Healthyback Bag Security?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always liked the look and purpose of the Healthyback Bag. However, I have one concern -- it would keep my valuables behind me and out of my sight. I have always heard that keeping your purse in front of you with the strap positioned across your chest rather than dangling from one arm was the most secure way to travel. Any opinions from others? Many thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 09:16 AM
Slw

The Healthy bag is meant to be more under your arm with the zipper facing forward. It's close to your body and not really on your back.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:00 PM

I never worry about mine becaue the zipper is kind of under my arm in my armpit. Plus, it is a 2 way zipper and you can zip it such that the zipper pulls are at the top way under your arm.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:06 PM

Sometimes (with the zipper facing forward), I actually rest my arm on the zipper. Since you have the option of having the zipper close at top or bottom, I usually close it at the borrom, which is where I often rest my hand.

If I'm really tired, or the bag is really stuffed, I have even been known to wear it bandolier style across my chest. It ain't purty, but it works.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM

You can lengthen the strap and wear the strap across you chest if you wish. At least I can with mine, a size large.

I was wearing it in the traditional manner, over my shoulder in Barcelona near the Picasso museum and a nice local gentleman suggested I wear it across the front for security.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:13 PM

I also wear mine across my chest if there is any doubt of my surroundings. Otherwise, same as the above; the bag hangs under your arm; it is not a backpack. Since the zipper runs both ways, the bag ends up with two zipper pulls either at the top or bottom of the zipper (I usually zip it downwards). I put a "twistie" (from any grocery store item) through it for extra security. There is also a clip inside which I use to attach my change purse (obviously you need a change purse with a clip on it or a large opening in the zipper pull) so that it can never fall out even when I am removing Euros. My only problem with the bag is that it has so many useful pockets inside that I have to really memorize where I have put things!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:38 PM

Palette, that is the problem with my healthy bag, too many pockets and I'm trying to do too many things at once that often I have the darn thing wide open digging through it trying to find something. I find I need things in different pockets depending on where I am traveling and the weather condition I do get frustrated not being able to just reach in and pull out what I want!!!! I love the bag but it does give me fits at times Deborah
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM

I saw a set of organizer bags for these purses and I'm thinking of getting some. If I put my purse down someitmes lots of the smaller things I have stashed in the smaller open pockets fall out and become mixed up on the bottom of the purse.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM

julies, where do you find the organizer bags, I sure could use them. I have had my healthy bag for several years and something I just did to it was to put a thin strap of black elastic about three inches above the outside pocket (the narrow open pocket opposite the zipper) I can then put a small folded umbrella or a bottle of water there and it doesn't slip out because the pocket is rather shallow. I have the LLBean Traveler microfiber style so the elastic blends right in. It was great when I was travel solo in Paris last fall. Deborah
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have not used that bag, but like clear plastic zippered cosmetic bags - great for keeping a pocketbook organized with everything visible at a glance.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:30 PM

I'm the opposite. BECAUSE there are so many pouches (and I've added a couple: a little nyon bag with a clip, clipped to the keyring, and a SportSac cosmetic bag), I always know exactly where everything is and there is nothing floating at the bottom of the purse. (Little nylon bag has SweetnLow, Sominex, metro tickets; the other has bandaids, breath mints, regular mints, etc) My lipstick is in the outside zipper pocket so I can easily access it, as well as Carte Orange.
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

I'm a convert now -- thanks to all your good advice. That pink one in the latest L.L. Bean catalog is MINE!
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 05:49 PM

I saw the organizer bags a few weeks ago on the SierraTrading Post web site. But by the time I decided to buy them they were sold out (this is an outlet store site). By the way, if you're looking for one of these purses they had them at discount prices on their website the last time I looked. I doubt if ther was a pink one though.