Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Heathrow Express is closed Easter Sunday - Best Alternative?

Feb 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

We're arriving in London on Easter Sunday. When I tried to buy tickets for the Heathrow Express a message came up saying it would be closed that day and that an alternative would eventually be posted. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Thanks
Feb 12th, 2007, 07:10 PM

You can take the tube.
Feb 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM

Yeah, the underground is the next alternative. It may take longer (about 50mins, depending on your destination), but at least it is cheaper!
Feb 13th, 2007, 03:10 AM

Where you are staying, how many there are of you, what's the age breakdown, any disabilities, how much luggage you are carrying, when you are arriving on Easter Sunday?

There are several possibles apart from the HEX but without knowing the above we can't make good guesses as to what the *best* option will be for yu
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

We're arriving at 11:30 am. There are three of us, two adults and one teenager. We're staying at the HI in Kensington. Would like to see the countryside on the way into London rather than take the tube, but would go with what's quickest, safest, easiest, etc.
Thanks for your help
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:40 AM

There is no countryside between HR and London. And the tube doesn't go underground until it is nearer the downtown part of London -- but not any great scenery either.
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:41 AM

If I initiate the reservation process for April 8 at HeathrowConnect.com, it shows regular trains throughout the day.

But both the HX and Connect dump you at Paddington, so you still have to work out transportation to Kensington.

The Tube is almost as fast, infinitely cheaper, and takes you to Gloucester Road station, a six-minute walk (according to TfL) from your hotel.
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Yes, the Tube would be cheaper but given the need to move yourselves and baggage from the Tube stop nearest your hotel to the hotel itself would you consider using a car service?

I agree about the lack of countryside unless you consider bricks and mortar to be in that category.
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:51 AM

BTW the service suspension apparently has to do with planned engineering works, not the religious holiday.
Feb 13th, 2007, 06:59 AM

Countryside between LHR and London

For getting to your hotel w/ 3 passengers, I would take a car service (approx £30 or so - not per person but total). justairports.com is about the cheapest - and if you pay cash there is a substantial discount. And that is door to door w/o schlepping bags at all.

2nd choice would be the tube (even IF the HEX was running that day. The train is fast but then you have to take the tube or a taxi)
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Countryside between LHR & London Please excuse my laughing!! It's city and more city all the way Much of it underground if you take the tube. Not exactly scenic by any means (above or below ground for that matter).

With three people (and related luggage) I'd use a car service, but that is just my opinion and you did ask for suggestions. Otherwise the tube is your alternate choice I'd say.
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:50 AM

As a follow on and not to discourage you from taking the Tube in any way but just another piece of info: the Tube starts out at Heathrow and that's the good news.

The not-so-good news is that the cars are not equipped in any way, shape, or form, for baggage so you either pile it onto seats or at your feet.

I KNOW this is a MINOR point for some and yet for others when they see people taking up public transport seats with luggage they go ballistic.
Feb 13th, 2007, 07:56 AM

I honestly think that the Heathrow Express being closed is a blessing in disquise for you. Assuming the three of you were going to take the Express then a taxi to your hotel from Paddington, I can pretty well assure you that you can get a private car to meet you, take you directly to your hotel and the entire time will be less than the Express/taxi/transfer combination and the price will be LESS as well.
I suggest you either call Swiss Cottage Cars at 011-44-207-431-2700 or go online and book with JustAirports.com, but pay cash for better savings.
Not only will the total trip be easier, but will probably save you time and money as well!
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:35 AM

On Easter Sunday I suspect they'll be lots of space on the Tube
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Yes, Alan is probably correct that there will be more space to put your luggage on the seats than usual.
Feb 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM

If money is an object, Tube Oyster Fares from LHR to Gloucester Road are hard to beat: £3.50 0700-1900 M-F, £2 other times.

Cash fare on the Tube is £4.

Are you still going to rent a car for 9 days?
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Since the tube starts at Heathrow, there is never a problem finding a place for the luggage -- the train is empty when you get on. The issue is that some locals may give you dirty looks later on along the route as the train fills up and becomes more crowded. As far as I'm concerned, let them give the dirty looks. Lots of locals use the tube to get to and from the airport with their luggage so this is not a "tourist" thing. And others are right that on Easter Sunday the tube will probably be pretty uncrowded.

I still stand by my suggestion of getting a car service, however. It could be the best 30 pounds or so you'll spend on the entire trip.
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM

On Underground cars, there are doors on both sides. The ones on the left side (as you face in the direction of travel) are unused on most runs.

So the entire side of the car for a distance of six feet or so (fore-and-aft) is available to stack suitcases. Thus situated, they are of no inconvenience to the other passengers.

Here is the layout around the tube station, so you can make up your own mind whether a short walk is worth $60 to you: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/Dow...cesterRoad.pdf

Instructions for getting to the hotel: turn left outside the station, walk to the main set of traffic lights and you will see the Hotel across the street, on the left hand side.
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Hey, I might change my mind if the hotel is as close to the tube station as you say. I was assuming it wasn't a short walk, but maybe my image of where the HI in Kensington is way off.

Living by the "do as I say not as I do rule", I actually have turned to usually taking the tube from Heathrow to my rental flat -- as it is about a block from the Covent Garden tube station which is a direct shot from Heathrow and even has an elevator (plus about 11 steps).
Feb 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM

The Piccadilly line trains are equipped with a place for luggage - not racks or anything but there is space by the door for suitcases - it is the people who insist on sitting in the middle of the car with their huge suitcase in front of them (thereby blocking the walkway) who deservedly get the ditry looks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO