Search

Heidelberg - Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heidelberg - Germany

Hi everybody!

We (four adults) will be spending a couple of days (three nights) in Heidelberg, and were wondering what nearby towns or 1 day trips could be made from there.

We will be travelling from Nuremberg (so that's not an option), and going from Heidelberg to Baden Baden (so that won't be an option either). This trip will be on October-12, so if you know anywhere around...

We love small towns, short treks through the mountains, lakes/rivers...modern Art Museums. We will be in a car, so we do not have an issue with means of transportation.

Another question. We would be willing to stay, if it were possible, in the outskirts of the city, in a house surrounded by a green landscape. It might be just fields, forest, etc. Do you happen to know any webpage (outside Airbnb) may be local webpage, where I could find this type of place to stay?

Hope you can help me!
Thanks!!

Last edited by aanro; Jun 20th, 2022 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 02:13 PM

Near Heidelberg is the village of Hirschhorn - this is worth a visit (pretty). Also visit Speyer and Worms, which has significance for Martin Luther fans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worms,_Germany

Both also have some Jewish history. Worms' cathedral is Romanesque. All these are just a stone's throw from Heidelberg, and Speyer and Worms can be visited by local transport. You might want a car for Hirschhorn.

Lavandula
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 02:34 PM

Also - for your accommodation - google "Ferienwohnung Heidelberg" or "FeWo Heidelberg", which means 'holiday apartment Heidelberg'. You will find many possibilities this way. If you can't decide, bring links back here and ask for opinions Most websites will have an English version.

Lavandula
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 02:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Trifels Castle is about an hour away. Richard the Lionhearted was imprisoned there.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 05:39 PM

We enjoyed our day in Bad Wimpfen, which we visited from Heidelberg by train.
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your reccomendations!
I was thinking, would you rather stay in Heidelberg or in Nuremberg to enjoy day trips from there?
Tks!
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 02:51 PM

I have stayed in both - those day trips that I mentioned are for Heidelberg. If you want day trips for Nuremberg there are a whole lot of different options. You can stay with Heidelberg, these are all good options. I might just add Michelstadt in the Odenwald to the list if you do Heidelberg.

Both Heidelberg and Nuremberg get a lot of tourists, both are worthy in their own right. I really like both, but since you have made plans for Heidelberg, why not stick with that?

Lavandula