Reload this Page >

Headgear in Paris?

Search

Headgear in Paris?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:58 AM
Carmen

Headgear in Paris?

If you can stand one more fashion question... Husband and I will be in Paris the second half of July. As he is very fair and --ahem-- scant of hair, he needs to wear a hat outdoors. He knows better than to take a baseball type cap, but what type of hat would be appropriate? A straw Panama? A fabric Tilley? <BR> <BR>Thanks for any advice. I've learned so much on this board! <BR> <BR>Carmen

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:31 AM
s.fowler

A Tilley would certainly pack better. But there are other similar hats out there -- so let him find the one that makes him feel most dashing

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:36 AM
Ursula

Well, Carmen, I think a straw Panama would look great. Take your husband to a horse race to Longchamp (Bois de Boulogne)! <BR> <BR>PS: I hope you will need protection against sun. Until now, umbrellas are still more in demand.

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:41 AM
Jody

A classic english flat cap can be had in just about any fabric, even lightweight straw. The most useful though , according to my shiny headed husband is the waxed fabric, good rain or shine. Barbour makes several styles

Old May 7th, 2001, 04:29 AM
Miles

For heaven's sake are you really that unsure of things like this? Do you have to ask other people whether to do such-and-such a thing at such-and-such a time at such-and-such a place? If everyone were like you...what would the world be?

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Al Godon

Miles, go away. Far away. It was a legitimate question. So why can't you give a legitimate answer? Or do you get your jollies by jabbing people. <BR> <BR>Carmen, I don't know. I wore a baseball type cap, and of course I stuck out as an American. So what. I do that any way. My walk, clothes, even shoes make my national identify obvious before I open my mouth. <BR> <BR>My general observation was that the locals wore little in the way of hats or caps. (I think Germans must have frost proof ears, because I was in Germany once and my ears were so cold they were hurting. Even in the sleet, I saw German males walking about with no covering on their heads.)

Old May 7th, 2001, 09:07 AM
elvira

My dad was fair and hirsutely-challenged; he always wore a CLOTH cap or hat. Most straw hats aren't a tight enough weave to protect the skin; if you can find one with a cotton lining, it'll work. Fedoras are coming into fashion; if you can find a straw version (it'll cost you a chunkachange to get a good one), hubby will be in the fashion forefront. <BR> <BR>A sunscreen with a high SPF is extra protection.

Old May 7th, 2001, 09:28 AM
herself

My husband usually wears a cloth cap while travelling. Easy to pack and if he takes it off, he can slid it in his pocket. He has a bright green one that I like, not so much for the color but while wearing that cap I can always spot him in a crowd. More subtle than a leash.

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:27 PM
Robbie

My husband is bald and must wear a hat when out in the sun. I don't know the name of the style of hat he wears, but it is similar to the golfing hats worn by Payne Stewart and Ben Hogan. They are cloth hats.

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Ginger

I'm with Miles. I say, wear what you like, what is most comfortable, and what makes you feel good about yourself. I would never tell my husband what he should or should not wear, nor he me. We're all different, that's what makes the world so very interesting and fun!

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Jody

Elvira,You are so funny!! Hirustely challenged, I am going to use it from now on!! <BR>Those cloth caps are what I was talking about , Suncsreen works wonders too and it's not as hot. Take this from someone who pays 3 dermatolgists fees every year to have head checks on hubby's pate!. <BR>Only problem was 1 day david yelled this sunscreen STINKS, he was using my NAIR on his head. never saw a man get into the shower that quickly before or since!!

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:46 PM
wes fowler

Carmen, <BR>Maybe I'm naive but the answer, considering the location, seems obvious. A beret!

Old May 7th, 2001, 01:54 PM
C. Miranda

Dearest Carmen - <BR>As a 45 year old man without hair on over 85% of my head for the past 5 years, I have found a turban to be the best headpiece for traveling. Turbans are easily packed in luggage, rarely wrinkle, and allow for a variety of styles, suitable for various events. For more formal attire, a broad swoosh with waterfall knot is my favorite! <BR> <BR>Best regards, <BR>Mr. C. Miranda <BR>Biloxi, Mississippi