la Pescaderia, which is right by the cathedral. Plenty of bars, shops, cafes and restaurants in that area too. However, Gran Via is a major thoroughfare in Granada so it gets lots of traffic - that might be a factor with regard to noise. It's not in the Albaicin, incidentally, but at the foot of it.

The other one, being in the Albaicin, will, by definition, be slightly harder to get to and probably won't have as many bars, shops etc right on the doorstep. Having said that, it's not too far up into the Albaicin and is right near the calle Caldereria Nueva, which is packed full of Moorish style tea houses and shops and is plenty of fun. I imagine the location would be a bit quieter - certainly there'd be less traffic (though you still get mopeds zooming around the narrow streets of the Albaicin at all hours of the day and night!)

I think another deciding factor would have to be whether or not you mind having to walk up a hill to get to your accommodation!
Old Jul 17th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Hanl,

So excuse my ignorance, but the location in the Albaicin would be the one that involves a bit of a climb? Not that it would be a deal killer, but considering the heat in August, and two grumpy teenagers, might get to be tiresome.

If anyone has stayed at the Suites Gran Via, can you comment about the noise factor?
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM

Yes, the Muralla Ziri apartments in the Albaicin will involve a bit more of an uphill climb.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 02:00 AM

We are a family of four with two younger children that visited Granada over a year ago. Our kids were 6 and 7 at the time We stayed 10 minutes out of town within the bus route but I remember thinking if we ever returned to Granada I would stay somewhere near the Cathedral. The Cathedral area seemed to be where the action was and we are NOT night people with youngkids. Around the Cathedral there were cafes, icecream shops, stores etc. The Albaicin was a little too quiet for me even in the daytime. I remember there were those small shuttle busses that took people up to the Alhambra so that could be a way to escape the heat. Or, why not buy tickets for an evening tour and see the Alhambra lit up at night as a way to escape the heat?
Enjoy!