Help: Bonnieux, Gordes or St Remy as a home base

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,<BR><BR>I am trying to decide on a home base location for a 6 day stay in Provence in May. My husband and I have not visited Provence before, so we want to visit the Luberon area, Avignon and Arles, but we can't decide if we want to make Bonnieux or Gordes our home base, or if St Remy would be a better spot. We will have a car.<BR><BR>Any advice would be appreciated...
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Bonnieux is a very small village, Gordes would be next in size, and St. Remy the largest, therefore more going on there. I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them. St. Remy might be more central, for going to Arles or Nimes, Pont du Gard ,but nothing is that far away. We stayed near Gordes for our base, and each day we went in different directions to explore. You'll have a wonderful time!
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Peesh:<BR><BR>Grandmere's advice is right on. The only suggestion that I would have is that if you have 5 days focus either North or South of the Durance river. The driving distance are not great, but the time to do so might be. Besides, there is so much to see save your funds and go back again...and again.<BR><BR>If you want more information,diaries, links and photos of Provence visit:<BR><BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Gino

Peesh,<BR>A great place we stayed at last year was very near Menerbes.<BR>http://www.avignon-et-provence.com/bb/mas-du-magnolia/gb/index.html<BR>Great central location for all the Luberon.<BR>Very special host &amp; hostess. Check out the website--I think you will like it.

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 10:36 AM

This year we are returning to the Bastide de Capelongue in Bonnieux, which is a terrific hotel.
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:24 PM

Peesh, we have visited Provence several times, usually stay at Saignon, a few minutes from Apt. You might like to consider Isle sur la Sorgue as a good location. It is fairly well in the middle of the places you wish to visit, has a wonderful Sunday market, antiques and produce etc. The River Sorgue runs through the middle of town, with lots of nice cafes overlooking it. Second choice would probably be St. Remy, I agree with others that Bonnieux and Gordes although beautiful, are fairly small villages. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 04:32 AM

We loved Gordes. Stayed at Les Romarins a small hotel I found probably in Charming Small Hotels. It is across the hill from Gordes so you can eat breakfast in their garden area and stare onto the beautiful little town across the way. One day the hills were shrouded in mists and the town appeared to be floating. Mystical. Gordes has a fun little market, unfortunately cannot remember which day. We traveled from there all around Provence and enjoyed the countryside.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 07:46 AM

For market days in the Vaucluse see:<BR><BR>http://provence-des-papes.com/magazine/marchesa.htm<BR>
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 08:10 AM

We stayed in Gordes at La Bastide de Gordes and loved the village and the hotel. We thought it provided fairly easy access to the Luberon. The market last year was Tuesday morning.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 03:09 PM

Hi,<BR><BR>I just got my flight to Paris for Sep, traveling to Provence. I am roaming Provence for 11 days and have decided to stay in St Remy. It looks central to everything. Check out this very nice B&amp;B.. very inexpensive, simple and clean, (how much time does one spend in their room anyway). Have corresponded with some one who has stayed there, says it's great and the owners are warm and friendly. Good luck!<BR>http://www.sources-saint-remy.com/