Chianti wineries

May 18th, 2000, 12:49 AM
Marko

Chianti wineries

Hi Has anyone some suggestions for wineries in the Chianti area ?? we will have our own car and were thinking about just driving around and taking pot luck. Here in Australia all wineries welcome you with open arms is it like that in Chianti? Do a lot of them serve food and what is the alcohol limit for drivers and do the police patrol .

May 18th, 2000, 02:44 AM
Mike Miller

We toured numerous Chianti "Frattorias" (that is a vineyard/olive grove)in Oct 99. My best advice is to get a good area guidebook such as Fodors or Frommers. They will tell you which frattorias are open to the public. Most do post a sign that says they are open. We did alot of free tasting and sampling of oils. Never found a frattoria that served dinner but I'm sure you could find one. I do have a Restaurant to recommend. It is in Castellina in Chianti and the name of it is La Torre. Enjoy!

May 18th, 2000, 04:58 AM
Paul

I can point you to a web site which lists the open wineries all over Italy. This page will bring up a clickable map, so you can select the region you're interested in. However, it's always a good idea to call ahead first. The web address is: http://www.wineday.org/cantopen/euro...a/welcome.html

May 18th, 2000, 02:52 PM
Michael

I would strongly recommend that you get a copy of the May 15th edition of "Wine Spectator". It has exactly what you are looking for... good wineries that offeer tours and tastings. My wife and I planned most of our trip using that magazine. Be careful and fax or call ahead as many of these wineries will welcome you, but are sometimes full or may be closed based on the travel of the owner or manager. Good luck and have fun. Ciao.

May 19th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Paula

We just returned from Tuscany and enjoyed a book by Oz Clarke titled Wine Companion to Tuscany. It listed all of the wineries and also restaurants. We found it to be helpful. Be careful drinking and driving, the roads are dangerous and curvy enough as it is. Plus people take the entire curve on the S222 so you have to stay elert for that.

May 23rd, 2000, 07:13 AM
Lisa Peretz

My husband and I spent a few days driving around the wineries last week. I don't know where you're coming from, but we came from Florence and were staying just outside Siena.

The first day, we stopped at wineries between the two alonfg the beautiful and very curvy SS222 "The Chiantigiana":

Castello di Vicchiomaggio:
They have a tasting shop just off the SS222 called the Cantinetta San Jacopo (open 8:30 am-7:30 pm). The wine was good and the non-English speaking woman was very nice. (055)854-079

Castello di Verrazzano: just down the SS222 also had a shop. The wine was great and the woman spoke English and was very warm and full of dining suggestions.
www.verrazzano.com

NOTE THAT CASTELLO UZZANO IS CLOSED.

Villa Vignamaggio (near Greve) also off the SS222. They were the least warm to non-guests. They had a room to taste wine. The grounds from what we could see from the outside looked absolutely beautiful.

Day 2, we did a loop starting in Siena to Castello Brolio, Castello Meleto, Badia e Coltibuono, and back around to Siena.

Castello di Brolio is a castle which you can tour the grounds. Its up a long winding driveway and is a must see. Then head back down the hill to their tasting facility for some good insight and a taste of their great wine: Barone Ricasoli Cantina di Brolio. It's past the restaurant and around a curve. Ask directions when you pass the restaurant on the way down the driveway.

After Brolio,we followed signs to Gaiole and on 408came to

Castello Meleto: A castle with a tour. Our timing was off so we didn't do the tour, but they also have some apartments that looked cute to stay in and offered a wine tasting in their shop.

2 miles east of Radda:
Badia e Coltibuono. There's a fabulous, beautiful terrace restaurant with a good view and great food. You can drink their wine here too. After lunch (need a reservation (o577) 749-424), check out the 1/2 hour tour of the abbey, wine cellar and garden. A MUST!!!!!!

If you're not tired, go ahead to Castello di Volpaia. It's off a byroad before t=you hit Radda.

Most of the numbers and fax numbers are listed in Frommers and Fodors. Definitely get the May issue of Wine Spectator and Bon Appetit. Call or fax these places ahead for times and offerings. I reccomend all of them. Have Fun!!!!

If you have any questions, email me.