heathrow to other airports in london

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which airport is the easiest to get to from Heathrow?(luton, stansted or gatwick)
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:02 AM

Hi

Both Stansted and Gatwick have special trains from central London although they are expensive and you will need to get to central London from Heathrow (underground). Normal mainline trains from central London also serve the airports and they are probably cheaper.
I think for luton you need a normal mainline train.

There are also coaches that go between all the airports and although they are cheaper they are subject to the traffic conditions.

So far as easier is concerned they are all probably about the same once you get into London.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 04:08 AM

None of the above I'm not sure if your intent is to try and save money by getting a cheaper flight out of Luton or Stansted (and I'm not sure if they exist out of Gatwick) on a low cost airline but if it is think twice. Getting to these airports is very time consuming. Yes, there are buses, tube, car services, or any combination of them .. but in the end you spend alot of time doing this. Low cost airlines also have VERY strict luggage rules. Over the limit and you pay pay pay. If this is your intent, and I am only guessing based on the kind of questions people ask on this board, remember you are already at an airport, go from there to your destination if at all possible.

Another thing, if you book separate flights (coming in on BA or AA for instance and taking Ryan Air from another airport) and your BA or AA or whatever flight is delayed they are not responsible for getting you to another flight/airport. You could lose money.

If this is not your intent I apologize, but it is not a fun experience going from Heathrow to any other airport.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:17 AM

www.nationalexpress.com

Gatwick, every 10 to 20 minutes. Take ~65 minutes. £19.

Standsted, every 30 minutes or so. Takes ~90 minutes. £20.50.

Luton, about every hour. Takes ~70 minutes. £17.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:29 AM

We had no problems transferring from Heathrow to Stansted. We arrived around 11 a.m. in Heathrow and had a 5 p.m. flight out of Stansted. It worked well and the savings were considerable, even with the cost of the bus fare. The low cost airlines have their pluses and minuses.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:34 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You really need to give us more info. The easy answer is Gatwick w/ the shortest and cheapest coach connection. Don't know what richard in france was going on about w/ all the talk of traveling into London and taking the train. The direct coaches are by far the easiest way to transfer.

BUT - we need to know how long you have for your transfer to know if it is even doable. What flight times are you looking at.

I would want an absolute <b>minimum</b> of 4.5-5 hours for LHR to LGW or STN, and 6 hours for Luton - and even then I'd be nervouse since the discount airlines have VERY strict check in requirements.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM

The easiest airport to get to from Heathrow is Heathrow.

No &quot;low cost&quot; airlines fly from Heathrow. But that just shows what a ridiculous concept &quot;low cost&quot; all Europe's major airlines (and certainly all the airlines based in the British Isles) are likely to offer fares from Heathrow competitive with Ryanair or Easyjet's flights from elsewhere to Paris or Rome (though Ryanair and Easyjet serve Paris and Rome airports that are closer to the centre than the Heathrow airlines do) - and Heathrow airlines actually fly to Frankfurt and Venice, which is more than any cheapos do.

You need, as others have said to research a specific destination specifically: Heathrow's weakness is that it serves an astonishingly small number of European destinations, and you have to go to Stansted or Luton to get a flight to, say, Zakopane.

Sometimes even London City (accessible from LHR entirely on the London tube) offers the best price/convenience deal around.

All of which said, Stansted is usually the toughest to get from Heathrow