Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Have any of you heard of/stayed at these placesin Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!!!! I'm planning my first solo trip to Italy for May 2007 and have been doing my research on accomodations in Florence, Siena, and Rome. I've come up with a couple of places I'd like to stay but would like to hear what you all think.

In Florence there's a place called Residenza Johanna and Johlea (www.johanna.it) and it looks like a great deal in a great location (historic center) - have any of you stayed here and what was your experience?

In Siena I found Antica Torre (www.anticatorresiena.it) and it's also in a great location - inside the city walls. Anyone know anything about this place?

And finally, Rome. Truly, I've become overwhelmed with trying to find a place to stay in Rome and I'm hoping that some of you have some great suggestions. My budget for accomodations is 70 euros a night and I'd rather not stay near Termini station (I did my first time in Rome and it felt kinda shady to me).

So, if ya'll have some good ideas please send them to me!

Thanks!!!
~Ahissa
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:30 AM

Ahissa--We stayed at the Johlea several years ago when the rate was around 100E per night. We found it through Karen Brown and really liked our room. It was spacious with hardwood floors, a loft area, and nice bathroom. There is a rooftop terrace and the hotel is in a good location. The hotel shares an old building with several medical offices.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Ahissa, for Rome you have several options to stay within your budget but not near Termini.
* Check convents.
* Check http://www.eurocheapo.com/Rome
* Check out these hotels - http://www.hoteljulia.it
http://www.hotelpanda.it
* Check out B&Bs here:
http://www.b-b.rm.it

Check Venere.com - particularly the B&Bs.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Nina - yeah, this place looks too good to pass up - I was quoted 55 euro a night and I think I may take it - I think that Johanna is less expensive than Johlea (which quoted me 90 euro). Thanks again Nina
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks WillTravel! I'm going to search these links now! Thanks!!!
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Ahissa, I stayed at the Antica Torre in Siena a few years ago. It is a simple small hotel in a great location, but you don't think so when you first arrive. The very best part about it is that it is just a block or so away from the Cane e Gatto restaurant that you must not miss. It is also an easy stroll into the area around the main square and the cathedral. A few drawbacks: It is a really tiny place and the owner smokes constantly, and the smoke wafts up the stairs. The owner overcharged me 10 euros even though I showed her a copy of the email confirming the rate quoted. But it was a comfortable, perfectly adequate hotel.
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Teacherlady - I don't think I can stay at Antica Torre anyway, they just quoted me 90 euro a night and that's a bit steep for a single room. Thanks!
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:50 AM

I haven't been to Siena yet, but I have read recommendations of Alma Domus as good budget accommodation.
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:10 AM

The Hotel Florida near the vatican is very nice and is all non smoking if that is a positive for you. They are about 10 euro more than your budget for a single, but they sometimes do shared rooms for about 40 euro each. We found it to be as advertised and were very satisfied. See eurocheapo.com for details. It is on a main street in a safe area. Noise was not a problem. I have heard good things about a hotel called The Colors but have never been there. It is in your price range. It is also described on the eurocheapo site.
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:26 AM

We stayed at the Johanna many years ago. We found it in a book called...Hotels and Inns of Character and Charm in Italy, or something. At that time it was really cheap. I think their prices have gone up, so I'm not sure it's such the deal anymore. But we enjoyed it. We stayed 2 times, and the second time we got a really big room with a tiny balcony. We liked the area: out of the bustle of the center but well within walking distance.

Old May 16th, 2006, 09:33 AM

I can highly recommend this convent in Rome:
Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri
Via San Giuseppe Calasanzio 1

45 Euro for a single with shared bath, elevator, croissant breakfast.
Fabulous location just a couple of minutes from Piazza Navona.

email them at [email protected]
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM

I recently stayed at the Residenza Johlea and highly recommend it. My room was great, cozy, quiet, and with pleasant aromatherapy. With windows facing a small interior courtyard garden, I awoke to birds singing in the trees. Also, the staff were very helpful and friendly.
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM

I have stayed solo at the Hotel Julia in Rome and do recommend it. It was clean, safe, and a good value with brakfast included.
It is a short walk to the Trevi