Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can you wear a "fanny pack" into the Borghese Gallery?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:07 AM
crp

I read the rules for the Borghese and it seems that you cannot bring in anything such as purse, camera, umbrella etc.<BR><BR>If you can't wear a fanny pack --- where do<BR>women put everything; such as money, passport etc?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:20 AM
mjn

The Borghese was very strict about checking all handbags, etc. I put my wallet in my pocket. If you're carrying passports, etc. you can probably carry a small see through plastic bag with valuables. Some of the museums offer such bags.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:29 AM
Jess

The museum did let me carry my small purse. Women who had purses of reasonable size were allowed to carry them in, at least on the day that I was there. All that I HAD to check was my umbrella.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:41 AM
Alice Twain

And there is a wardrobe where you can leave all your valuables, obviously.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 09:42 AM
FashionPolice

Even if you could wear a fanny pack...<BR>why would you want to???

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 10:08 AM
crp

Thanks for the response -it is appreciated.<BR><BR>Fashion Police-<BR>I would want to-in orderto keep certain<BR>items with me. But, thanks for your concern-it is also appreciated.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:15 AM
xxx

The Borghese Gallery is all about taste and art. So, of course, they don't allow fanny packs. It would be against taste itself!!!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:46 AM
Walter

crp: "Bum bags/packs" honestly are a pickpocket magnet, if you wear one don't keep anything of value in it.<BR> Also on international forums or in the company of people from the UK and I assume elsewhere like Australia, it's best to call them "bum bags". Regards, Walter

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:48 AM
Karen

To add to Walter's comments, "fanny" has quite a different meaning in the UK and Australia.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:51 AM
Janice

Total magnet for pick-pockets, grifters and anybody with an inclination to rip you off. Just carry a regular handbag like everybody who lives there does.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:08 PM
crp

Even though the restrictions say NO purse ---- I can take a small purse???<BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 01:42 PM
ttt

top it for crp

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:16 PM
orgy7

have PLEASE MUG ME, engraved on the pack. If your lucky enough not too have anything stolen you will be targeted by every hustler in town.. <BR><BR><BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:18 PM
Anna

Boy oh boy you guys are really hard on this poor gal!

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 02:33 PM
mary kay

For crp:<BR>When we visited the Borghese Gallery, we had to check everything (cameras, umbrellas, purses) at their coat check. It was very secure and guarded. Our passports and credit cards were in neck wallets worn under our shirts, so we would have them with us at all times. I' a class-A worry wart, but I didn't worry about leaving items in their coat check. The reason they check things is for the safety of their sculptures. They don't want a wayward bum pack or purse to whack over a priceless Bernini! So, get a neck wallet and leave the bum pack at home, would be my advice. Enjoy the Borghese; it is one of my favorite places!<BR><BR>Mary Kay

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:43 PM
janis

crp: There are many reasons to leave your fanny pack at home. (And if you decide to take one anyway, DO be sure to call it a belt bag or bum bag - NEVER a fanny pack.)<BR><BR>1) they pin point you as a nervous tourist and the most likely one to be targeted by theives.<BR><BR>2) you'll have to check it anyway so you haven't gained anything<BR><BR>3) When worn inside your coat or jacket they stick out making you look pregnant or very fat <BR><BR>4) Fashion faux pas (the least important reason) unless it is a very expensive leather one.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:44 PM
crp

Mary Kay I'm going to buy one of those tomorrow thanks for your help.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 03:49 PM
Lesli

Better yet, leave most valuables in hotel safe (if there is one - passport, plane tix, etc.; locked luggage is another alternative) and check your purse if required. <BR><BR>When I had to check my handbag at a couple of museums in Venice last fall, I just carried my wallet and let them have the bag.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:09 PM
Carolyn

Legitimate question: Why are they called FANNY packs? What part of your anatomy is your fanny?

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:18 PM
Lesli

In the US, some folks refer to their backside as their "fanny." <BR><BR>In the UK, it refers to an intimate part of the female antatomy. Thus their use of the term "bum bag," and their shock at the US terminology.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -