Heathrow taxi fare

Aug 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

Heathrow taxi fare

We have decided to take the taxi to our hotel (instead of schlepping our luggage on the bus) - Heathrow Sheraton. I know it isn't too far will probably cost around $20 each way. Will the cabbie take $$ or do we need to convert to pounds. Do they take credit cards? We will be arriving in the evening, would rather not have to bother with finding a currency exchange.

Thanks,
SD
Aug 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM

Can you get pounds from an ATM before you leave the airport?
Aug 20th, 2008, 12:02 PM

UK cabbies will not take US dollars.

Only some cabbies are equipped to take credit cards. I just came back from London and rode about 6 black cabs and I didn't notice credit card machines in any of them, although I'm sure some have them.

I would just get some pounds from an ATM at the airport or convert here in the US before you leave on your trip.
Aug 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Buy some pounds from your bank before you leave home,. Might pay a little more,, but nice to have when you step off the plane., and so convenient.
This subject flies around here quite often, and most people will suggest that you get pounds at an ATM machine in the airport when you arrive.
Did you check to see if the Heathrow Sheraton has a free hotel shuttle.?
Aug 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Sheraton Heathrow or Sheraton Skyline?

Be prepared for dirty looks and grumbles - while they're required to take your fare, they will argue that they lose their place in the queue and the short ride to one of the airport hotels isn't worth it to them. I've had cabbies refuse a similar ride; when I insisted they complied. I actually believe they receive special dispensation (i.e. get to jump the queue) upon their return, but am not positive.

None of the LHR hotels have private shuttles; they all subscribe to the "Hotel Hoppa Bus" service - a pay bus operation that is widely reviled, especially around our house.

The Hoppa is £4 or £5 per person, so not cheap. However you can take your baggage trolley up to the bus stop and they'll usually help you load and unload the bags from the bus.

There are several routes served by the Hoppa, so you'll need to wait for your bus (hence the importance of knowing which Sheraton you're going to.)

A taxi to one of the Bath Road hotels (Marriott, Skyline, Holiday Inn et al) will run around £10-12 from Terminals 1,2,3, and up to £20 from Terminal 4. I took a car service (which are usually cheaper than black cabs) from the Holiday Inn to T5 a couple of months ago and I believe it was £20 but am not sure.
Aug 20th, 2008, 02:20 PM

you want to take a cab AND use US$? (even though it is a Sheraton - it ain't in the States)

Taking a cab is OK - get your £ at an ATM in arrivals. The Hoppa will be cheaper (also requires £, not $) - a taxi slightly faster since you won't have to wait for the next bus.
Aug 20th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, guess I will get pounds from the US before we leave. Will bite the bullet with the exchange rate... Pay for the convience of a taxi. Will be arriving via IB airlines.

We are staying at the Sheraton Heathrow not the Skyline. I emailed the Sheraton thru their reservation email but no response yet for a taxi request.

SD