Old Feb 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heidelberg Hotels

Does anyone have first hand experience with any of these:

Hotel am Kornmarkt
Hotel Erna
4-Jahreszeiten

Looking for something near the old city centre, under $100, for next weekend. Other suggestions welcome.

Yes, I did look on Tripadviser.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

anyone?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

No Heidelberg travelers here?
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:34 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Walldorf last year and had a fine experience. A no-thrills yet very clean room with a view of agricultural fields (lol_. GREAT HUGE breakfast buffet as well as an indoor heated pool. Only a 10 minute car ride to Heidelberg. There's actually a Holiday Inn in Heidelberg but for some reason this one was recommended to us and it worked just great for our family of four!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM

Hi Grasshopper,

you know I haven't been to Heidelberg yet, so my recommendation is only from what I saw on their websites.

Hotel Erna seems to be the best IMO. But make sure not to book a room in the "Souterrain".

Vier Jahreszeiten would be my next choice. But confirm that you book a "Zimmer", not a "Gästezimmer" - seems that not all of the latter have private shower/WC.

Hotel am Kornmarkt is not a dump either, but not all of the rooms have shower/WC and some could be noisy (towards the Kornmarkt square, the rooms to the yard are quiet).

I am wondering if you realised you will be there over "Fasnacht" (Mardi Gras). Prices could be a bit higher than expected!

Enjoy your time in H.

Ingo
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Ingo, Isn't Mardi Gras actually Tuesday? I'm kind of hoping that everyone will have gone to sleep by Friday.

The Jahreszeiten has a great offer on their website, but they came back to me with a totally different offer that was no longer very attractive.

I think we'll try either the Erna or the Kornmarkt. Kornmarkt seems to be better situated? Right next to the funicular.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:11 PM

Grasshopper -
We stayed at a karen Brown Reccomendation and it was the pits, but I have heard that Hotel Anlage is a great choice near the castle. There is a nice restaurnat as well. Frommers reccomends this as a good nexpensive hotel.
Have a great time!!!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM

Hi Grasshopper,

I posted a thread directly to you just a bit ago, with your name in the title. We are also headed to Germany next week. Had a couple questions for you!

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Anne, I contacted the Anlage!

Jill, have a great time! Bundle up.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 05:11 PM

Grasshopper- glad you were able to contact them because I had meant to leave you the Phone # and address.
AGain, have a wonderful trip!
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 01:49 PM

Annesherrod,
Hola.
We stayed at Gasthaus Backmulde in Sept '02 in the recommended room and it was fine. The restaurant was VG, but the menu never changed, so we ate elsewhere after the first night.
M
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:20 PM

i am actually from there. i would not recommend staying in waldorf since it is a bit out of the way. kornmarkt is a good location . but ground transportation is very good over there. it will be crazy on faschings dienstag (tuesday) have fun in my hometown. its beautiful but freezing right now !!!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Grasshopper - wish I'd seen this, but I was on vacation. Where did you end up staying?
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

I stayed at Hotel Anlage. I recommend it. Right on the edge of the Alstadt, very nice place with comfy rooms and nice breakfast included.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:48 AM

I'm there a few times a year, and always stay at the BW Alt Heidelberg, mainly because they know me, give me a great rate and always, always have a room for me. This summer when I checked in, there was a huge bowl of fruit with a note that said "welcome home". Love to hear what else you did and where you went in my favorite town.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Wow, now THAT is nice! I was only in Heidelberg for two rainy days. I was visiting my daughter who has been at the University of Tubingen for the past semester. We spent the rest of the week in (snowy) Tubingen. She's transferring to the University of Heidelberg at the end of this month (after passing some difficult language proficiency exams).
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:35 AM

Is she going to be working? Let me know if you're going over again - maybe we can GTG. Email me directly at [email protected] if you want, just put something relevant in the subject line so I don't delete it.
Old Apr 5th, 2005, 10:18 PM

Hi,
Just wanted to bump up this thread as we'll be in Heidelberg end of April and are looking for hotels in the Old Town. Anlage is looking very promising but was wondering about other Old Town options. Some others we were considering are...
- Hotel am Kornmarkt
- Hotel Auerstein
- Hotel Nassauer Hof
- Vier Jahreszeiten
If anyone have stayed in any of these, do let us know what you think!

Grasshopper...
If you're back and still surfing around, we'd love to know where you stayed.

Thanks!
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 02:52 AM

hailbuzzy - what are you looking for in a hotel?

Grasshopper stayed at the Anlage. I always stay at the BW Alt Heidelberg.

Another really cute place right near the Kornmarkt is the Hotel Goldener Falke. I can't remember the price as it was a couple of years ago. It was really sweet - hardwood floors, very Swedish feeling...
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 07:00 AM

Hi celticdreams,
Sorry should have stated... we're looking to pay 80-110 Euro per night and prefer quainter but comfortable hotels

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -