Health Insurance in Ireland

Sep 9th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Health Insurance in Ireland

Does anyone get health insurance when they travel abroad? My mother in law is 85 and I am wondering about it. Will her medicare card serve any purpose?
Sep 9th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Yes, no, but the Irish government will cover any EMERGENCY treatment she needs
Sep 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Is there a company that offers insurance to people that are 85?
Sep 9th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Last year I was in Dublin....had an emergency...thought I was having heart problems. I went to the nearest hospital.
I had several tests done...blood work etc. When I went to settle the bill....I was handed a bill for 60euro.

Sep 9th, 2007, 01:29 PM

Medicare rarely covers medical needs outside the U.S., although some private plans do. Best is to go to insuremytrip.com and buy a policy from one of the number of companies listed; you can easily do comparisons of coverage and cost.
Sep 9th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for that response. I may be worrrying about nothing.
Sep 9th, 2007, 03:52 PM

letsembellish,

Check the web-site Underhill gave you. I've used TravelGuard which I have had two claims and they came through for me. I've also used AccessAmerica. I'm in my seventies and I always travel with one or two companions and I get a group policy for all of us not just health but plane tickets, prepaid car rental, 1st night hotel, lost luggage, in other words the works. For three of us on my last trip, I think it was about $500 for everything. One of my claims with TravelGuard was when a sister couldn't go because of health reasons and they paid her ticket. When getting it be sure and read about preexisting conditions. I have 2 major ones and I was still covered if I bought the insurance at a certain time before the trip. In England my medicare was excepted, in Ireland the doctor did charge me. It was just an office visit so, I paid it rather than use the insurance.

Now, after this long winded reply, I'll close. I hope it's been helpful. Oh, by-the-way my Mother had her first trip to Ireland when she was 85. She returned and told her girls we had to go. I've always minded my Mother and I've been 8 times.

Joan
Sep 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight.
Sep 10th, 2007, 12:35 AM

You will NEVER be turned away from a hoispital here but may have to wait a while in the Emergency room if its Dublin. Visits to Casualty are 60 euro.

Search this Thread