Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Newbies to Italy - Venice to Pisa - 4 nights but where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave Venice and have 4 nights until we must return to Pisa to catch an early morning flight home....but where oh where would you spend the 4 nights we have between Venice and PIsa? Being from USA with our awful $ we have to think of price as well as how to be sure we get some feeling of Tuscany area without having to run and move daily. All ideas welcome. We need to make the most of this (we start in Pisa and take a train to Genoa; cruise Amalfi coast for 7 nights; then from Genoa a group of us go to Venice for 4 nights....all our first trip to Italy!). Thanks much!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM

How big is the group?
What time of year?
Do you object to driving?
Have you seen Tuscany before?
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM

I will presume "newbies in italy" indicates first timers Bob.

It seems like you want Tuscany. Do you want to spend some or all of those days in another large urban centre? If so, Florence is the obvious choice. After 7 days cruising and 4 days in Venice it certainly won't be "culture overkill" to spend 4 days in Florence and you can certainly do a day trip or two to the Tuscan (north) countryside; San Gimignano, Volterra, Grieve in Chianti, etc., or even Siena.

If you don't want a big city, choose one the towns listed, or others based on what others say or you find by searching and asking. I always drive Tuscany and it doesn't appear you will be doing that so those who have trained will have more to offer with respect to where one can best situate themselves to maintain good connections.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

It will just be husband and wife (2) by this part of trip; we don't want to rent a car. This will be early October. 4 days in Florence - is it enough? I know never enough....how good are buses/public transport to Pisa from Florence (and Venice to Florence) and how much time should we allow? Thanks much. PS Any ideas for where to stay in Florence?
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM

4 days in anywhere major in Italy won't be enough. Assuming an afternoon flight out of Pisa, 2 and 2 in Venice and Florence will give you enough of a taste of each to know how you'll do it properly next time. Last time out, Mrs. K and I spent 8 days in Florence without feeling at loose ends. However, I'm a Firenzephile so there's no accounting for tastes. You may feel the same way about Venice. In any case, 4 days isn't near enough to get a good feel for any place.

HTH
K
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 02:30 PM
ira

Hi N,

If you have an early morning flight, I suggest that you should spend the night before in Pisa.

For the other nights, I would go to Florence.

Old Jun 24th, 2009, 02:58 PM

There are easy bus and train connections from Florence to Pisa airport.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Lucca would be my choice. It is a lovely walled
city with a park on the ramparts perfect for biking and strolling with your gelato. Also, it would be a good base to make some daytrips and
then you could be at the Pisa airport in 45 minutes by train when ready to fly home. We liked Lucca enough to be returning in September.
Enjoy your trip!!!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help and I need to be more specific so you can help better. We fly into Pisa and take train to Genoa - the next evening we take one week cruise on Amalfi coast (small boat) with friends from around the world). When we arrive back in Genoa the large group of us have private bus to Venice. We are spending 4 nights in Venice. Then we have 4 more nights somewhere - thinking Florence. We go back to Pisa that last evening - to sleep in Pisa and catch our early morning flight out of Pisa. I know we won't have enough time (or money) but this is a start to "taste" Italy. Now can anyone help me on what to do with the 4 days after Venice? Again many thanks!
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 12:52 PM

see my trip log on Tuscany walking tour
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 12:54 PM

You have 3 votes for Florence and 1 for Lucca.

You haven't said whether you want another large city, or a smaller experience. If you want a city then, then Florence is the clear choice. You can day trip from there by train or bus to some of the places I listed, or choose to stay in one or 2 of them for your 4 days. You can get to Pisa the day before you leave comfortable from a lot of different places in Tuscany.
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM

I vote for Florence.
Go see Michelangelo's David. It is incredible..
Old Jun 27th, 2009, 05:31 PM

If you will stay in Lucca or Florence, there's no reason to relocate to Pisa for your last night unless your flight is very early. If you actually want to visit Pisa, going back for the last night isn't a bad idea.