Hello from Dubrovnik!!! I made it

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a very rough start, which I will tell you all about when I get home, I am here in gorgeous Dubrovnik. It is warm and humid, but rainy so far. Mr Nerio picked me up at the airport and drove me to the apt. in Old Town, which is very unique, again I will tell all about that in more detail later. Location is just the best, on Gundulèeva Square. There is an open air market there every morning, so I was awakened by the sounds of the market being set up, ahhhhhh. Met Fodorite Jeff for drink at Buza Bar last night and dinner at the Old Harbor, heavenly calamari. He was off to Montenegro today, I am doing the tour tomorrow. I really needed today to relax a little, decompress, do some laundry, buy a phone card and basically get my bearings. Lots of tourists during the day, but it gets much quieter in the late aft. and evening. Buza was magic last night watching the storm move in. So, now that I have found this nice Internet Cafe, I will try to report back in periodically. So for now, Ciao,
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Hello Barb

You sound like you are having a great time, look forward to reading your trip report when you return home, enjoy the rest of your trip, stay safe and happy.

Lucie
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:56 AM

Glad you made it! Hope the sun comes out for you. Dubrovnik is beautiful rain or shine, though!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:19 AM

Great to hear from you Barb! Your comment on Dubrovnik being "warm and humid" gives me a little hope that maybe it won't be so cold when we arrive in a month!

I hope you have a fabulous time, and I can't wait to read more about your trip!

Tracy
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM

Barb,

so called you made it. Do you remember my post on how we got all screwed up onthe way in for our vacation that started in slovenia first?

I can sympathize!!!

Anyway, isn't Buza the best and so glad your apt is all you dreamed about, the square indeed is a great location.

Oh, have the best time, just enjoy and enjoy!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:06 AM

I meant so GLAD you made it, not called!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 08:44 AM

Barb - I can picture it all like it was just 4 weeks ago and wish I were there with you! Have a ball and let us know how it is going if you get a chance. Can't wait to hear the details, even the rough stuff.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Syl

It was only last week that we were taking in the fabulous scenery at the Buza Bar with wine in hand.That moment in time- clear blue sky,calm waters,warm sun on our bodies & mood music - the memory permanently planted in my brain to be retrieved when stress sets in.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi all!!

Well I made it back safe and sound. Had a wonderful trip. The highlight was definitely Croatia and Dubrovnik in particular. It completely surpassed all expectations. As others have said, it's jaw-dropping gorgeous. I just ran out of adjectives to describe it. My apt. could not have been in a better location. The apt. itself was very basic and had a few quirks that might not be some people's cup of tea, but it was clean and so convenient, that I just overlooked the negatives. Paris was fun - Rome is still chaotic and crazy, but I love it. Only had two days of rain the whole time. Croatia and Rome were hot! So, my choice of clothes was not geared to such warm weather for sure. This is my first day back to work, so I'll try to post a brief trip report when I can, emphasis mostly on Croatia. I just have to say, solo travel is still my first choice! I met so many wonderful people along the way, I was never really alone.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 09:51 AM

Barb! Didn't you just love it! I knew you would....

Can't wait to hear all about the trip!

HC
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Ok, here goes - Little did I know when I arrived at the little airport in my home town enroute to Seattle, Amsterdam and finally Paris, that the day would turn out as crazy as it did. I even remarked to my friend as we left home, gee I'm so glad I have such good weather for my flight, HAH!! Within an hour of that comment the fog started rolling in. After announcing the flight to Seatac would be delayed possibly an hour, I was called to the Horizon desk. As the only "international" traveller that morning, she felt obliged to let me know that the flight was going to be cancelled and I would have to find an alternative method of transport to Seattle. "Can you drive, or have someone else drive you?". No!! "Well then, I might suggeste a taxi". A taxi - all the way to Seattle,( a two hour drive to airport). "How much would that be?? "$150.00". So after thinking about it for about 30 sec. I said call one. Long story short, I ended up sharing a taxi with three gentlemen, who were CEO's of some International Non-Profit Organ. and a crazy taxi driver, who just so happened to be the husband of the Horizon agent who suggested I take a cab. Hmmmm. But, Horizon picked up the tab and even supplied us with little bags of goodies to eat and drink on the way. Nice touch. Well the taxi driver was a hoot, retired cop, and a comedian, as was the CEO's. The whole ride was like a Seinfeld episode. I made it onto my flight to Amsterdam with 5 min. to spare, and a few more gray hairs.

NW Airlines is pretty darn good. More leg room than Delta and the inseat entertainment makes the 9+ hrs. flight bearable. Cute, young Dutchman seatmate didn't hurt. I didn't sleep though because I was a little worried that if I took my Ambien, that cutie pie would not be able to get past me if he needed to, or that I would drool, or do something else in my drug induced sleep that would be totally embarrassing. So, I arrived in Amsterdam somewhat in a daze. So, I'm waiting for Air France flight to Paris - oh no, it's been delayed 40 min., which turned into an hour. My new seatmate - very handsome Lebanese gentleman heading to Beirut via Paris overheard that the reason our flight was delayed was due to the fact that someone had just died on our plane right before landing in Amsterdam -holy cow - I just want to get to Paris!

Now normally I have no problem getting a taxi at CDG. For some odd reason, there was not one in sight - as I am dragging my suitcase(s), one of which would later be referred to as "Big Boy", a guy standing next to what looked liked a tour van, asked if I needed a ride. He said 60 euro flat fee. Again, I thought about it for about 30 sec. and said, yes. He was quite friendly, spoke pretty good English and I was just glad to be heading to Paris. At one point he asked me if I was a "bachelor". I smiled and said yes. Baaaaad move. He then proceeded to hit on me the whole way to Paris. He even suggested a great little place that he would like to take me to in Paris. It was called something Jungle - he said they even had naked women! OMG, my hand is now on door handle. He asked me if I liked wine .. he could bring me a nice bottle to my hotel that night and show me a really good time. I finally, in a firm, but not rude way, made it very clear to him that I was not about to go to any Jungle with him and that I was meeting friends in Paris, one a former CIA agent. The guy was not impressed, or obviously put off, because as he was walking me into the hotel with my bags, he was still making all kinds of suggestions. I think maybe the very stern look he got from the desk clerk finally got the message across. No tip for him.

LOVED my hotel!!! Hotel College du France. It was just what I wanted.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM

Welcome back Barb. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip--and your Montenegro tour. At least you picked a better day for it than I did.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Jeff!! Hi! Montenegro trip was very good, long day, but so worth it. It was so great to meet you and wasn't Marco Polo yummy. I was so tempted to go back there, but wanted to try new places. I'm already planning a return trip to Dubrovnik. Still dreaming about Buza Bar.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM

Welcome back Barb..and what a story, first the taxi (glad Horizon paid for it) and then the shuttle "Romeo" guy in Paris!! Looking forward to the next installment of your trip!!
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

As I said, I loved my hotel. The location was great, close to everything and the metro was a short walk away. The room was small, but had two large, almost floor to ceiling windows with little wrought iron balconies and a good size bathroom. The highlights of Paris were:

-- Meeting up with SeaUrchin, of course. Going to jazz club - Caveau de la Huchette!! on my first night in Paris. Watching in amazement as Seaurchin is being twirled around the dance floor by this "older" gentlemen with a white ponytail, who after dancing for what seemed an eternity was not even winded!! What a fun place. Word of warning, get there early for a seat otherwise you stand and it is HOT and smoky.

We had a great day together, walking the rue Moufftard, buying our wonderful bread bags -- what a find that was! The great musicians, singing and dancing who are there every Sunday afternoon. We walked to Isle St. Louis and strolled around doing a little shopping and then enjoying a glass, or two, lol, of wine, eating cheese that she bought on rue Moufftard. The very nice waiter provided us with bread, olives and a knife with a smile and no charge. We sat, relaxed, chatted and just people-watched. What a great spot - can't remember the name but it's right at the foot of the bridge over to the Isle d'Cite. What a lovely way to spend a day.

That evening, we went to our Jim Haynes soiree and met fellow Fodorites, Amy and Melissa. Jim is an amazing host. He remembered all our names and did his best to introduce us all to each other. Some very interesting people there. A real mix of languages. Food was good and even the boxed wine was not bad, although I think it was just the ambiance that made it a really special evening.

-- L'Orangerie was wonderful. The wrap around Monet rooms - what can I say. Loved the Modiglianis, so intense and vibrant. I bought a book with his paintings, like I really needed to haul that around for the next two weeks.

-- Walking tour with Paris Walks of the Marais. Even though I had been there before, it was nice to learn the history and the importance it played in the early days of Paris.

-- Lunch at Le Caveau de L'Isle, 36 rue de L'Isle St. Louis. The pre-fix menu was 19.95. I had fois gras with toast points and fig jam, OMG!! I savored every single bite. The plat was grilled lamb chops w/potato Dauphenois. The potatoes were incredibly good - a perfect round, crispy on top and then creme broulee for dessert. With wine, 31.75. I highly recommend it.

-- My fav little place, Les Fetes Galantes, which never disappoints, 17, rue de l'Ecole Polytechnique. Pre-fix, Escargot, Canard w/honey and potatoes, which were flat little rounds crispy and delicious and profiteral for dessert. Can't remember the price,but I'm pretty sure it was under 30 E.

-- Leon de Bruxelles for moules and frites which was surprisingly good and the price was certainly right. With wine, 19.30 E.

The only downside of my time in Paris was that it was frustrating to only have four days. Paris is just special in a way that is hard to describe. It's soft, beautiful, genteel, easy, and oh so romantic!

My flight from CDG to Dubrovnik went very smoothly. I was a little concerned about finding where to pay the taxes for my Europebyair flight, but it was no problem. I did ask at the info desk and she told me it was at the Lufthansa desk. So, you turn right at Entrance #28 and go to the Lufth. sales desk where the "Star Alliance" is located. The tax was 52 E and I paid with credit card. Check in was right opposite the sale desk and it took about 20 min. to check in. My gate was in Satellite 2, Gate 24. Croatia Air was on time, good leg room and had the best inflight magazine of Croatia which went into my carryon. Dubrovnik next ....
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Hi Barb:

Glad to know the Europe By Air situation was easy for you. What a deal - Paris to Dubrovnik for what - 165 or so US??
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:14 AM

Yes Barb, we did have fun!! I will post some of the photos today as evidence.

Glad your whole trip was wonderful.

(I am still wondering where the jungle is...)
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Cheesehead: I think the Europebyair flights are a pretty good deal. You pay $99 US, plus a mailing charge, I think $15, and then the applicable taxes at departing airports. In Split it was 229 kuna, so approx. 32 euros.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:09 PM

howtheheck did i miss this report? Bookmarking to read later.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM

The Fodors search function doesn't seem to work for Barb's report. I've tried under both Croatia and General Interest. Dubrovnik, Barb and even hello won't get it. It's a shame since Barb has a well deserved audience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -