Hello from Dubrovnik!

Search

Hello from Dubrovnik!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from Dubrovnik!

Just wanted to say a quick "hi" to everyone. My husband and I are sitting here at an internet cafe in Dubrovnik. We just got done eating pizza at Mea Culpa, and are meeting new friends that we met by accident yesterday when we both were scheduled for an Atlas trip to Montenegro that was cancelled without notice. It ended up working out for the best because we hired a private guide who took us high above Dubrovnik and into the fort, as well as a wonderful day spent in Bosnia and Montenegro. I thought Croatia was beautiful, but Montenegro was beyond amazing, particularly Kotor, with its beautiful fjord and interesting old walled town. Tomorrow we pick up our car and head to Split, where we will tour Diocletians palace before retiring to Trogir and extending our journey north to Slovenia.

I will post a full trip report when I return, but just wanted to say what a wonderful time we are having and a huge thank you to everyone who has ever posted about this fantastic area!

Tracy
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:35 AM

tracey,

Hello!

I am so glad you are having a great time. Isn't the pizza at Mea Culpa the best!!!!

just have a great time and fill us in when you return
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Hello back, Tracy!

I'm looking forward to reading all about your trip when you return. I'm very interested to learn all about Croatia. Be sure to keep having a wonderful time and take lots of photos!
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:26 AM

Tracy -- I'm so glad you posted. Isn't Dubrovnik heavenly. How's the weather? and how's the apt?
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Hi Tracy...

Can't wait to hear about your time in Croatia...thanks for "checking in" while on the road.

Old Nov 8th, 2006, 08:27 PM

Hi! ah.. fond memories of the friendly people at the internet cafe.. i'm glad you are enjoying Dubrovnik.. it makes me SO want to go back.. yummy pizza at Mea Culpa. Make sure (if you are a pizza lover) to have one at the Top Balloon in Trogir. MMMM so good. Im wondering how the weather is also.. ENJOY! Looking forward to your trip report!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM

Hi Tracy!

I thought about you today, and was wondering how you were enjoying Dubrovnik! I even went to accuweather to see what the temps were doing - didn't look too bad to me, we had a couple of inches of snow here today....

I am really looking forward to your report - I agree on Montenegro - simply stunning!!!!
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Syl

Looking forward to your feedback on Slovenia. Still can't figure out why the tourists aren't making that gem of a country a priority.
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind replies, and I apologise for not responding quicker. I just returned home last night, and am still quite jetlagged! I have never been one to get online while on vacation, but my husband and I needed to make our hotel reservations for our final night in Croatia and since I had a few minutes to spare I wanted to say a quick "hi" to fodors!

I will do an extended trip report shortly, but to sum it up we had a fantastic time. Wow...what a beautiful country and what wonderful people! We absolutely adored Croatia and Montenegro, and Slovenia as well. I will never forget the sight of Dubrovnik as our (crazy) cab driver popped over the little hill and around the curve on our way to our apartment...simply stunning! We travel to Europe about twice a year, and this has been one of our favorite vacations to date. We already have a tentative itinerary set for when we go back!

Take care,
Tracy
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Tracy:

I know you are unpacking from your trip, unpacking from your move and probably just crazed to time to get everything done.

That said, H*U*R*R*Y U*P with the trip report!

Did you like "our apartment"???
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 01:52 PM

Tracy: I am so glad you loved Croatia. It is a true gem. Sounds like everyone who went this fall is planning a return trip. I am really looking forward to your report so I can be transported back there.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

I'm getting ready to start my trip report right now, although I don't have much time because I'm meeting our real estate agent to try to find a house (I'm tired of this corporate apartment, even if it is free!). Still, I'm anxious to get started before I start forgetting some of the juicy details!

HappyCheeseHead, unfortunately we couldn't stay at our apartment! Long story short my husband twisted his ankle about 2 weeks before our trip. He was fine by the time we left, but nervous about all of the steps to the apartment so we decided it would probably be better to switch it. We ended up staying at Villa Adriatica, right outside of the Ploce gate, and were very pleased. I was dissapointed about having to cancel though, as the apartment looked and sounded lovely!

Barb, I had a drink at Buza for you! Wow....what an incredible experience. We were down there about half an hour before sunset and watching the sun dip into the Adriatic was a sight I will never forget. Oh to be back there right now....

Tracy
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Well I don't blame you one bit for wanting to avoid all those stairs! Glad DH was better by trip time - I cannot imagine all the walking on vacation on a bum ankle.

Ok, I will wait patiently for the TR - have fun househunting!
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 09:30 AM
lyb

okay, dubrovnik visitors...stop torturing me! Just when I've decided to stick with my original plan of Austria and Prague...someone else flaunts Dubrovnik! Stop! Stop! -
Old Nov 16th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Tracy - thanks for the drink at Buza!
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 06:13 PM

DOes anyone have info re; Driving from BUdapest to Dubrovnik? Sept. 07, we are going to BUdapest and then planning driving to Dubrovnik. Safety? Time?
Old Nov 28th, 2006, 06:19 PM

Tracy, it is very sweet of you to post and share while away. This website is incredible with the info everyone provides! An "extended friendship" of others to help make one's trip spectacular!

8-)
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

JeaninGeorgia,

We didn't drive from Budapest, but we did go across the Hungary border that is north of Zagreb while on on our trip and it was quite easy. We wanted to visit Verazdin, a very intersting town with baroque buildings in northern Croatia, and realized that Hungary wasn't too far away so we decided to cross the border and get another stamp (tacky, I know!). The border was simple and easy with no lines, and the roads on both sides of the border were very good and well-marked. I don't think that driving from Budapest will be a problem.

cwojo99, this board is so great because I don't know if we would have even considered Croatia before coming on these boards regularly, and I so appreciate Fodors for that! I get such great advice on here!

Tracy