Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have you had success booking tickets separately using miles?

Sep 26th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
A couple of weeks ago, some of you suggested that I purchase our airline tickets using miles (upgrades x2) now, and then buy the rest of the tickets we need (coachx4) later when the prices may get better?

Have any of you actually done this? I have been looking at costs for flying on Lufthansa (where my inlaws have miles to use) and it's $1500 right now from LAX to MXP in June 2004. Which seems really high to me. If I buy their tickets now, what are my chances of getting us on the same flight booking in Jan to get a better rate.

This is really making me nervous, so I would really appreciate any input you could give me.
Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but its the first time I've had to worry about this whole upgrade thing before.
Thank you for the help!
DebiC
PS...This trip is a gift from the in-laws and I don't want to use up the whole trip budget on airfare if you know what I mean
Sep 27th, 2003, 01:04 AM

I've always been too chicken to try it.

But that $1500. fare really does seem high..British Air has the same route , arriving at about the same time for $850. for June 2004.

If you can't get on the same plane or airline couldn't you just arrange a meeting point .

There's a good chance if you wait till Jan it will be okay, but you still might find a better price on another carrier.

Sep 27th, 2003, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Jody,
I saw the British Air rate, and I thought about meeting them there...I didnt think that I saw a flight that landed close the Lufthansa one, but I will check again..
I am pretty sure that when we went in late Sept 2001 it was $1000 to fly and we booked in January, but I dont know if Sept airfares are a lot different than June.
If anyone else has any insight I would appreciate it.
Thanks!
DebiC
Sep 27th, 2003, 06:22 AM

I don't know where MXP is for comparison, but I think you are asking whether a flight during June 2004 is likely to be cheaper than what you paid for the same flight at the end of Sept? No, in my experience it should be about the same or if anything higher. June is high season to Europe. Late September used to be Fall season but in the last couple of years, it seems like many airlines are extending peak season into September now, although perhaps not to the very end of it. IN any case, I would never expect a June flight to be cheaper than late September, normally.

I would wait as it's so early to need to pin something down for next June.
Sep 27th, 2003, 07:28 AM

I have actually done this, but it is a bit risky--the time I did it, I couldn't get the same flights back as what I had used miles for--ended up having to call the airline and book through them--which did get me the same flights, but at a higher price than what I had found on the website. So now, I usually just book them all at the same time-if being on the exact same flights is not that important, then I would wait.
Sep 27th, 2003, 07:55 AM

MXP is Milano Malpensa.
I would personally wait until January, probably because the airline companies usually introduce new fare levels in january, and at the moment they might only have the actual ones valid until december 2003 or march 2004.
Sep 27th, 2003, 08:01 AM

For those that love Raoul Bova, have a look at www.raoulbova.it. Plenty of photos
Sep 27th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I think I will hold off a bit on buying those tickets.
I appreciate all the input.
DebiC