Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you stayed at the Hilton London Euston hotel in London?

Notices

Old Nov 4th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted the same question regarding the Hilton London Paddington hotel.

There were positive responses regarding the hotel but very mixed responses regarding staying in Paddington.

Would the Hilton Euston hotel be a better choice?
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 02:07 AM

Euston is quite far north, I dont think its within walking distance of any of the major tourist areas. It is on the Northern and I think the Victoria line tubes so that would be one positive.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 02:10 AM

If you are looking for a Hilton, there seems to be one at Green Park, Trafalgar, Tower Bridge, Islington, Hyde Park...all of which would be more central
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 03:30 AM
tod

InMiami - I would'nt hesitate at all about booking the Hilton Euston in preference to Paddington!
We love that area and usually stay at the Ibis Hotel in Cardington street alongside the main Euston train station buildings.
Reason? Well, Euston station itself is quite useful. We have breakfast there at a lovely coffee bar (lots of food places)- have booked train seats at their booking counters to other part of the UK. Right outside the main entrance is a huge bus depot with buses leaving for all part of London. We have been known to do the most outlandish things like "catching a bus to nowhere" ! Just get on the first bus that is pulling off and let it take you wherever! Great fun!

In the area is a wonderful fish and chip shop (Leigh street), and in Herbrand/Marchmont streets, a supermarket & launderette and a doctor's rooms(he helped me with my elderley mum on one trip).

Easy walking distance to Russell Square - go and sit in the little park and feed the pigeons whilst you gaze up at the monsterous Hotel Russell made famous in the musical "CATS". Further along you come to the British Museum and the wonderful Waggammama Japanese noodle restaurant - a good bowl of healthy food and cheap.

Historywise: After you have looked at the Greek revival Parish Church of St.Pancras(next to or opp. Hilton ) built in 1822 and based upon the Erectheum on The Acropolis in Athens, see the female figures on the northern outer wall which were originally taller than now but a chunk had to be taken out of the middle of each to make them fit under the roof they are meant to be supporting - walk down Woburn Walk.
It's a tiny short street of restored bow-fronted shops. The high pavement (sidewalk) on the east side was to protect shops fronts from mud thrown up by the carriages. The poet W.B. Yeats lived at No.5 - it leads off Upper Woburn Place into Burton Street then Cartwright Gardens which has a semi-circle of hotels with wonderful floral window boxes. If you follow Marchmont street it comes out at Russell Square tube station. This is the Picadilly line and takes you to most of the major sights like Picadilly circus and the West End.

Can you tell I just love London?!
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 04:06 AM

As I said before, stop fretting this.

The difference between Euston and Paddington as locations is close to zero: our experience with the Euston Hilton is worse than Padsdington - but so what? The London hospitality industry is incapable of consistency. They're both as handy as each other, and a great deal more central than the Hilton Islington or the Hilton "Tower Bridge", which is miles from anywhere.

Both are easily within walking distance of most tourist sites. If you define Piccadilly Circus as the centre, it's 15 minutes from the Euston branch and 25 from Paddington. But it's not the centre, because we don't have a centre, and no-one - not even you - knows precisely where you'll be making for.

I repeat. Stop fretting. The differences are utterly trivial
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:25 AM

Neither Euston or Paddington is "close" to sightseeing places, though certain both are "convenient" to tube network (Euston more convenient than Paddington). Neither neighbourhood has typical London cham. If I have to be there at 11pm, say, I'd probably rather be at Paddington than Euston.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Oops, I was thinking of Hilton Metropolitan also NEAR Paddington. Hilton Paddington IS connected to Paddington station, so it is as convenient as Euston. Just make sure you're not looking at Paddington Metropolitan--it is a hotel next to motorway flyover.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 06:44 AM

"Euston is quite far north, I dont think its within walking distance of any of the major tourist areas. It is on the Northern and I think the Victoria line tubes so that would be one positive."

Depending what you define as walking distance, I disagree with this. Euston is probably a 10 minute walk to the British Museum. Another 4 or 5 to the head of Oxford Street. Maybe 20 minutes to Trafalgar Square. 15 or so to Coven Garden. I don't consider it out of the way at all.

Yes, there are more central locations, but you will pay through the nose for them. And Euston is definitely more central than Paddington or Kensington.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Hi InMiami, have you considered Hilton Canary Wharf( not Docklands). It is not the perfect hotel for being close to tourist attractions, but it is a wonderful hotel, close to tube, DLR and excellent value for money if you are willing to accept the extra travel time as it seems you are if considerin Hilton Euston. Try and get the Bed, Breakfast and 1 night dinner rate. I cannot recall if they had any rates with more than 1 dinner.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help with my London trip.

It is true that I am fretting about which hotel to book.

London has become so expensive for us Americans.

My friends who often travel to Europe are telling me to forget UK until the dollar strengthens.

It seems even these Hiltons with their spotty locations and even spottier reviews are costing more than $225/night and that is when paying entirely on booking. Wow.

I am getting a bit discouraged with my search to find a decent hotel around $200/night.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM

'London has become so expensive for us Americans.

Well, would you be a be to find a
"decent" hotel in Manhattan for $200?

Didn't think so .
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM

I stayed in a decent hotel near Portland, one stop over from Euston and found it to be accessible to most sites. Lots of tourists staying there. Yeah, you're not in the center, but you're not paying center prices.

That was a 3.5* hotel and I paid $90 usd a night. Exchange rate was about 1.25, so well under $125/night. Those were the days, huh?

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:35 AM

Mi>"Well, would you be a be to find a
"decent" hotel in Manhattan for $200?"

InMiami wasn't looking for a hotel in New York.

Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:00 AM
tod

InMiami - If you are looking fora 4/5 star hotel at 2/3star prices - forget it! The cheaper privately run hotels are IMHO either old terraced house conversions where rooms are tiny and walls are thin! OR large (oh! so large)hotels like The Royal National which caters for the tour bus industry.
We have stayed at both and in the end find the chain hotels best value - like I said, The Ibis Euston for around 80 British pounds per night for a twin room is about the middle of the road. At least there is some kind of standard maintained.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 06:21 AM

"

InMiami wasn't looking for a hotel in New York.

No kidding !
My point was that the person is whining about a cost of a "decent" hotel London ( as he puts it "London has become so expensive for us Americans".
My friends who often travel to Europe are telling me to forget UK until the dollar strengthens") where he would not be able to find a hotel (in a world class city )in his own country
for the same amount.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Danon, in fact I found a comfortable hotel in New York for less than $150. It is called the Colonial House, my report can be found in Tripadvisor. Do you have a helpful suggestion concerning lodging in London?
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 10:48 AM

InMiami, is there a reason you don't want to use Priceline? It's the way to go in London--priced in U.S. dollars and WAY below booking directly. Some people advise booking a hotel directly that you can cancel and then bidding on Priceline to see if you can get what you consider a good rate.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:41 AM

"Do you have a helpful suggestion concerning lodging in London?"
No, I stay with friends but I have given you my opinion on Paddington are of London.
Hotels I have stayed in in New York have been around $250( I would not go back to any of them).
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

Carolyn, I am very interested in Priceline.

I have gone to the sites which describe how to use that service.

Somehow I don't seem to find the relevant information.

Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed?
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
as long as you only need a double, Priceline is brilliant for London. Didn't I read on one of your threads that you need a triple? Maybe I have you mixed up w/ a different poster. Anyway IF you do need a triple you can't use PL since it only deals w/ doubles/twins.

biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com will give you pointers on how to bid and which hotels tend to show up in which PL zones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO