Hello from Split, Croatia!

Old Sep 6th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from Split, Croatia!

Just kicking back and relaxing here at an internet cafe in lovely Split and thought Id say hello and see if anyone has any questions I can try to answer while Im here - so far we have been to Dubrovnik (Cavtat, Lokrum, Mostar day trips) and to montenegro (Kotor, Budva, Herceg Novi, Stari Bar). We LOVE Split - I know some here prefer Trogir but we find Split a lively, attractive and fun city with lots to do. We visited Krka National Park today by excursion. We also scored wicked accomodation at a great price - go for the private accomodation budget travellers! give the hostels a firm pass. Private rooms are cheaper and so far way better.

Any how we need to drop by the computer again tomorrow to settle some bookings so if you have any questions let me know and I will do my best.

Cheers,
Naxos
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:03 AM

"We LOVE Split - I know some here prefer Trogir but we find Split a lively, attractive and fun city with lots to do..."

agree , Split is a great place! Wish I were sitting on Riva... right now.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Hi Naxos!

Glad you are enjoying your time in the area. Did you do a daytrip to Mostar from Dubrovnik? If so, did you go via one of those whole-day guided tours? If not, how long do you think is reasonable to see the city (not including travel time)?

We will be in the area next summer and am rethinking of going to Mostar when we are in Makarska rather than from Dubrovnik.I am glad that you like Split as we will be in that city for a couple of days.

Thanks.
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM

Keep Split warm for me, I'll be there in early October. I'm still working out the itinerary between Zagreb, Dubrovnik, Mostar, Korcula, and Split, though.

How did you find your soba in Split? Whereabouts is it?
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 04:42 AM

we liked split too
not loved but very fond of it- we loved dubrovnik
but split is definitely worth a visit

loved the harbourside at night
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Glad to hear others like Split as much as we do - I know many prefer Trogir but what we like about the city is that it feels lively - not just a museum piece for tourists. There are many locals going about their business...that and the old town, Diocletian palace is just fantastic. Great shopping, lots in the area to do - my favorite stop so far. Oh and the Blue Flag beach here is lovely with crystal clear water.

Our Guesthouse is fantastic - its called Bulovic Guesthouse and is located 2 minutes from old town, close to everything and we are only paying 36E per night. It has air con, tv and a shared bathroom but only with one other room. We wish we could carry the accomodation with us tomorrow.

JoyC - we did a tour to Mostar through AMICO tours which was recommended in my guidebook. I had also heard of our tour guide on various forums "Anton" - he was excellent. I cant vouch for how good the other guides would be of course, but their tours run with a max of 8 people - ours only had 3 others. We stopped in Poltije (sp?) which was great - if you go that route try the fruit from the various people selling it - organic from the area and wonderful. We initially were going to spend the night in Mostar but decided to just day trip. I can live with the decision. It was a good day trip, I enjoyed the drive and felt I had enough free time to take in old town and get the general jist of the place. If we had our own car we would have wanted to see Banja Luka etc, but time on vacation is a precious thing. Anton was a wealth of information and was extremely likeable - we would go out of our way to have him as the guide. He openly shared about the war and the history of the area, which was very enriching. We emailed Amico online and reserved a spot (no deposit was necessary) and then we called them from Dubrovnik to confirm everything was a go.

Oh Andrew, it has been unbearably hot in Croatia for the past 10 days. We are finally getting some releif here in Split which was a pleasant 25 degrees today thereabouts. We will hope for warm but not intolerable weather for you as Dubrovnik and Montenegro were almost difficult to enjoy while sweating profusely through every possible article of clothing.

On the downside, we were in Trogir today and shyly had to admit to each other we were....(gulp)...bored?? Ahhh! sorry, I know its so ungrateful, but we have seen many walled towns on this trip and on others so....we are taking it all for granted. I am concerned about this as we have a LOT of cutsie towns left...we are off to Hvar, then Zadar, then Istria for a week before treking to Slovenia and Czech Repbulic. we have already altered our plans so we can go to Salzburg for a few days. I think we will try to shake things us with some adventure tours - maybe some rafting or something just to keep us on our toes so to speak.

We are off to Hvar tomorrow morning. It seems like we may have found some accomodation that is half decent for 35E per night but...we shall see. Let me know if you have other questions - I will check back.

Cheers,
Naxos
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 06:15 AM

hi, planning to be in Croatia for 8 days in Sept 25th starting in Dubrovnik and driving north, may end up in Spilt. Did you book your rooms in advance or did you swing it? I would love to spend less than 50 euros a night even if I have to share a bathroom with one other room. can I book my rooms at a town center or similar when I get to the towns? thanks.
Old Oct 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM

Looking for a driver and guide for 1 day tour from Split. Coming into Split on a cruise. Can you recommend anyone? This is for next Sept. 2010
Thank you
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
rcw

Hello Naxos

How was Hvar and the rest of your time in Croatia? V interested to hear how the accommodation was and whether you have any recommendations for where you stayed.
Thanks
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM

How's the food there? Typical breakfast? Dinner?
Interested to hear more!
Old Nov 1st, 2009, 02:32 AM

I liked Split, loved Trogir and Dubrovnik, but my favourite was Brac. Really beautiful and laid back. I visited Hvar too and quite liked it but found it too touristy. However other parts of Hvar island were more to my liking.

Enjoy Croatia and enjoy the grilled fish. The Pizza and Gelato aren't bad either.
Old Nov 10th, 2009, 09:44 AM

planning our trip for next fall: based in Dubrovnik, want to visit Mostar, Kotor, Cetinje. I can't quite figure out travel times - how many of these can be done as daytrips vs. overnight or longer? Can anyone advise me how long we might like in each place (we are relatively leisurely travelers - no need to rush, but if places really are close, it can be more relaxing to do a daytrip and not have to move luggage continuously). Planning to use public transport or excursions (not renting a car). Thanks!