Hats in London and Paris

Search

Hats in London and Paris

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hats in London and Paris

My posting on hats in London and Europe has disappeared, so I'll ask again. Having not much hair up there, I need to wear a hat when walking around in London and Paris my family and I travel there in June. What's appropriate? I own mostly baseball caps, but something tells me that might not cut it. And yes, I know a gentleman removes his hat indoors! Any suggestions?
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:17 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...otta&fid=2

It's in the US forum! And has about 8 replies so far....

To find your posts, just click on your username near the upper left corner of the screen, and/or within any thread to which you've posted/
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Are you really so inconceivably dense that you are unable to understand in a public place you can wear whatever you wish. Wear a baseball cap, not one person with bat an eyelid. Better still try to find a hat with a soft wide brim that flops completely over your face.

It's a tiny item to pack, there's no issue here, once again i ask you to crawl out of whatever orifice you have managed to get your head firmly stuck up.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

Dear Sir,

Perhaps you would consider suspending any contact you have with the public until whatever has flown up your backside flies back out again. Then, you might be in a better mood.

Peace.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:25 PM

I wear ( and collect ) hats all the time. I will usually wear a snap-brim fedora ( straw or felt depending on weather )versus a cap, to protect the ears and back of neck. But I can guarantee you will see caps everwhere, and not just on the visitors.

I never felt out of place anywhere in europe or anywhere else.

Rich
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Hey M_Kingdom,

Someone asks a legitimate question and you become obnoxious. Take our your obvious self esteem issues with your therapist, not people on message boards!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Are we too quick in assuming "sir"?

I'd love for you to explain this huge psychological barrier that you face in deciding whether to pack an item which can be folded into your pocket or a small hand luggage.

Perhaps you are a smalltime person living in a smalltime town. London has a population of over six million people, "smiroglotta" in a baseball cap, I can assure you, will not be hitting the headlines. You could walk around dressed head to toe in Prada's latest collection or in nothing except a pair of underpants for modesty, in either case no one really cares.

For all smalltime Americans: Europe is a large place, people don't care what you wear. Lots of Londoners wear baseball caps, lots don't. You cannot avoid looking like the American tourist that you are, so don't waste so much effort and endure the stress caused by such anguish and anxieties.

Hopefully you will more than appreciate my point when the little fish in a small pond lands with a splash as a smaller fish in an ocean.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Dear Sir or Madame Kingdom,

Have the doctors given you any hope of recovering your personality? Tis a pity to imagine anyone being stuck with yours for the rest of his or her life!

Peace, once again
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 02:57 PM

smiroglotta,
Your replies to m kingdom have me laughing, no roaring, out loud. Much warranted, I might add!

Suse
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:15 PM

smiroglotta:

Like Suse your replies to m kingdom have me laughing out loud.

Yes by all means wear your baseball cap. It is appropriate.

Sandy

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:22 PM

smiroglotta, great come backs! IMO I say wear a hat, but not a baseball cap.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Personally, I don't think baseball caps are either flattering or appropriate on people other than young boys or athletes on the field.

And I don't understand how anyone with m_kingdom's supposed sense of high fashion could suggest that wearing them in London is a good idea if he - and I do think he's a he or a she who's had a sex change, more likely the latter - is so determinedly uppity about his own attire. But I digress...

Wear a hat if you like, but a more stylish one than a baseball cap. There may be thousands of Londoners wearing baseball caps, but that doesn't make them look any better, either. Some of the worst-dressed people I've ever seen were in London.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:38 PM

I'm just a little curious. Assuming a guy is going very casual, let's say khakis and a polo or t-shirt, what kind of hat is considered more appropriate than a baseball cap? We aren't talking about a guy in suit and tie wearing a baseball cap, we're talking about super casual. I rarely wear a baseball cap except when walking on the beach or a hike in the mountains, but I look damn silly in khakis, polo, and a beret or a sombrerro.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 04:45 PM

Well, I'm just a little curious, too. I think a guy in khakis and a polo shirt who puts on a baseball cap has just dumbed down his outfit a bit.

But to answer your question as to what kind of hat he should wear, certainly not a beret or sombrero - I'm really not quite sure. Maybe that's because I almost never wear hats but ALWAYS notice when other people are wearing them, and most of the time I don't like what I see. Seems to me you have to really have a good sense of fashion to pick an appropriate hat.

Old Mar 5th, 2004, 05:25 PM

Ok, now I get it. I guess you and I are talking about two different things here. I wasn't referring to a person trying to make a fashion statement. I was talking about a casually dressed guy "bumming around" and needing something on his head for sun protection (yes this is a big issue for many men with serious skin cancer problems and little or no hair -- neither of which is a problem for me, by the way). Sometimes I think it's fine for a person to be casual. If that means wearing khakis, polo shirt, and baseball cap I think that's fine, you obviously don't.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:02 PM

..just a suggestion for something(?anything) other than a baseball cap (and my comments have NOTHING to do with tourists)..a Tilley hat..a bit dorkey..more the geek look than the trailer park..does keep the sun off the ears and most of the face..
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:05 PM

Not to belabor the point, because I don't really consider this a serious issue, but doesn't sunscreen work on head skin?
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:10 PM

I'm not talking bald, but fairly thin hair. If we're going to talk fashion statement here, have you ever seen what an average head of hair looks like when its lathered with sunscreen? Not a pretty sight. Trust me the baseball cap is better. My partner's doctor recommends he wear a hat, regardless of sunscreen whenever outdoors, not only in sun.
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:11 PM

And funny, you mention the Tilley hat, travelbunny, that's what my partner has and wears in his convertible. But I'll be damned if I'd walk down a street in Paris with him wearing that thing!!!
Old Mar 5th, 2004, 06:14 PM

Ok, I give up. I trust you. Still, I bet the majority of guys wearing baseball cap don't have issues like thinning hair and having to wear sunscreen to protect their pates - it's just an American custom, and I still think it looks less than fashionable. Peace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -