Has husband lost his mind?

Sep 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Has husband lost his mind?

My DH, who usually is very sensible has come up with the idea that we should pack ultra light and BUY most of our clothes when we get to Rome for our 2 week trip! Has he lost his mind? I don't want to sound ungrateful but since this is so not like him I don't know how fesible this is. Are there places to buy reasonably priced clothing or should I demand my "real" hubby back and pack as usual?
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:50 AM

I can't imagine spending a significant part of my two week vacation shopping for regular clothes (not one of a kind items).
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Ditto above. It's not that you couldn't conceivably do this, but I'm very picky about my clothes and it would take several days at best for me to buy a new wardrobe for a two week trip. Not my idea of fun in Europe!!
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:55 AM

I think it depends totally on the two of you. Are you both people who love to spend a lot of time on a trip shopping? If so, then for you it could be fun. If it's your first trip to Italy and you're mainly there to see everything and enjoy the country and the food, then it might not be so much fun!
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I don't know if he's lost his mind, but I don't think this is a good idea.
1. Agree with Monica--why waste the time?
2. Due to exchange rate, the clothes are going to be more expensive in Italy.
3. The cut of the clothes, especially for men, is going to be different than what you are used to. For men, it will be a much more fitted cut. If either of you are average or above average sized Americans, just finding clothes to fit can be a challenge.
Sep 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM

yes, he is nuts. I have trouble buying "everyday" clothes in Italy as I am tall(5'10"" 140 lbs) so I dont seem to have a build that works. Why go to Europe to go shopping?- you can do that at home and save a plane trip.
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Grinisa is so right. You'll pay a fortune b/c of the Euro exchange rate, and the sizing (and style) will make it difficult.

Plus, if you buy most of your clothes there, will you bring an empty suitcase or duffel with you to bring them all home with you? Will you ship the clothes home?

Just pack reasonably, with less bulky clothes. Get a good suitcase that's easy to manuever (a huge duffel with wheels or a suitcase with 4, full-rotating wheels).
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Last time we traveled to Rome, we had requests from friends there to please bring them basic cotton t-shirts and underwear (Fruit of the Loom, Hanes, etc.), as the same quality/prices were hard to come by there.

From you screen name, I am guessing you are from the USA (Alabama?) - and the exchange rate will eat up your vacation budget fast enough as it is - no reason the buy basic clothing in Rome, when the same apparel is probably a fifth the price in the US.
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:08 AM

Maybe he's just trying to get out of packing...
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:08 AM

you would find all of the clothes outrageously expensive
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:09 AM

Not a good idea.

BUT - is he maybe trying to tell you something?? Do you over pack? Is he tired of schlepping all that "stuff". If so - just pack lighter and all is well. If you aren't an "everything but the kitchen sink" packer, then, his idea doesn't make sense.
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:10 AM

Shopping in Europe should be a spontaneous fun pastime, not a chore or mission. Murphy's Law says that if you are looking for something in particular -- chances are you won't find it!!!
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:17 AM

This would certainly get over the problem of looking like an American tourist.

Is he taking white shoes?
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM

bamababe
Let your husband leave his undershorts back home and buy some Italian versions. He's never going to do stupid thoughts about this ever again.

I forgot mine before I left for a trip. The purchased selection was very different what I normally wanted. Ask him if he can use button-flyed shorts.

Blackduff
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM

So you only want to pack ultra-light one way? How does he anticipate getting what he buys home? Maybe he likes disposable fashion. Go on the shopping spree BEFORE the trip.
Sep 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM

1) If you've got perfectly good clothes at home why spend all the time (and money - at euro not dollar prices) buying all your clothing there?

2) What will you do with the clothing after you buy it? If it won't fit in your tiny case you can;t get it to the next city - and you'll have no place to pack it to take it home. Will you throw it all out before you leave?

If he really want to take only a tiny carry-on it would be much more sensible - and cost a lot less, and not take up valuable vacation time - to ship your clothes each way.
Sep 15th, 2007, 10:15 AM
ira

HI B,

>..we should pack ultra light and BUY most of our clothes when we get to Rome for our 2 week trip! <

What was he drinking or smoking before he came up with the idea?

Does he plan on throwing away the purchases before returning?

Sep 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM

buy a few small purchases and bring the rest.

both you and him happy.
Sep 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Tell him to enjoy his shopping excursions, as you will be out viewing the piazzas, the churches, the art, the ruins, having a drink, a pizza, dodging the Italian pinches, and so on. After all, he can look at the photos later.
Sep 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Wow, I expected some response but not this many. To answer your questions:

Yes, I'm from Alabama and I know prices in italy are higher ( my exact answer to his idea)

No, I don't think he was drinking or smoking anything illict

Me either, don't really want to spend vacation time shopping for what I already have at home ( although I do like to shop as well as the next person)

No, I don't over pack. My philosophy is if you don't have it you can't wear it. No problem.

No, he doesn't own any white shoes, unless you count white running shoes

Umm, I think the idea was to take an empty suitcase and bring back what we bought in it

I didn't think this was a good idea but I thought I would aks my fellow Fodities and get your opinions. Now that I have i will do as I always do.... pack lightly, enjoy my vacation and buy a beautiful purse to remember the trip .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO