Hay fever in London in May?

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Original Poster

Hay fever in London in May?

I will be in London from May 12 - May 30 and I suffer from tree pollen allergies. It looks like this is high season for tree pollen in london. Is it miserable?

In the US I used to take Actifed and it made life perfectly bearable but then they went and changed the formulation to something that's no better than a placebo, really. I understand they still sell the original Actifed triprolidine/pseudoephedrine formula in the UK at the pharmacy counter (with limit restrictions). Does anyone know if this is true? Because even if the pollen is bad, if I can get hold of some of that I'll be golden. Otherwise I'll have to order Drixoral from Canada or something before I leave. I just want to be sure I'll have something effective with me so I can enjoy my trip.

Thanks,
Angela
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:36 AM

I've had very good results with Cetirizine which is OTC and quite cheap at Walmart or Sam's Club or probably anywhere.

With doctor's advice, I take it every morning, not waiting for symptoms.
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 02:54 AM

I used to buy my cetirizene in London and Paris when it was still on RX here in the US. I still buy my Flonase there , called Flixonase in Europe in London. Actifed and Drixoral raise blood pressure so are not good for some people. I take the cetirizine regularly and am never bothered with symptoms, and I have year round allergies
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I haven't had much luck with the newer classes of allergy meds, but maybe I'll give Zyrtec with pseudoephedrine another try if I can't find my old standbys. But man, if I could get some real Actifed over there, it would be like the holy grail!
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 03:00 AM

I have the same type of allergies, tree pollens, and find Neoclarityn (desloratadine) very good. You can now buy it without prescription in the UK.
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 03:02 AM

Actifed etc still have pseudoephedrine in them here. You can only buy them in chemists - not normal shops. Piriton is the main hay fever remedy here.

Thankfully Meth isn't a problem here (yet).