Having Difficulty w/Train Italy 2 Paris

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:56 PM
nunz

Having Difficulty w/Train Italy 2 Paris

I've tried to research all the other postings but I'm still perplexed. My goal is to get from SML to Paris. I've check cheap flights from Genoa and Pisa and while the costs are so so, the lay-overs, etc. almost don't make it worth it. I'm now looking at taking the train but, for the life of me, I can't figure it out. I wanted to compare costs but under the "buy" column it says "no". Based on what I read, I can't purchase those on-line. Is that correct? I would prefer to leave SML or Genoa (or whatever makes sense) early in the a.m. and arrive in Paris before dark. If that's not possible, perhaps a sleeper train. Can anyone help point me in the right direction. Jeez, I hate feeling helpless. I even sent Trenitalia an e-mail asking for authorized travel agencies that could help me. No response. Looking forward to any help.

Best!

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me out and I'll try to help you. SML = ?
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:17 PM
nunz

Hi Tim! Sorry about that...Santa Margherita (The Italian Riveria). I also just discovered RailEurope (Eurail) France-Italy web-site but I'm not having any luck with that either. I could actually qualify for the Youth pass but I'm hitting brick walls.
www.raileurope.com/us/index.htm

Appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thank YOU

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Okay, I'm guessing that the "S" stands for Siena. (How about the "M" and "L"?)

You'll need to book two separate tickets online, one national and one international:
1. Siena - Firenze Rifredi leaving at 18:39 and arriving at 20:04.
2. Firenze Campo di Marte - Paris Bercy leaving at 20:53 and arriving at 09:10.

Take public transportation between Rifredi and Campo di Marte. Bahn.de shows a 20:22 departure and a 20:30 arrival.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:33 PM

nunz, I was writing when your message posted so I now see that I guessed wrong.

Anyway, you still need to book separate tickets:
1. SML - Milano Centrale leaving at 19:39 and arriving at 21:50.
2. Milan Centrale - Paris Bercy leaving at 23:35 and arriving at 08:23.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Buying your tickets from RailEurope will cost you more.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 03:25 PM

As Underhill says, book at trenitalia.com.

For SML-Milano the 1st class fare is E14.10 and the 2nd class fare is E8.99

Don't settle for the default standard fare for any type of sleeping compartment on the Milano-Paris night train. Choose the class you want and type of compartment (e.g., a four- or six-person couchette), and then see if there is a Smart Price fare for it. The Smart Price 2 fare in a six-person couchette is E35. The Smart Price fare in a four-person couchette is E55 (worth it for the extra space and comfort). The regular fares are much higher. I don't think you can get a discount fare for a T3 sleeper.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:07 PM
nunz

Tim and Underhill:

Thank you so much for your input. I will do some investigating this evening and see what I come up with. Hopefully, I can get this squared away. I will let you know how I do. Thank you again. I don't know what I would do without this site and folks like you. Ahhh, the internet, it's a beautiful thing.

Ciao!

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:16 PM

If you want a daytime train, the best connection is early. Leave Santa Margherita at 6:08 and arrive in Paris at 16:15 with one change in Milan.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 06:31 PM
nunz

Music Teacher:

I don't think I've ever felt so lame. I think I prefer traveling during the day as you suggest. In order to look at this schedule and purchase tickets what do I need to enter in as Do I need to enter as departure and arrival points. I tried SML to Milan but it didn't work. I though I would need to look at this as two trip SML to Milan and Milan to Paris. I also tried to see what was out of Genoa but again, I feel like a complete ding bat. Does my question make any sense to you? If so, heeeelllppp. Lost in travel he he.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:31 AM
nunz

Hello Music Teacher. Did you actually type in Santa Margherita as the departure location? I'm still not having any luck but very interested int he day travel. Hope you are having a good day. Regards

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:35 AM
nunz

Don't mean to drive you nuts. I found the train info. Looks like train 648 from SML to Milan then 9242 from Milan to Paris. I can purchase the SML to Milan leg but it won't let me purchase Milan to Paris. Would it be easier to purchase them once I arrive in Italy. Also, do you know what age bracket they consider as Youth (for ticket purchasing)? Thank you again.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:35 AM

I used the German Rail site
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en which shows connections for all of Europe.

I typed in Santa Margherita and got a popup list from which I chose S.Margherita Ligure.

If you use the Trenitalia site, enter S.Margherita Ligure.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 07:42 AM

We both posted simultaneously.

If you are going to be in Italy for a few days before this trip, I would suggest going to an Italian train station and getting the tickets there. There is a compulsory reservation on this route.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:07 AM

To purchase the Milan-Paris ticket, you first have to click on the "International" tab. (The default tab is "National.&quot

It's entirely your choice, of course, whether you take a day train or a night train. My preference is the night train because it saves the cost of a night in a hotel and gives me more daylight hours for sightseeing. If you're concerned about safety and theft, you should know that couchette doors lock from the inside. You can choose an all-female couchette as well as a mixed couchette. As I said in a previous post, the extra room and comfort in a four-person couchette is worth the higher price.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:28 AM

Do anyone know this price of this ticket with 4 person couchette?

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que..._C2-1#cis_C2-1

thank you
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 08:52 AM

The bahn.de timetable page you gave shows several times and routes to get from Amsterdam to Venice. Are you asking for a price for Amsterdam-Paris leaving at 13:23 plus Paris-Venice leaving at 20:28?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:39 AM
nunz

Tim and Music Teacher: International, that's it! I don't know how I missed that. So now I think I get it. I like the idea of a sleeper for the reasons you mention. I guess I'm a little uneasy about changing trains in Milan, etc. in the middle of the night...two females traveling. Maybe I will look at the schedule to see what it looks like. I've heard the train station in Milan can be a little dicey at times. I have no personal exp. I shall investiagte this evening. Thank you again for being there!!!!

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:49 AM
ira

Hi nunz,

At the trenitalia web site, click "promotions",

You will find
"Paris starting from 25 euro with the Artesia trains
On the day trains from Milan and Turin for Paris, seats in 2nd class start from just 25 euros.
If you want to travel in 1st class, go by Smart Price for 50 euros.
On the night trains leaving from Rome, Florence, Bologna, Venice and Milan: 35 euros in couchette in 6-place compartment; 60 euros for a couchette in 4-place compartment. "

You will have to buy the ticket in Italy.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
JandaO - Your link doesn't work. Try www.tinyurl.com to make the link shorter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -