Heathrow/Gatwick transport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Europe Sept 12-22 and will be in London the 19th-22nd. We land at Heathrow but depart from Gatwick and there-in lies the problem. All the bus and train sites state travelers can only take a small luggage item with them (biggest 20X70X30 cm).

I can't believe we're the only tourists to encounter this, or maybe I'm overlooking something. Which transport did you use and did they accommodate larger suitcases? (I'm not asking huge by any means, slightly larger all the same)
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I can't imagine which train sites you've been looking at, but there are no restrictions on how much luggage you can take on a train, other than what your own back and arms can handle and what won't arouse your fellow-passengers to homicidal rage if it gets in their way.

National Express who run the coaches between the two say

"Luggage is limited to two medium sized suitcases per person, plus one piece of hand luggage on all services.

We can offer no advanced guarantee that excess luggage will be carried, as we have no idea what each customer will bring."
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM
P_M

Look into a car service:

www.justairports.com
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:21 AM
P_M

To clarify:

I believe PatrickLondon is right, I've never heard of any such restrictions. But if you have big luggage you don't want to haul around, the car service might be less of a hassle.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:37 AM

We use National Express bus from Heathrow to Gatwick and there are no restrictions on luggage.

Full details: see Patrick's answer from their website.
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 10:42 AM

There ARE restrictions on what can be carried on NE coaches and trains - but OP is wrong as to what they are

< We ask that each passenger only brings a maximum of two medium sized suitcases weighing no more than 20kg each and one piece of hand luggage with them when travelling by coach. If you do carry more than this allowance we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate the excess baggage. Space can often be of a premium and we cannot predict what luggage other passengers on the same journey may bring. >

http://www.nationalexpress.com/utili...ewWindow=false

< Customers may take up to three items of personal luggage free of charge, this includes two large items (such as suitcases or rucksacks) and one item of smaller hand luggage (such as a briefcase). Full details of the free allowances are available at stations.

Excess luggage and certain more bulky items (such as skis) may be carried, subject to available space, at an extra charge.

On Gatwick Express services bulky items such as skis are conveyed free in the luggage van. There is plenty of space on board for other luggage. >
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passen...ge_animals.htm

BUT if OP has enough luggage to even ask the question then a car (or rather truck) service is going to be the best option, either that or learn to pack like a European.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 01:43 PM

I'm just curious as to what sites are giving such a misleading impression, or how it's possible to misread something else.