Help a novice going to Itay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apologies in advance for being a rube. My dear husband gave us a trip to Italy for our 10 year wedding anniversary. We are going to Venice, Como, Alba. We have 11 days to work with. We arrive March 30th Anniversary is April 1st. Any advice on what to pack/wear. I have no idea of the weather at that time. (Coming from Colorado I tend to think it is still winter.) I do not want to look like the ugly american in jeans and tennis shoes. We are very active so plan on doing as many outdoors things as the areas allow.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:33 PM

Everyone in Europe wears jeans, so don't worry about it. White tennis shoes are a bit passe' but black or brown tenni's seem to look OK. Or just get (and break in ahead of time) a good pair of walking shoes.

As for the weather, you'll find it generally moderate, not a whole lot different from Colorado, actually. The days should have highs in the 60s and there will be some rain, so take a light raincoat and a compact folding umbrella. Good luck.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM

for historical weather information, and also for probabilities for the future, go to www.wunderground.com

Accuweather.com will give you up to 15 days of forecast as you get closer to your trip.

If you don't want to go the jeans and sneakers route ( I don't) then just bring comfortable light wool or cotton pants in dark colors, a sweater ot two for layering, comfortable walking shoes, and a rain coat or jacket that you can layer under.
The sweaters (or blazers) add warmth, and with just adding a necklace or silk scarf around your neck, you're dressed for all but the dressiest places.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Wayne! For evenings do people dress up? I doubt we will go anyplace really fancy. Hope that black slacks or the basic little black dress will be OK. Does my husband need to bring a tie? We are trying to keep the luggage to a min. We do plan to hike, maybe rent bikes if possible. And of course drink some great wines!

Again sorry for the most basic of questions.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM

I was in Florence for 10 days last March -- be prepared for 30 to 45 degree whether even up to 60 degrees but pack for warmth AND wetness! I had to buy a warmer coat once I got there as well as umbrella. Don't get me wrong, it might be warmer but if you pack for both you'll be safe. DON'T pack a lot of shoes and the cobble stone streets aren't very nice to pumps. Pack a good pair of hiking boots or walking shoes for day and depending upon what you are doing at night pack a pair of nice black hills or whatever you prefer and pack so that you can wear that pair which any outfit. I took 8 pairs of shoes and wore two. Rolling luggage sucks too. The streets aren't level so either take a duffel or back pack or get a taxi. We walked everywhere so my new luggage was ruined when I got home. email me anytime I loved italy and could talk all day. Jennifer: [email protected]
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks elaine and jenaflix we must have been typing at the same time.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM

one more thing: if you sit at a restaurant or even bar you have to pay more. Don't do what we did and get a drink at the bar and then sit down to drink it.. they got pretty upset with us and said a few dirty words in Italian. So, if you plan to sit... sit first. Black is always good and if your husband is stylish and can be dressy "metro" without a tie then don't take it but it wouldn't hurt to take a coat just to make sure you meet any dress-code that nicer restaurants might have. If you go to Florence ask for the "White Bore".. best restaurant there! of course that's the english for it but it's easily translated something... Bianca. Have fun.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:49 PM

it's the Cinghale Bianco, the White Boar
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:50 PM

oops, typo, sorry, Cinghiale Bianco
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 01:53 PM

yeah, decent lawyer not a decent speller...
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

I am a piss poor speller myself!

Confused about just getting a glass of wine? Do you have to stand? Do they mind if you sit and have just wine?

Right now Florence is not in the plan but who knows? We are not great "planners"
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:51 PM
ira

Hi Cos,

Welcome to the board.

>..black slacks or the basic little black dress will be OK. Does my husband need to bring a tie?<

Yes, No. I suggest a sports jacket. He can always wear it if it's chilly.

>Do you have to stand? Do they mind if you sit and have just wine?<

If you stand at the bar, it costs less than if you sit at an inside table, which is less than sitting at an outside table.

What's in Alba, other than the Duchess?

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Ira: "I am shocked, shocked!" Alba is, more or less, the centre of the truffle region of Piedmont. And truffles are harvested throughout the year.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Alba? Going for the wonderful wines.