Reload this Page >

Heathrow shuttle

Search

Heathrow shuttle

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2000, 02:57 AM
Regina

Heathrow shuttle

Has anone use this shuttle to get to his or her hotel? Only recently I found their website and after doing some research on this forum I did not see any reports regarding this service. Please help.

Old May 20th, 2000, 03:08 AM
Sheila

I think you are referring to the Heathrow Express (a shuttle is a plane, usually). <BR> <BR>There are postings here about it. It's quick fast and clean and if it's going where you want to go well recommended. <BR> <BR>It's a bit dearer than the Tube, but it all comes down to convenience of location

Old May 20th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Regina

Dear Sheila: <BR>I am referring to the door-to-door van shuttle similar to the popular one in Paris. But thanks anyway for taking your time to respond to my question. My husband is 70+ and we can afford some comfort. Besides we are going be on the way to Africa for one month with three bags and snorkeling gear so we are looking for the least painful way to get to our hotel.

Old May 20th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Lori

Regina, <BR>Are you referring to the Paddington Express train that goes from Heathrow into Paddington Station or the "shuttle bus" called Hoppa Bus that goes from the terminals to the airport hotels? <BR>Having used neither I'm not much help but if there is more than one of you and you have luggage I'd consider a driver service pickup into London from the airport rather than messing with trains, luggage hauling around and up and down escalators. My personal preference is a driver service - I realize others differ on this but the train into Paddington is not cheap, someone recently said here about 12 pounds per person, if there are two of you it's 24 pounds and you probably would still need a taxi. If you hire a driver service it's about 30 pounds anyplace in London, door to door. I vote for convenience!! The hoppa bus at Heathrow is 2.50 pounds for each person, each ride. Since most hotels in the U.S. offer free van (shuttle) service to their hotel it seems a little pricey to me, espiecally if there are a couple of you, but I doubt if you would find any taxi willing to take you only a mile or two. If anyone on this Forum has used the hoppa bus I'd like to how how it works myself because next years trip will entail an overnight stay at a Heathrow Airport hotel. I had asked if anyone could tell me what taxi fares from Heathrow to Windsor might be but really did not get any specific answers. Good Luck!! <BR>Note to Sheila - in the U.S. the word "shuttle" is frequently used for a van/bus service to and from hotels, or work, etc. Where I work we have a "shuttle bus" that goes around the campus for instance. Of course a shuttle can also be a short plane flight, etc. Language differences are so much fun!!!!!

Old May 20th, 2000, 06:10 AM
Lori

Regina, <BR>Your reply to Sheila came up while I was posting. If there is a door to door shuttle service in London it is very new (I heard something about it on my last trip), but given your circumstances I'd still opt for the driver service pickup for 30 pounds (per car .. not per person). Check out the websites - we've used this type of arrangement many times and it is great. No fuss, no bother! They meet you outside of customs holding a sign with your name on it, the drivers are always nice about helping out with luggage, etc. and you go straight to your hotel, no stops for others! We've used the Paris shuttle and that is great, but it can take time making stops and if you are tired out (who isn't???) from the trip the driver service is really great. <BR>

Old May 20th, 2000, 07:25 AM
Patrick

I agree about a car service. The one we use from Heathrow to our rented flat in central London costs 25 pounds and is great, certainly cheaper that two tickets on the Express plus a taxi to your hotel. Regarding the Hoppa, we just used it when we stayed one night at the Radisson at Heathrow. It was great. We used the Hoppa in the morning and it couldn't have been easier. It seems that each different bus services about three hotels, so there is not a lot of stopping at other places. The driver even gets off and helps you with your luggage.

Old May 20th, 2000, 12:59 PM
Lori

Thanks for the Hoppa Bus info Patrick. Do you by any chance remember what frequency they do their route - i.e., every 30 minutes, 15, etc.? How was the Radisson Hotel? We have only been back a few weeks and I'm planning next year's trip and all this kind of info is just wonderful believe me.

Old May 22nd, 2000, 08:49 PM
Q. P.

Regina, a car service isn't necessary, but it is an affordable luxury, especially if you're carrying a lot of stuff. I've twice used Airport Express Cars, Ltd. and been pleased with them; as of a couple of years ago, they charged just 15 pounds to take my wife and me and all our luggage to Heathrow from our Bloomsbury B&B. If you call ahead they can meet you at Heathrow when you arrive. The number is (or was--I just dug it out of my notes) 0171-722-2700. <BR> <BR>Q.P.

Old May 23rd, 2000, 06:48 AM
elvira

Hire a car and driver <BR>Hire a car and driver <BR>Hire a car and driver <BR> <BR>I am a big fan of public transportation (Gatwick Express, RER, etc.) but when there is a lot of luggage and/or a lot of people, the hired car/driver is no longer a luxury. There is nothing better than seeing that chauffeur cap and your name printed on a sign after a long flight.