Heat Wave and Venice

Search

Heat Wave and Venice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat Wave and Venice

Am headed for Venice in about 10 days...was prepared for 85-90 degree temps in Italy in August, but have to admit that I'm a bit apprehensive about 95 to 100 plus.

Has anyone in Italy heard any extended forecasts for the month? I've checked the internet weather sites and it seems like temps will be dropping to the upper 80's next week - anyone heard anything further? (Not that I put much stock in extended forecasts, but I'm grabbing at straws here.)
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Forecasts for the next few days are still around 30-33C (around 90F), and with humidity being so high, it feels even worse. Sadly, they say the heatwave will last until September I just pray that they are wrong..!!

Federico - Venice
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Intrepid

Pray even harder that you a) reserved a hotel that is air conditioned, and b) the air conditioning is as powerful as the air conditioning in those dreaded "chain" hotels that everyone told you to avoid.

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:53 PM
rex

While I wouldn't put a lot of faith in 10-day forecasts, the 10-day forecast for Venice on http://uk.weather.com shows a reduction in the highs, from the 32-34 range, to about 29 on Sunday the 17th (10 days from now).

About what you were expecting. you did choose to go to Italy in August, after all.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

Yes - the hotel is supposedly well air conditioned, according to my Venetian colleague who recommended it (not a chain by the way...we generally avoid those.)

And, like I said, I expected temps up to high 80's/90's in August (I've been to Italy at around that time before.) But this recent heat wave - temps over 100 - is a bit daunting.

Anyway, am planning to simply drink lots of water, lay low in the midday heat (when everything's closed anyway) and mostly appreciate our luck to be in Venice at all.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 04:29 AM

10 day weather forecasts in Venice??? Oh God...(still laughing)...I've never laughed so hard in the morning since I came on board at Fodors. Thank you so much!

You booked Venice in August...get what you deserve.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:00 AM
ira

Hi hadley,

There is really not that much difference in the way you will feel at 90 or at 100, especially if it is humid.

As you say, "drink lots of water, lay low in the midday heat... and mostly appreciate our luck to be in Venice at all".

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I guess we'll "get what we deserve." What a lovely sentiment. (For the record, I'm well aware that August is not the best time to visit Venice; unfortunately, we have some some scheduling constraints due to - amongst other factors - a seriously ill child. So, perhaps the snark is misplaced.)Will reconsider next time before posing a seemingly benign question.

Anyway, thanks Ira, Venexiano, etc. for your helpful and gracious responses. Am very much looking forward to Venice, heat and all!

Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:02 AM

I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time, Hadley...even in August. Venezia is truly magical.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:30 AM

Lay low in your well air-conditioned room during the mid days and try to be out and enjoy very early morning - late night Venice. The heat will be more bearable + there will be less people. Best hours to enjoy Venice in summer!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Yes, this is what we'll do. Midday naps all around. I fear that my biggest challenge will not be the heat, but hauling my teenager out of bed early in the morning!

Statia - I haven't been in Venice in twenty years and am glad to hear that it's as magical as I remember.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 07:55 AM

try, if at all possible logistically and finacially, to book a starwood hotel - they're expensive, but i use points.

you can use the pool/beach facilities at the lido hotels (excelsior/des bains) and it makes summer stays in venice really quite pleasant. we stayed at the E&R for 5 nights in late June (temp was in low 80's), and everyday we would spend a few hours lounging by the pool at the excelsior. they also have a boat that goes directly from the venice hotels to the lido - very convenient.

if you can't do that, spend some time at the lido. nothing like the beach on a hot day!

ciao

coachboy

ps. or if you're loaded, go to the cipriani
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 08:14 AM

I also am headed there in August, and disagree with many that August is a bad month to travel. I have been throughout Europe in every month on the calender, and have heard everyone complain or preach that NO ONE is in Paris or Italy during August, and that most stores are also closed. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Some of the BEST weather I have encountered in Italy/France has been in August. You can never tell, especially in PAris (I hate to change locations on you), and not all the stores are closed. Also some of us want to travel with our family, and July/August seems like the only time everyone can take off. Enjoy your trip, hope for the best, and don't mind anyone else!
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 10:42 AM

Good God, hadley, shame on you for exploiting an ill child to justify this silly thread. Why do American tourists need so much attention? (Now there?s a good thread!) A travel forum as good as this one is no place for therapy or whining about heat in August. Furthermore, stay out of the ocean if you don?t want to swim with the sharks.