Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are the most surprising little cities of Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2001, 08:16 AM
richardab

I was wondering if anyone has visited a small city in Europe and found it to be much better than expected? <BR> <BR>I was just in Munich for a few days and although this is a popular destination, I don't know why more people don't come here. The city was spotlessly clean and safe. The food was EXCELLENT and the people the friendliest I have ever met in Europe. I was there for three days and didn't have time to see all the sights. The best two things about this place was those Bavarian Pretzels with beer and the shopping! OH! The shopping!

Old May 6th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Carolynn

Along the east coast stopped in the Republic of San Marino, an independent country of 23 square miles and worth visiting for the shops and vistas. In the Umbria region, visited towns of Perugia (known for the Perugina chocolates) and unbelievable old tunnels under the town. Also visited San Gimignano, just another delightful Italian small town en route from Rome to Florence.

Old May 6th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Linda

Second San Marino. Also, Trier. People are friendly, but the variety in the town is wonderful. And it is small and so easy to get around. Not to mention that the wine bars are an excellent way to while away a very pleasant few hours.

Old May 6th, 2001, 09:43 AM
Capo

Linda, it was so funny to see you mention Trier as that's the town I was going to mention! The only reason I went there was because I'd met a woman from there in a bed & breakfast in Edinburgh, on my first trip to Europe. We corresponded, and she invited me to visit her town on my next trip, a year later. What a delightful surprise, as I thought Trier was wonderful! <BR> <BR>I also like Menton, on the Cote d'Azur right next to the Italian border, and recently spent a day in the Tuscan town of Arezzo, where the beginning scenes to Roberto Begnini's "Life is Beautiful" were filmed.

Old May 6th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Al

Bergen, Norway -- Utrecht, Netherlands -- Betys-y-Coed, Wales.

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Betsy

Freiburg, Germany

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:53 AM
kam

Loved seeing Betys-e-Coed, Wales mentioned above. A charming little town. A vote for Montefalco in Umbria where there are outstanding views across the Umbrian countryside. Also, Colmar in Alsace.

Old May 6th, 2001, 12:11 PM
sally

Richard: We found the small town of Spello in Umbria to be very quaint. There's not alot of "sights", but it is a very magical place to visit. There is a wonderful little trattoria called Il Trombone with super food and a terrific view across the landscape from the outdoor patio. We enjoyed just walking around and visitng some of the shops; one in particular had the best pottery we saw, including that in Deruta. If you are ever in that part of Italy, try not to miss this little jewel of a town!!! Regards, Sally

Old May 6th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Audrey

Loved Spoleto - have some truffles!! Monterossa was beautiful and such great food. <BR>I,too,loved Munich and can't wait to go back. <BR> <BR>Audrey <BR> <BR>

Old May 6th, 2001, 02:40 PM
aimee

Mio, France (near Roquefort). Beautiful town, wonderful and friendly people and absolutely fabulous food!

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:27 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

I guess it all depends on perspective, but a SMALL town to me means less than 3000 people. Given that criteria, I would choose: <BR>Portovenere, Italy <BR>Hallstatt, Austria <BR>Cesky Krumlov, CR <BR>Viano do Castelo, Portugal <BR>Nerja, Spain <BR> <BR>Do yourself a favor and plan your next trip minus any city or town over say 10,000 population---my kind of trip.

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Elsa

Could somebody please tell me where Trier is? <BR> <BR>Thank you.

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Matt

Nice thread. One question though: I have never been to Munich but have always regarded it as a very large city. Is my assumption wrong? Is it that it has a small city air about it?

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:12 PM
sandy

Bremen, Germany was a nice surprise. Wonderful walkable old town with good restaurants and greats little shops. Fantastic town square, too. Don't miss the "Bremen Musicians."

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Linda

Elsa, Trier is in the western part of Germany, very near Luxembourg, north of the Saar region. It is the oldest city in Germany with Roman ruins, medieval churches, and a rococo (sp?) palace. Wonderful.

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:20 PM
e

Hi: I just wanted to let you know that Stockholm was very impressive.

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:21 PM
lynn

Matt - Munich is huge, but it's one of the most accessible large cities I've ever visited. Just about everything you'd want to see is within walking distance of the train station. Sure, it lacks the quaintness of a little town, but I think it's worth a visit.

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:27 PM
barb

I really enjoyed straasbourg,hornfluer and , ile de re and la rochelle France. <BR> <BR>All beautiful scenic places.

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Pedro

Some of them: Albi (France), Urbino( Italy), Albarracín (Spain), Viana do Castelo (Portugal), Menton (France), Ronda (Spain), Rothenburg (Germany), La Valletta (Malta), Roros (Norway), Leuven (Belgium), Delft (Netherlands),Santillana del Mar (Spain), Sarlat (France), York (UK), Ribe (Denmark), Cesky Krumlov (Czech Rep.), Sopron (Hungary),Cuenca (Spain) Eger (Hungary), San Gimignano (Italy), Dubrovnik (Croatia), Segovia (Spain).....to be continued

Old May 6th, 2001, 05:21 PM
richardab

OK, I think a few people above read the question different than I wrote it. <BR> <BR>When I referred to "Small Cities" I meant cities smaller than the Euro Mega Cities such as Paris, London and Rome. I consider Munich a small city because it is very accessible and not a mega metropolis. The population of Munich is 1.3 Million, although this seems large, the tourist areas are relitively small. <BR> <BR>This is OK! I consider cities like Sienna, Strasbourg (Pop 265,000), Stockholm (Pop 743,000) Florence (Pop 493,000) small. For me, these seem small because I come from the mega metropolis of Los Angeles with a population of 3.7 Million people! <BR> <BR>Please feel free to add any city (or village) you consider small to the list. After all this is an open forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -