Heathrow Express in London

Jul 4th, 2001, 08:25 AM
Chris

Heathrow Express in London

For a family with children, this would appear to be the best choice for transfer from and particularly to Heathrow out of Paddington Rail Station. The children ride free with a paying adult. The check in desk at Paddington Station when leaving London is very convenient for passengers on either the Star Alliance or One World Airlines. They provided boarding passes and checked the bags for our flight to the U.S. and the conection to Kansas City. This saves you time and stress in making the departure flight. The express only takes 15 minutes and leaves every 15 minutes. You can take the tube straight into Paddington. The trains are spacious and not crowded. Perhaps the cost of 22 pounds per round trip keep people from using this service but it makes sense with children.

Jul 5th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Ila

Is it worth dragging luggage around the airport (escalators etc.) getting to the train? It seems that Hotelink will get you from door to door for about the same price if you take into account a cab ride from Paddington to the hotel (or more luggage hauling on the tube).

Jul 5th, 2001, 04:49 PM
janis

Ila: You have to "lug your luggage" just as far to get to the Hotel Link - and once there the trip takes 3 times longer.

Jul 5th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Ila

Thanks Janis. Didnt know that. So I take it that the best way to get from Heathrow to a hotel in Central London would be the Heathrow Express and not even one of the "taxi" services dispite having luggage?

I did see some carts around the terminal (4) when I was there briefly last time. Can one take the carts on an elevator and get all the way from baggage claim to the Heathrow Express boarding platform with the luggage on a cart?

Jul 5th, 2001, 09:02 PM
Prue

If you were to do a search you will find lots of information on this subject - including some about limousine services which are another alternative for people with luggage, and which many people on this Forum swear by.

Jul 5th, 2001, 09:49 PM
janis

I actually haven't paid much notice about how far the trolleys (carts) are allowed since I pack light and don't use them. Maybe someone else will know if you can take the trolleys to the train platform - I'd' guess you can but I don't honestly know.

But if you have a LOT of bags, a limosine service or mini cab (prebooked) might be a good alternative.

Jul 6th, 2001, 12:41 PM
xxx

I seem to recall that you cannot take trolleys all the way to the platform. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

Jul 6th, 2001, 01:39 PM
Lori

After getting off a long flight (with or without children) I see no point in taking a bus or a train into London and then still having to get a taxi to a hotel. It's not a fun way to start a trip, unless you are traveling without luggage (doubtful). With a family and luggage why not contact a driver service for a pick up at Heathrow. It's 35 pounds door to door .. we have used several companies in the past, and found Ray Skinner of London Transfers to be wonderful when we used his service in April. www.london-transfers.com. It might cost a little more for a minivan if you have a lot of people but it is really worth it. Why start a vacation out hassling luggage, luggage carts, stairs, escalators, etc. It makes no sense to me and even if you manage to save a pound or two it's not worth the hassle. Isn't anyone besides myself ever tired when you get off a 10 hr plane ride?

Jul 6th, 2001, 01:45 PM
JOdy

While it might be easier to get a driver on arrival, nothing beats the Heathrow express goingback to airport for your flight home, you check your baggage at Paddington,pick up boarding passes , no lines no hassle and get on the train unencumbered! We are only 2 so I gues with more people a minivan and driver might be less expensive. By the way there are elevators to get you to the train platform you dont have to use stairs or escalators!