Help: 10 Days in Northern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are about to go on our first trip to Italy (for a full 10 days in Sept 2009). We would like some help in designing our trip.
We are arriving and departing from Florence. We would like to visit Florence, Venice, Tuscany (by car), Pisa and Milan.
Any help for duration of stay in each city, transportation, hotel, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 04:17 PM

My suggestion would be 3 days in Venice, 3 days in Florence, and 4 days exploring Tuscany. Pisa is doable in 1/2 a day really. If you skip Milan (we hated Milan), you can spend 2 days in the Cinque Terre which is not that far from Pisa...Lucca is also a great city to visit. not far from Pisa. In fact, if you haven't booked flights yet, why not fly into Venice, spend a few days, then pick up a car and head south, touring Florence and Tuscany and then fly out of florence?
Old Dec 29th, 2008, 04:41 PM

Frankymtl-

The train system in Italy is fabulous. You could use that to travel to Venice (about 2-1/2 hour ride).

I think your time in each city is dependent upon what you like. If you are into art and history, then 3 days in Florence is great, and 4 days in Venice (you will not want to leave either city!)

If you want to see "the sights", then 3 days in Tuscany and skip Milan and Pisa. It might be better to get a car for touring Tuscany, but you will not need a car in Florence nor Venice(for obvious reasons) .

I don't know your budget, and this gentleman was booked when we tried to get him, but I hear he is the best guide you can get for a Tuscan tour. His name is Luca Garrapa.

www.hillsandroads.com

My suggestions for Tuscany are Montalcino, Montepulciano and Pienza.

For hotel in Florence, we HIGHLY recommend the Hotel Casci. This is a lovely family-owned-and-operated, very reasonably-priced (free internet, continental breakfast) hotel that is right in the heart of Florence. Five minute walk from the Duomo. We won't stay anywhere else!

http://www.hotelcasciflorence.com/en/location.htm

In Venice, we loved the Corte 1321 B&B. Owned by American mother/daughter and our favorite hotel on our Italy trip last year. They have rooms available with bathtub, so ask for that if you need tub vs. shower.

http://www.corte1321.com/en/sent_request.htm

You'll have a lovely time. And you'll want to come back! (You know, Rome is just over an hour on the express train from Florence!)

Buon viaggio!
Paula

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 05:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With 10 days (11 nights?) and arrival/departure at the same airport, I'd limit your hotels to three. You'll lose a half day or more every time you change hotels. What time of day is your departing flight? Will you have to return to Florence the night prior? (I'd agree with Casanic's suggestion of flying into Venice and out of Florence, if possible.)

You can visit Pisa as a day trip from Florence, but you may find you don't want to shorten your time in Florence. I like Milan a lot, but I'd leave it for another trip. I wouldn't add the Cinque Terre to an already compressed itinerary.

How you divide the days is entirely personal preference, and you may not know which city/place you prefer until you've visited. (I'm one who prefers Florence over Venice.) You should study some guide books to get an idea of which places appeal to you more.

Old Dec 29th, 2008, 05:51 PM

I agree---a max of 3 hotel destinations--and I would fly into Venice and home from Florence or Pisa or vice versa. I see a 4-2-4 mix.