Have you rented auto from Gemut?

Oct 24th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Have you rented auto from Gemut?

Has anyone rented an automobile from Gemut by booking online? We are looking for some feedback on this company before renting from them. Service? Was the price what was promised? Were the locations open and running? Any review would be helpful. Thank you.
Oct 24th, 2007, 05:49 AM

We just got back from a trip to Germany and rented a car through Gemut for use while there. They are a reseller so our reservation was actually through Auto Europe. I had checked out different car rentals and decided to go with them for two reasons, because they would guarantee a GPS system at no charge and also because they came up with the best price for us. We paid up front and had a voucher fully paid when we arrived. With the declining value of the dollar, that turned out to be a good thing for us, but there was also an option to pay part and the balance at another time. I don't remember the details of that.

Andy from Gemut was really easy to work with, always returned calls and addressed any questions I had promptly. When we arrived at the car rental agency, we showed them the voucher and everything went smoothly. In fact, Andy had told us there would be a 7E charge for an extra driver. While we showed drivers licenses and gave information for both drivers, we were never charged for the extra driver. I had no problems at all and would use them again.

I believe others on this forum also have been satisfied with their services. I'm sure you'll get more feedback.

Cindy
Oct 24th, 2007, 05:56 AM

Yes. We used Gemut for our trip to Germany and Benelux last year. Everything worked out great.
Oct 24th, 2007, 06:01 AM
LN

Yes, we used Gemut last year for a month's rental in Germany. They gave everything that they promised. The price never changed and we were very happy with the car.

We had opted for a VW Passat and then received an Opal station wagon and we didn't believe we were pleased about that. Well, we were very pleased, the car was great, had power on the Autobahn and was extremely comfortable to drive.

Locations were open and running and we had no difficulties at all.

Yes, we'll definitely use them again.
Oct 24th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Yes, and ditto all the above. I requested a diesel both times and that's what I got. Fear not!!
Oct 24th, 2007, 06:11 AM

We rented from Gemut last September in Tuscany and were very satisfied with the service. We were charged more than quoted by Andy at Avis and on our return I called Andy and he looked into it and a few days later the extra fee was deducted.
Oct 24th, 2007, 06:36 AM
ira

Hi C,

Gemut is very reputable, and very good.

We used them last year.

For our upcoming trip, they got me a car for $150 less than the AE US site rate.

Oct 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM
kja

I was very satisfied with Gemut - they were promptly responsive to my questions and got me a better deal than I found elsewhere, and the arrangements were all as advertised.
Oct 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM

We've used Gemut several times for car rental in Europe, the last time being for 3 weeks this past May. They are very easy to work with and will continue using them.
Oct 24th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Another satisfied customer here.

We used Gemut this past June for a rental in Germany. They offered to match or beat any price I could find on the internet, and they did.

We ended up with an unexpected upgrade upon arrival.
Oct 24th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Gemut. is excellent. I have used them the last 4 trips. In fact I just returned and a 4 week rental 776 us. I have always got a free upgrade and a diesel. I pick the car up in Kelsterbach and save the 19% tax. Very good company with great service. sister
Oct 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM

I too recommend Gemut.com. Andy is fantastic and a great help. However, for my past three European trips when I've needed a van (because the wife insists on inviting every freakin' relative she knows!) I have found better deals elsewhere. This might only be true when it comes to 9 psgr van rentals, but my experience is that Auto Europe and Avis were more than $300 cheaper than Gemut for a two week rental. And even though Gemut promises to beat any competitor, they insist on payment at time of booking. With so many traveling with us my plans have to remain fluid and I would rather not lock myself into a firm booking with payment up front.
Oct 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM

We (extended family of 6) rented two vehicles through Gemut last May/June. Our rental ended up being through the EuropCar office in Wurzburg. We had a lot of problems... the office was closed when we arrived and we spent $23 on phone calls to the US to AutoEurope and Gemut to get someone to at least tell us where to pick up the keys, the additional drivers that were supposed to be already on each rental agreement were not there, they gave us one really small car (smaller than we reserved) but there was no discount, and finally... once we arrived home we ended up being billed over 300€ more than the voucher rate. It took over 2 months to get it resolved and we still ended up being overcharged somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 - $40 but I was too sick of the ordeal to mess with getting that back.

My advice would be that if you do use Gemut (which goes through AutoEurope almost all of the time), be sure that you don't end up with EuropCar. There are several other complaint threads on Fodors that tell stories of other folks having a lot of problems with EuropCar as well.
Oct 24th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Forgot to add that a piece of the unresolved overcharge I mentioned related to exchange rate issues. In €, we ended up only being overcharged (after all the refunds) about 10€. However, somehow with the exchange rate differences from when we booked the cars (late 2006) and some other random fees, it was a lot higher in US $ (still not that much compared to the original overcharge of 300+ €!)
Oct 24th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Zeus, even though you make your payment up front, you can cancel your reservation with Gemut at ANY time and get a refund without any penalty.

Every time I have reserved with Gemut, it is usually several months in advance so I always continue to check to see if the rate goes down prior to our departure. It never has, but if it did, I know I could cancel my existing reservation and rebook at the lower rate.
Oct 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the feedback. I did find a similar post on this site with the same question I had.

Both offers we have from Gemut are through Europcar! While the rates are lower than I have found elsewhere, I am hesitant to take it because of the negative reports on this site for Europcar. Although it sounds like Andy has "fixed" some of the problems after return to US - I'd rather not deal with that.

Oct 25th, 2007, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

I read the post earlier this year regarding car rentals in Europe - it has almost exactly the same title as mine.

Yikes - do we even want to rent a car in Europe? So many people who are getting charged more - one guy charged 99 euros for gas when he had filled up the tank before dropping off! When you can't read the paperwork because it's not your language and they have your credit card - it's a little frightening!!!!

What to do?
Oct 25th, 2007, 08:38 AM

Hi Cindywho,

I just wanted to let you know that Andy (Gemut) actually didn't help resolve our massive overcharge problem. I emailed and called him for a week before finally getting a response from someone else at the company telling me they forwarded my complaint to AutoEurope and I would need to deal with them directly. So the only assistance I got from Gemut was them forwarding on my complaint.
Oct 25th, 2007, 09:25 AM

Cindywho, when we rented thru Gemut, we picked up our car in Kelsterbach near Frankfurt Airport from Avis. We did get a copy of the rental agreement in English and the lady who works there also spoke very good English.

I have never dealt with Europcar, so I can't offer you any assurances about that.
Oct 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

TexasAggie-

I read your posts on the earlier thread - it sounded like a nightmare. If you are like us, we have everything budgeted close because we don't have loads and loads of money. That's too bad. Andy is who I am dealing with via email, however, if I go forward I will speak by phone with him.

BettyK - If you rented from gemut, they are a broker - who was the actual car agency?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO