Reload this Page >

Help ! Chateaux in Loire Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 06:18 AM
Rahul

My wife and I are planning a vacation to France at the end of 2000. We would like to know some good chateaux to stay in Loire valley ? We are planning for a 2 night stay. <BR> <BR>Any recommendations ???

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 09:08 AM
DT

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 09:27 AM
amg

Rahul, <BR> <BR>I have no direct experiance with staying at a Chateaux in this area but I can give you some web sites <BR> <BR>http://www.relaischateaux.fr/default.html <BR>http://www.frenchconnections.co.uk/index.html <BR>http://www.hotelswitch.com/ <BR> <BR>We did stay in Chenonceaux just outside the gates of the chateaux at a very nice hotel which had a nice reasturant -Hotel Du Bon Laboureur. Tel 02-47-23-90-02 <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>Aileen <BR>

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Lesli

There is a great book available from the Loire tourist board called "Bienvenue au Chateau" which lists tons of lovely chateaux accomodations. I will be going to the Loire in early October, and had a very difficult time deciding! We opted to stay in an historic inn in Angers, the Hotel du Mail,(http://www.destination-anjou.com/mail/index.htm) and a country manor house in Amboise called Le Fleuray (http://www.karenbrown.com/franceinns/lefleuray.html)

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 04:39 PM
topper

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 05:01 PM
steve

30 yrs ago I stayed at the Chateau du Gue Pean near Montrichard. I'm sure i found out about it from Fodor's. You might check to see if it still takes guests and if it is open at that time of year

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 05:07 PM
pat

Whether or not you find a Chataeau to spend the night - definetley avail yourself of the "light shows" at night. We spent the night near Chateau De Chenonceau and walked to the grounds. We also spent the night right on the premises of Chambord- and had a first hand experience with their show "Metamorphosis" - these are definetly worth the effort to experience.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 07:36 PM
Rahul

Thank you everyone who has given their valuable inputs till now. I would appreciate if anyone has stayed in the Loire Valley area around Christmas/New Years time and can let me know of their experience. Would these wonderful and great Chateaux be open on Christmas day ??

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 01:02 AM
TJ

Try Chateau de Chissay, near Chenonceau. Great experience.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 02:07 AM
sally

I have stayed recently at both Chateau de Pray and Chateau des Ormeaux. Both of these chateaux are just outside Amboise which is quite a good central base for exploring. They are both magnificent. De Pray is a full scale hotel and Ormeaux is a very upscale bed and breakfast with most delightful hosts. You can see both on the net.

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 04:34 AM
kavita

Hi Rahul <BR> <BR>I believe most people visit the Loire in summer and it may not be at its best in winter. <BR> <BR>We went at the beginning of Sept and already some restaurants were closed as there werent enough visitors for them to stay open. <BR> <BR>It may be worth checking before you book hotels that all the sights you want to see are open. <BR> <BR>The main chateaux will be but smaller attractions such as the mushroom caves, the troglodyte villages and the chateaux gardens may all be closed. <BR> <BR>I posted a Loire diary on this forum when I got back from my trip in Sept lsat year, you may be able to find it using the Search feature for Kavey's Loire Diary. <BR> <BR>Hope you have a fabulous trip. <BR> <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 07:47 PM
Rahul

Thanks Kavita. I went through your notes and enjoyed them.

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 06:53 AM
Byrd

We enjoyed staying at Chateau de Rochecotte in Langlais.We were there in October 98.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 01:07 PM

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 05:10 PM
jeff

Hi Rahul, <BR> I highly recommend the Chateau de Rochecotte in Saint Patrice near Langeais. It is a nice central location for sightseeing and the place is very peaceful and beautiful. My room was enormous and nicely decorated. I think you and your wife would love it. <BR>

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 07:05 PM
tp

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 03:38 PM
Laura

My husband and I were in the Loire Valley in June. We stayed at Maestre, at Fontevraud L'Abbaye. It was wonderful. Breakfast is included and you can have dinner for an additional cost. You should dine there at least once. It is well worth the money. The host, Monsieur Dauge does not speak English, but we managed. The direct number is 02.41.51.75.87. You make get a room cheaper calling directly rather than booking through Chez Vous, the Sausalito Travel Agency where we booked our stay. <BR>Try the chezvous.com website. We booked a Paris apt. and the chateau thru them. They require payment in advance and do not accept credit cards. They came highly recommended to us and we were not disappointed. <BR>bon voyage.

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 08:14 PM
Rozzy McCoy

My husband and I have just returned from a 12 day trip to France. In the Loire Valley we stayed at the Chateau de Noizay and loved it! It is close to Vouvray and Amboise (the second night we drove to Amboise to dinner--close). It has as wonderful restaurant at the hotel (excellent food and wine) and the rooms are lovely, large, and the view is beautiful. The staff is very helpful. If you have to have a shower (not just a bath), there are a few rooms with one. However, the bathrooms are quite nice and modernized. I highly recommend. It's a lovely place to stay.

Old Oct 1st, 2000, 06:46 AM
Daniel

Just returned and stayed at the Chateau de Chissay. The Chateau itself is magnificent, but I must say the rooms didn't match the price paid. Yes, ours was huge, and we had an enormous bath in an actual turret complete with giant mosaic tub, but the bed, carpet, etc. were a little worse for the wear. The common areas of the Chateau were much nicer, however, and the location was perfect, minutes from Chenonceaux. The restaurant was also very nice.