Heathrow Express v Tube

Apr 10th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Jean

Heathrow Express v Tube

Which is faster? I will be staying in S. Kennsingtom, would it be faster to take a taxi to Paddington and take the Heathrow Express or just as efficient to take tube to Heathrow. P.S will be travelling in morning.

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:10 PM
elaine

If you will be traveling in the morning rush hour the station and tube trains from South Ken can be very crowded and there may not be much room or comfort for you and your bag. You also need to manage your bag up and down stairs in the tube.
The tube is of course very inexpensive, and as you know, a straight ride to Heathrow which is a major advantage from South Ken. If you are traveling later in the morning and can handle your bag on stairs, the tube is simpler.
It's not so much a matter of time to me, but the H. Express is about 15-20 minutes faster and more costly. However, once you cab it to Paddington Sta you will face some long corridors but no stairs or escalators. The H. Express train is on the main level of the station.

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:13 PM
elaine

I forgot to mention the factor of walking from your hotel to the South Ken. station.
Time, plus dragging your bag(s).
In Feb my hotel was 3 blocks from the K'bridge tube stop, and in mid-afternoon I opted to cab it to Paddington because I didn't want to move my bag three blocks and down into the tube.

Apr 10th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Jean

Thanks Elaine you answered my questions, a cab to Paddington it is. I had concerns about being on tube at rush hour with bag. I will be coming home and I hate to start the long journey home already frustrated.

Apr 10th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Jeff

Believe me I don't question the comfort of the Paddington Express and if money is no object, it's probably the best way. Just some facts.

The time savings may not be as much as it seems as you have to factor in the trip to Paddington. Say a £5 cab ride. Rush hour traffic....could make the trip as much as 20 or 25 minutes, the trains run every 15 minutes so let's compromise and say 7 1/2 minutes till you catch the train, 15 minutes to Heathrow. 47 minutes elapsed time.

3 block walk to South Kensington station let's say 6 minutes, two minutes to stagger over to lift and down the lift. Trains to Heathrow run every 3 to 5 minutes. Trip is direct. Elapsed time about the same..

Comfort goes to Paddington Express.

Rush hour arguement to me is not so big a problem as you are sort of going west against the rush hour tide and as soon as you pass Glouester Rd., it is highly unlikely there will be too many people on the train other than those going out to Heathrow.

So the time saving is not as large as it seems. It is more convenient to just get in the cab at your hotel but you still have a bit of a walk from the cab stand to the track at Paddington.

Of course, we are comparing £16 (cab + train) vs. £3.50......so now you have all the facts and you may be able to make an informed decision.

Apr 11th, 2002, 12:24 AM
AnnaC

Just one more point to add to the discussion. If you are travelling with certain airlines, you can check in at Paddington - so if you are checking in your bags, once you get to Paddington you can say goodbye to them and not have to worry about dragging them from the train to the airport check in. I know that British Airways and American Airlines have check in there, if you are flying with another airline, just call them to check.

Apr 11th, 2002, 02:11 AM
JOdy

You better call American Airlines too. Last year they had closed the checkin at Paddington after 9/11. Call twice , I called and was told it was open and when we got there it wasn't!