switzerland in november 2022

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2022, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We are 4 adults and 2 children ages 3 and 2, and are planning a trip to Switzerland from Nov 18 thru Nov 24 2022. This will be our first trip to Switzerland. What are your recommendations of places to visit during this dates?Di toy recommend car or train? Thanksin advanced for your help
Old Jul 5th, 2022, 11:05 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Just an FYI that many cable cars and gondolas will be closed in November for pre-season maintenance. Many hotels and restaurants in alpine villages will also be closed as this is when families and businesses have a rest in between seasons.

This isn't to discourage you - we've visited in November a few times ourselves - but we do our research so we know what's open and closed. And we've been many times, so we know what to expect. We also much prefer visiting in the quiet season, so this is a perk, not a detriment for us.

But that's just us. As first time visitors, you might be disappointed visiting in November.

It all depends on your interests and what you hope to see and do. Are you city people, or are you looking for an alpine experience?

I recommend train - we've visit Switzerland often and have never rented a car. Having said that, we've never traveled with kids either, so you're requirements differ.

You can help us help you by telling us where you're flying into and out of, what your interests are, and what you want to see while in Switzerland. Cities? Museums? Chocolate factories? Mountain activities?

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 5th, 2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 07:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Agree that November would not be the time I’d choose to visit Switzerland.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 09:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My first Switzerland trip was in November. It was winter weather even at lake-level (wool coat, scarf, hat, boots). I recommend using the excellent train system. I like the French-speaking area outside Geneva along Lac Leman (Lausanne, Vevey, Montreux, etc.).
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Switzerland can be amazing in November… especially in the mountains where you may be greeted by a sea of fog blanketing the valleys while being warmed by sunshine piercing through blue skies.

Some cable cars are closed but there are fewer tourists and lines. I certainly wouldn’t discourage anyone from going in November since bad weather can be encountered year round.

The passes will probably be closed by then so I’d advise staying longer in two-three areas. My choices would be Grindelwald or the St Moritz Pontrisina area.

Last edited by kleeblatt; Jul 9th, 2022 at 09:44 PM.